Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Nearly 1 yo dog starting to chew

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by SillyTilly82, Aug 25, 2013.

1. SillyTilly82

SillyTilly82 PetForums Member

Tilly is nearly 1 (next month) and has never really chewed things, even when she was teething. However now-a-days she is always looking for the next thing to chew. She does have a few toys, but atm they are all out the back garden wet because she takes them out and i dont notice, then it rains.
    I was just wondering if this is normal and why she could be doing it? She was spayed last week, but she had started to chew just before then.
    Thanks.

2. Hopeattheendofthetunnel

Hopeattheendofthetunnel PetForums VIP

Just a guess....boredom? Or maybe she was coming up to her next season and it is a form of PMS :) Or has there been a change in her environment? In which case it might be stress related chewing.

Could you get her some cheap new toys from a supermarket or ebay ( or even second hand shops) - anything you don't mind having destroyed. A lot of dogs find boxes and cartons quite entertaining for ripping-up toys.

Has she got a kong or any specific chews she is allowed to chew?

What exactly is she chewing at the moment? Furniture and shoes? Or just her toys?

3. SillyTilly82

It could be boredom sue to not being walked as much as she usually is due to the kids being off. I used to walk her for an hour after dropping them off at school, but i cannot leave them in the house while i take her out so its shorter walks, plus with her just being spayed she's had no walks for a week.

She is chewing almost anything, kids' toys, her toys, shoes, sofa cushions. I forgot to mention that she has started to bite us (playfully) when we play with her (or sometimes even when we are not-its not aggressively though)

She does have a kong-its also in the garden somewhere (oh hasn't cut the grass in a while :rolleyes:) I will buy some more toys on tuesday for her when i'm over the £ shop way. Hopefully hers will dry out soon-she does like being in the garden!

4. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

The worse chewing stage is when the adult teeth settle into the jaw, which can be anything from 9 mths to about 14 mths 'ish'. They almost need to chew.

Personally I'd stuff several Kongs with something tasty and freeze them to keep her entertained.

5. SillyTilly82

I've just raked in the garden and found her kong (shes only got 1 red one and a pink puppy one) and filled it with the last of the paté. Its keeping her quiet for 5 minutes lol.

Oh and thanks Twiggy, maybe that is what it is then? Do you know how long it usually lasts?

#5 SillyTilly82, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  6. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Well again it depends on breed etc. but not too long.

Long enough for some of them to do considerable damage to skirting boards, chair legs, carpets, etc. etc. as I've found to my cost over the years.....LOL

One of my collies chewed the skirting board that replaced the chewed skirting board that replaced the chewed skirting board - bless!! Husband wasn't very pleased.

7. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

It could be the teeth settling-in business (though that happened at around 8 months with my collie) - the timing will depend on size and breed. I think it's worth having a good look in her mouth (ideally have a vet or vet-nurse do it). There could be something amiss in there like a tooth that hasn't come through straight, or an infection.

8. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

That happened with Joshua. He never chewed a single thing till he was eight months old, then the leather sofa went and so did the stair carpet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice