Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Naughty Springer pup

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by riajayne, Jul 8, 2009.

1. riajayne

riajayne PetForums Newbie

Milo is 9 months old and he can be very naughty. He bounces around dancing like hes in a competition. He hates the cats and sometimes terrorises my other dogs. I have his mum plus another female springer and a female labby and a female retriever. The labby hates him and is always growling at him. He never listens. He is always on the go and has soo much energy. He is starting to learn no means no. He jumps up at the table and nicks food, he jumps on the sofa when we are eating and tries to steal our food. His main problem is the jumping up. Even if we are just walking he jumps up at us all the time. We have tried turning our back to him but it doesnt seem to be working. He in the vets 20th July to be neuteres but they have said this might not help. Any advice on what i can do???

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

How much exercise is he getting?

How much training a day?

What are you feeding him?

3. riajayne

He gets a run in the morning which my sister does. A run in the evening and then again about 10ish pm. He has training throughout the day and has 4 other dogs to run around with. Hes on Chudleys dry food and a tin of pedigrum chum every other day

4. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

well you at least seem used to the breed, some springers are more springy than others - ive seen litters where they are all doing doggy walks and there will be one that is trying to lick your face from the floor.
    I dont really know how to stop it, maybe just a regular and firm correction when he does - though dont shout as this could scare him or make him more excited when you dont follow through with your warning.
    If hes getting a good hours worth of exercise a day he should be resonably well behaved, Have you gone into further training with him? Maybe return to puppy classes as they do need to be mentally allert or they make their own rules.
    Id personally cut the pedigree chum out and see if that makes a difference - its got very little nutrition in it so although you may not see him misbehaving on the same day - the sugars stored in him will come out the following. Give him a carrot, pieces of swede or apple (no cores) to fill him up.
    :)
    A return to traing is probably the best option though :D

5. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

We have had 3 springers, own 2 now, when you say about the walks you dont mention the length of the walks and the type of walks. It is not the walks measured in time but i think more importantly the type of walks especially if he is a working springer, off lead is important to a springers excercise and they need fields, woods to be able to work in this gives them the physical excercise and mental. Make sure his food is as natural as possible and is not too high in protein. Noise aversion is a good way of stopping the jumping and food pinching if its just a clap of the hand or a spoon on a surface this will immediatly get his attention then you can praise him and reward him this way he is actually stopping what he is doing by himself and not you physically removing him or getting hin down.

6. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

I would get him off the pedigree chum it has additives in it that is know to cause hyperactivity in children

juliex

7. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

Why not apple core James?

8. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

they contain mild concentrations of arsenic :D

9. riajayne

All my dogs get off lead runs. They are on the lead until they get to the meadows which is about 5 mins away and then they run around the meadows for about an hour. They also run around our block completley off the lead. It was the vet that actually suggested putting him on Pedigree Chum as it has less additives then what he was on before. I have found an agility class that starts this sunday so we are going to that and hes also enrolled back into training classes but they do not start until september. Milo has alot more energy then my other 2 springers and his Dad is my Nans dog and he is not even as bad as Milo. He is always on the go which is not so much the problem its the jumping about. Its like hes dancing but its 24/7 and of course causes a problem when you have other dogs.

10. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

Thank's for that:)

11. rona

rona Guest

I'm sure dogs should be 12 months before you start proper agility classes, you could damage joints.
    Is this a pre agility class or will your dog be expected to jump?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice