Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Naughty puppy please help!.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Victoria3, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Victoria3

Victoria3 PetForums Newbie

Hi, I have had my puppy Bentley for a few months now. Up until now he has been the most well behaved puppy I could imagine, he is obedient and always used his puppy pad in the house from the first few days. He is a small chi x jack and is now 6 months old.
    A few nights ago me and my partner done our usual routine of going to bed, with Bentley who has his bed at the foot of ours and his puppy pad close. He will usually use the pad every time he needs to go, however I am now waking up to mess only on my side of the bed, I have shown him the mess and told him he was a bad boy, which usually works!. He goes straight to his bed and hangs his head the other direction like he knows he has been naughty, but this morning he done his number one on the floor by where I sleep and then his number two on the pad to which he ran around to my partners side of the bed and whined for a treat (my partner will religiously give a treat if he's 'been a good boy on the pad')
    I don't know what to do!. I don't know what has changed this behaviour or why this is happening, can anyone help?.

I am firm but fair with Bentley, he will only pretty much take instruction from me, I would NEVER hurt him but it seems it is always my duty to do the telling off and the bad bits.
    My partner is a nightmare with him, he gets away with anything when he is around and I can't even kiss my partner and cuddle him without Bentley jumping up in between us and licking my partner to death... I'm worried the spoilt affections he is showing and lack of discipline on my partners behalf is doing this, I hope I'm wrong but I cannot think why a puppy so well behaved and good could go back steps. Any help or advice will be greatly recieved
    Thanks for taking your time to read :)

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

I wonder if you are ever thinking of having children?

When they make a potty training mistake will you scold them and send them to their bed?

Why not think about your daily routine and think why he may be doing this.

Do you know what time he makes a mess?

Perhaps you could adjust his feeding and walking schedule?

3. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Just want to say, when you tell him he has been a bad boy he doesn't know what he has done wrong.
    Mine are 6 years old and still have their mishaps.

4. lives2hope

lives2hope PetForums Newbie

I would have a couple questions. #1 being at six months why is he still using puppy pee pads? #2 has he been neutered?

My suggestion would be to kennel train him and have him neutered if he has not been already. (as he could be marking keep in mind it takes some time for hormones to die down in his system after neutering) I think in a lot of ways puppy pads can be counter productive to training a dog to use the bathroom outside which is what I think most of us want ideally.

Here is what I would do, phase out the pads. I would not give any food 4 hours before bed and I would not give water 2 hours before bed. Every night before bed take him for a 15-45 minute walk. Let it be a more relaxing walk give him lots of time to sniff and plenty of opportunities to use the bathroom. At night I would put him in a kennel (made for his size not one too large). If he needs to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night set an alarm to take him to go outside then put him back in the kennel. Clean every spot he has gone on very well with pet safe cleaner and one that hides the smell. Make sure for now while you are having problems that you take him out within an hour of him drinking or eating anything.

As far as discipline goes you have to remember that dogs are not people. They don't think like we do. He doesn't really know by the morning what it was that he did wrong. He is responding to the tone of your voice and your mannerisms not his action when 'he knows he did something wrong'. If you don't catch him in the act drop the discipline and go for a strong routine instead.

Often times we give our dogs credit for things we shouldn't have. I have a border collie who's command vocabulary is over 90 words. I really do understand how smart they can be, but part of knowing that is also knowing their limitations. My dog does not reason about what she did three hours ago or even 20 minutes ago.

Also remember, it is always best to have everyone in the house especially with a young dog on the same page. but make sure your on the right page, sit down and talk with your partner about the rules and boundaries you want to set up for the dog in the house. Make sure they are also heard about what they want to do. If they do not follow the plan you make together, then well what can I tell you other then my husband doesn't either, loves to spoil and allow our dogs to do whatever they want, but I have trained all of them and when I am around there is never a problem. YOu can't control what another adult decides to do but you can control your own actions. I have proof you can train your dog even when your partner is on a totally different page. It takes a little more time and effort but it can be done make sure you are consistent and everything should turn out well.

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

At 6mths old he should be toilet trained properly and only go outside by now, except maybe for the very occasional accident. Some can get trained and have a bit of a relapse, but usually a few days intensive outside training again gets them back on track. Puppy pads or paper should have been long gone by now.
    In fact still having paper or pads often just confuses them if your trying to get them to eliminate outside only as it just gives the message that inside the house it OK too.

Telling them off can actually make it worse too especially in some pups, as it can make them nervous about going in front of you and also more likely to sneak off and do it out of sight. Also if you tell them off after the event they don't even usually associate it with the deed, all they know is that you are angry for some reason.

At 6months he is starting to become an adolescent and its not unusual once they become more independant to start pushing at boundaries to see what they can get away with and start to not listen or be responsive to commands as they once were. That's why ongoing training is more important then ever at this stage.

Small dogs need just as much training as bigger dogs they are no different.
    I would get rid of the pads and start toilet training again from scratch teaching him to go outside. Up obedience training sessions and even enrol him in an obedience training class, then practice the exercises and commands you have learned on a daily basis at home through the week.

6. Victoria3

Victoria3 PetForums Newbie

Unfortunately due to the weather and the time of year we got Bentley it has been a slow process, our routine however has not changed which is why I am worried....
    We wake up and he is taken outside for morning toilet, he will let us know already at his tender young age that he needs the toilet.... Very clever puppy. Throughout the day I am in and out due to work, he has an afternoon walk every day and is good as gold, the mat remains in our routine as he knows to use it if he can't get outside.
    My partner works late and when he gets in at 11 we do our chilling out, take Bentley out for last toilet and go up to bed with Bentley. Our bedroom consists of a pad for Bentley, which he has used totally fine up until now, a bed (he was in a crate every night but after battling with my partner over the whole puppy prison thing I lost and the crate went) and a small bowl of water (again a lost battle)
    He will wake me up in the morning apart from when I'm usually up and we go down for morning toilet. Now you have heard the routine let me tell you what has happened... The last few nights we have gone up to bed, Bentley comes to my side of the bed and does his business, I haven't been able to get him to the pad quick enough so I firmly tell him no and bad boy. Also I have woken up to morning toilets too, which at first I told him off but my partner told me off for doing so, so I left it. I have written to you guys on here because it's unusual behaviour for my dog that hasn't happened before, even when he was very young, leading me to believe that it's not toilet issues that he is struggling with.

7. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

If you both don't want to take him out in the night when he wakes and/or crate him then I suggest a puppy play pen so he is contained to one area of the bedroom with space for his bed, water and puppy pad.

Puppies often take a few steps back in their training - just like human todlers do - when this happens it's just a case of going back to basics and starting again until they remember.

8. lives2hope

lives2hope PetForums Newbie

If he is using the bathroom outside of his normal schedule you could be looking at many different things. However no matter how you spin it at his age he should be able to hold his bladder overnight unless there is something wrong. The reason why I am against pee pads is because it does train the dog to use the bathroom inside which is not something you want ideally. It is much easier for them to understand outside you use the bathroom inside you don't.

Things that I would check for are if he has a UTI, they can be more common then you would think and often can pop up in young dogs, especially if they have been spayed or neutered too young. But if this was the case normally you would see little pee pees everywhere. It could be excitement, fear or submission related. It could also be marking. If you come into a room and he does a little pee pee that would generally be submission related he's telling you 'your the boss'. This is something puppies often do. They also can get overly excited and pee or fearful and pee.

Whatever system you have that has worked in the past is obviously not working now. Something is going on, I would suggest getting him checked out by your vet if he checks out physically then you know you have deal with the mental part. I would suggest putting him in puppy prison (way too funny). But to me it sounds more like this issue is something you and your partner need to work out.

9. lisaslovelys

lisaslovelys PetForums VIP

Mine goes out no matter what the weather and if she wakes in the night she will whine gently to let me know she has to go out and in the daytime she will run off out to the door and ring her bell to let me know she needs to go out and she is only 11 weeks old .. I think using a pad and taking a puppy outside to toilet is giving mixed signals . Honey knows that she is supposed to go outside and not inside and she always receives praise and a treat everytime she goes outside but if she has an accident I put her outside clean up then let her back inside . She never gets told off for accidents . I do the reward good behaviour and ignore the bad :) we have not had an accident for days now bless her and if she does its because I have been doing the dishes or cooking tea and missed her signs that she needed to go .. Her accidents are always by the door as well so I know that she understands :thumbup:

10. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

we've got a 9 year old retriever and 5 month old cockapoo. Even the pup now can last until about half seven in the morning, he gets let out with the older dog and they do their business then they come back in for a lie in. We've never had a problem with the pup not holding it all night.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice