UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Cant find the original post from a week back when I asked for advice on how to stop my Barnaby ripping the carpet up when the door was shut, a few people recommended double sided tape! What a brilliant idea, ive put it down and he has stopped completely!! success he hates it wont even stand on it so thanks v v much!

While im on just wondering if he is a typical maine coon temperament wise, he is so funny not like any cat ive h ad before.

He is incredibly loving and likes being thrown over my shoulder where he ll stay while im walking about!
He wrestles very roughly with my lovely big dog but never puts his claws out!

I know in the books it says maine coons love water but Barnaby takes it to the extreme, he can open the bathroom door by sticking his huge paw under and jamming it till it opens then comes in and sits by my feet while i have a shower!! He gets soaked through but doesnt bother!! its so weird then he likes being towelled dried! lol

He also has a real thing for the tv, if anything comes on that attracts him he leaps at the screen pawing it and making weird noises

He s also hilarious if anyone comes to the house he immediately ggets on the back of the sofa and starts whacking their head! bit embarrassing last week when a chap from work came round to help fix something n i could see he was rather frightened!haha

Im so glad i chose a maine coon, he s grown lots and is now 5 and a half months i think, he weighs 12 pounds and is pretty heavy and solid.
I havent yet had him neutered but will have to shortly, what age is preferable ?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
He sounds a right character! :thumbup: My black cat used to sit around my shoulders too...until one day he fell bum-first into my cereal bowl. I stopped him climbing up there after that (he used to bite my hair while he was up there too :rolleyes:).

I think I got mine neutered at around 6 months old, I can't really remember, but I also think it has something to do with the cat's weight.

By the way:

He s also hilarious if anyone comes to the house he immediately ggets on the back of the sofa and starts whacking their head!
That is hilarious!!! :lol::lol:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol I know, think it would make it onto youve been framed if i could get him doing it on video.
He sits up on his hind legs and whacks with both paws!! how cheeky, funny as when I went to see him at 6 wks he did the same to me and the breeder was laughing and saying how rude he was

its obviously his thing! Its also a good way to get rid of visitors who overstay their welcome lol

·
Registered
15,744 Posts
He sounds like he has a delightful personality. Please try not to think of his behavior as "naughty" or anything negative, he is just being his own self. Some undesirable behaviors may be able to be gently trained away without stifling his innate sense of fun and adventure.

You can get him neutered at any time, I wouldn't wait much longer, though Maine Coons do mature later, no point in waiting around for the hormones to show up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks lorilu, he is a lovely boy.

Re the neutering, I always thought if you had them neutered too early it could stump their growth and their characteristics??

Would you say 6 mnths is about right then?

How much does it cost these days to have a male neutered?

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Wait until 9 months if you can unless you're really paranoid about spraying. Costs me £20 to have a male neutered but think going rate is nearer to £40.

Sounds like a typical Maine Coon. :D Glad you're enjoying his company.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
:D Sounds like he's a normal MC :lol: Louie has'nt started loungeing around necks yet we'l enjoy that while it lasts our old one used to do it all the time & it can get a bit errrrrrrrrrrrr hard trying to cook etc with ?????kg round your shoulders :lol:

Our vet wont do Louie untill he is atleast 9 months old although there is no scientific evedence aparently to support the neutering age of MC we are going to wait as long as poss to be on the safe side we already have a cat who forms crystals/stones & he was neuterd at a young age :rolleyes:

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Thats really interesting, didnt realise there were other implications to speying too early, I know most vets are eager to castrate from day 1 now in both dogs and cats!

few pics of the rascal!
He looks fantastic :D

There's no proof mind its just what our vet beleves I do know that dallys should'nt have the snip until they are 15 months old because of possible urinary problems & with them all being possible stone formers anyway :rolleyes: not worth the risk. Probably just a conincieance with Scutter he is a moggy but not prepared to take the risk with Louie & have another expensive problem :( unless of course he gets to big for his boots so to speak :D

·
Registered
15,744 Posts
Thats really interesting, didnt realise there were other implications to speying too early, I know most vets are eager to castrate from day 1 now in both dogs and cats!

few pics of the rascal!
Oooh, he's a Red Boy! My favorite!

Stones and crystals and other urinary tract problems are brought on by genetics or diet.

Early neutering in cats does not stunt growth or inhibit normal development (except for spraying and other territorial/sexual behaviors of course).

If you want to wait the longest possible time, you can go by when his urine starts to stink, the tom cat pee smell is unmistakable.

But please do not let him out (if you ever plan to, hope you don't) until he has been fixed, to avoid him possibly impregnating a female, or fighting with other males which can result in injury or deadly diseases, OR risk him disappearing altogether as he goes following the scent of a heat female and loses his way. All likely occurrences for an intact male let out.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I cant remeber Moe our old maine coon ever liking water. I do remeber that if we accidently left a cupboard door open half way he would stalk towards it and if so much darned to shut he fly outta the room.

He did like to lie across things, I remeber waking up once to see orange and white hair in my face one morning. He was lied across my bed.

Moe wieghed 25pounds and was huge. Also had quite big teeth.

Maine coons are great cats.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.