Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Naughty bunny!?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by TJB00, Mar 9, 2020.

1. TJB00

TJB00 PetForums Newbie

Hi all. I’ve not had my bunny long, about a week.
    This isn’t my first rabbit, I’ve had three before.
    When I first brought dusty home he seemed very tame and sweet, gentle. He’s definitely come out of his shell in the last week! He is a messy bugger
    He has around 9 toys in his large enclosure... paper, cardboard, wikka balls, hay, hideaways. Literally everything you think of it’s in his enclosure. He has a habit of angrily throwing his food bowl upside down. Is quite heavy, ceramic I think but he’s so strong he still manages to throw it down his ramp and his food spills everywhere. He grunts whilst tipping it over too. Bad for my ocd but is there anyway to stop it? I’ve read it’s because they’re bored but he literally has every single toy possible lol. He is one year old and is not neutered. I just want some tips as I’m already struggling a little.

2. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

Do you have lots of interaction and quality time with him? I would assume that neutering at a year old will not have much effect, as testosterone has already done its work, and his personality is established. My chinchillas upturn their food bowls on a near daily basis and fling their toys around their cages. It's just part of being a rabbit or chinchilla.

3. TJB00

TJB00 PetForums Newbie

I only got him last Wednesday from a cruel environment. I have tried spending a lot of time with him but I’m not always constantly around. He is in my outbuilding.
    I was planning to get him neutered but you say you think it wouldn’t make much difference now that he’s turned over 1? I may reconsider now. I would hate to pay to have him fixed if it didn’t help at all.

4. Corneal

Corneal Shelly

Try a ball drop toy. The kind where you fill a ball with treats and as they roll it around the treats fall out

TJB00 likes this.
  5. Merixie

Merixie PetForums Member

Neutering is good if he lives alone not indoors free roaming. Then a friend would be good for him, he can feel restless.

He can also be controlled by hormones and he’s. Neutering will often calmed down a buck that are controlled by hormones. For example guarding territory, trying to mate with things, trouble with litter training, keeping an eye on you and so on. Neutering will only change the behavior that are caused by hormones and not their personality.

Myself own 3 bunnies, one of them never plays with toys. But he live with the family and binkys everyday to play around. If he’s alone he will just eat and sit in a corner. Not at all interact with toys or play around. So they need a lot of attention and quality time if they live alone.

You can buy a bowl that are attached to the hutch, your bunny won’t be able to tip it.

6. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums VIP

With the bowl, ditch it. Don't use one. Scatter feed veggies and for pellets use a cat treat ball they have to roll around to get the treats out. Way more fun!

With the toys, have three max in the run at any one time and change the toys twice a day at least so there's always something "new" to do. The more destructive buns tend to be the most intelligent ones. I've been teaching mine tricks, they've mastered "spin" for pellets so well they will stare at me and slightly aggressively spin on the spot and demand snacks now, oops haha!

Smolmaus likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice