Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Natures menu

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by ShelybellyandTeamC, Jan 9, 2012.

1. ShelybellyandTeamC

ShelybellyandTeamC Bad Joke Generator

Hi guys sorry for the 2nd post in less then an hour!

just wondering if anyone had any experience with natures menu cat food (wet)
    like i said in my previous post I'm trying to find a good quality cat food for my Sheldon
    Any recommendations would be extremely helpful!
    Thanks

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Yep, this is a good one. It's quite a moist pate consistency, my cats loved it though it did tend to make their poos rather smelly (but no worse than Whiskas smell). I would chose something else to go with it so they don't get reliant on one brand.

And what she said down there VVVVVVVV - she's better than what I is.

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

NM is a complete wet food that is a pate style. Does your cat eat pate-type foods? If yes, then there are plenty of (better) brands to be had that are available online. NM is quite convenient because you can just pick it up in some shops but it is expensive for what it is.

Also, my advice (in addition to my advice on your other thread) would be not to put all of your eggs in one wet food basket, so to speak. Choose three or four brands of equal quality and rotate them. Not only prevents food boredom but also makes sure that all nutrient bases are covered and that you aren't scrambling around like a mad woman if they stop doing the food you have solely fed for the past year or have tinkered with the recipe so that your cat doesn't eat it any more. :)

4. ShelybellyandTeamC

Hes had pate style foods before however he has been on a all dry diet for a long time due to the fact I believed this was what was best for him and the fact he was on a diet from the vets due to being overweight however since joining this forum I have learned better and have been adding a little whiskas into his diet just to get him used to having wet food again however I know whiskas isnt the best food I just knew that he liked it from being a kitten.

I would like to try a few different wet foods to introduce him to I was just trying to find one to get me started on the right track to help me find the right thing to look for when I'm searching for new foods he isn't a fussy eater so I'm not too worried about him not liking anything (he has been know to eat anything and everything hence the diet lol )

I think once what I have has run out I'm going to try Natures menu to get us started on the right track and then see where that leads purely because my local petsathome sells it individually so I can try him on it without committing to a bulk order and then see where we end up thanks so much for all your help im hoping we are now on the right track to getting my shelpots a healthy diet :)

Thanks again

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

What a load of tosh darling; we are as good as each other! :arf:

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hey, that is great to hear! Well done on taking the leap back to wet food.

Is he now eating just the Whiskas wet? I think that would be my preferred strategy to get my get unhooked from kibble. Once he is on an all wet diet then I would see whether he is ok with different textures - particularly pate ones as all of the good quality foods are pate ones. If he is dragging his paws a little I would perhaps start mashing up his Whiskas food to get him used to the texture.

Try the NM but delivery from zooplus is free over £19, which would also give you a nice selection of foods to try.

7. ShelybellyandTeamC

No its still mixed with his dry from the vets partly because i still have some left and don't want to waste it and partly because i do still want to keep a small amount of dry food in his diet due to the fact he has server dental problems (i know there isnt much proof that dry food helps cos cats tend to swollow there food whole he does chew quiet a bit and dry had done wonders building the strength of his teeth up.)
    And thanks for the heads up :)

8. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Neither of mine will eat this one either, there was a time when I could get my boy to take it mixed into a soup with water, as he has cystitis but he hasn't touched it since the recipe was changed a while ago.

I tried all the ones that I could find in the shops, then I found this site, and the lists of foods written by Hobbs, so started working through the ones on Zooplus.

Having tried lots of them I have had limited success, mixing them in gradually with their normal food, my girl has tried some of them briefly, then gets sick and throws them up or has a tummy upset and won't touch them again.

My boy, being older and not so well, will try new food, including raw, but without fail will bring it back up the second time I give it to him.

Dry food, when they crunch it, shatters and can get stuck in between the teeth, not so good.

If I had a new start with either of mine I would feed a mix of raw and the better quality wet as advised by Hobbs on the wet food list.

My boy was on Whiskas when he was rescued, and having worked through almost everything in the last 6 years or so, is back on it because he likes the gravy and won't eat otherwise.

9. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

I am switching Jumpy over from Whiskas to Natures Menu, mixing some with his Whiskas and he seems to love it! Poos are smelling better already! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice