Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Nature's menu block

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by LMc, Jun 29, 2020.

1. LMc

LMc PetForums Newbie

Morning all, question about nature's menu food blocks for my now 6 month old bichon frise Maisie :)

Maisies been eating nature's menu for a while alongside her kibble. We've chopped and change a bit for kibble starting with Millie's wolfheart and moving to pooch and mutt superfood which she's been on for the past almost two months. She does also get royal canin when we drop her off at our grans due to work commitments as that's what their two bichons eat, for some reason she eats this kibble there, but doesn't touch it if we had to feed her it at home.

This has brought me to consider just giving her the raw food as it's annoying having to bin a meal two times a day. I looked around at natural instinct but unfortunately we don't have a big freezer and the closest stockist is 30 miles away. So was just going to stick with NM but the online calculator they have says Maisie should be eating 16 /20 blocks a day. Were not sure her weight but she's fairly small and can easily feel her ribs so we've guessed around 3-4kg. Anyway, 16/20 blocks would be roughly 240/300g a day. Working from the raw feeding guidelines of 3% of expected adult weight (online says average of 5kg for female bichon) the amount should be 150g. Tried working out calories for her size instead but obviously very difficult if we don't know her actual weight, estimates put it at 270-360kcal though which would be 200-300g roughly.
    Dont know which we should be following so any help in portioning nature's menu would be appreciated!

Thanks!

2. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

I feed raw but I calculate the amount needed by feeding a % of puppy's weight,for a 6 month old puppy I would be feeding 7% of her weight .I just calculated that a 6 month old pup weighing 3.5 kg should be fed around 245g a day:)

3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Why not get her actual weight? Do you have bathroom scales? Weigh yourself, then weigh yourself holding her. A quick subtraction will give her her weight.
    And do you mean 16-20 nuggets of the type of NM that comes in cubes - many in a packet - or the 400g slabs (that can't be right, even my dogs would explode)?

4. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

It does seem like a huge amount when feeding a puppy raw Ronnie is now 12.6 kg and 13 weels old he has around a kilo of food split into 3 meals and is always looking for more:)

5. LMc

LMc PetForums Newbie

The nature valley blocks I'm meaning, they weigh about 15g a piece.
    We have a set, unfortunately they aren't the most accurate as you can use them 10 times and get 10 different readings a few kilos apart, ready for the bin! Going to take her to pets at home as apparently they can weigh dogs for you.
    I think the alternative is for us just to feed raw, mixing chicken wings, beef mince and some carrot. I'll go get her weighed and go from there.

6. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

I bought a digital scale from the Range to weigh myself and our pup it is spot on as last week I weighed him on Thursday he went to the vets later on that day for flea treatment and he weighed exactly the same:)
    If you are just starting to feed raw I would buy the premade blocks where you know the ratios needed for a healthy diet is done for you:)

7. Labradoodledoo

Labradoodledoo PetForums Junior

I’ve just started to feed my almost 6 month old puppy raw but so confused with it all and she seems soooooo hungry although she is loving her food!
    Have you any advice @niamh123? I would really love to be able to chat to you about it.

8. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

How many meals a day are you feeding her and what amount of food per day at 6 months she needs 6-8% of her body weight so she needs to be weighed regularly :)
    My Curly Coated retriever puppy is 13 weeks old and has around a kilo of food per day and is still looking for more I give him a recreational bone and this keeps him happy:)
    Your puppy has Labrador genes and Labs can be quite greedy where food is concerned:)

9. Labradoodledoo

Labradoodledoo PetForums Junior

She is just under 10kilos and I have been giving her 550grams so looks like not enough. She loves it but it is gone in seconds and this morning crying after it’s gone. She wasn’t like this on dry food.
    Do you add vegetables to your dogs food? Conflicting advice on that? At what point is she not classed as a puppy and so I should reduce her food? And if I wanted to to do DIY raw and not use the minces how on earth do you know if you have given enough, too much and the right things??? So many questions and so many different answers! I’ve read the raw food sticky but doesn’t seem to answer my particular questions.

10. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

8% of 10kg is 800g of food per day so you have been underfeeding her,I would also get her a slow feeder bowl (there are large ones on sale in Aldi for £4.99) I also keep my pups on 3 meals per day until around 8 months old:)
    As a guide at 4-6months of age you should feed 8-6% of body weight,6-8 months of age 6-4% of body weight and 8-15 months 4-2 % of body weight so you will need to weigh her regularly to make sure she is having the correct amount of food also go by her body condition if she looks thin add a little extra food and vice versa:)
    My pup also loves a raw egg twice a week including the shell I feed this as an extra meal I feed fruit and vegetables but not with their food ,I use raw carrot,swede,broccoli and banana and blueberries as training treats:)

wee man likes this.
  11. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Can I suggest that if you are interested in raw feeding you go on FB and join BARF UK as they have loads of guidance on feeding amounts, how to do it and suppliers. Both mine are raw fed but have completely different needs despite being the same breed

Labradoodledoo likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice