Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Natures Menu - advice please

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Scarlett20, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Scarlett20

Scarlett20 PetForums Senior

There have been a few posts recently about NM - about it being on a special low price at P@H at the moment and also about new packaging and new recipe boxes slowly appearing in P@H.

So, yesterday I went to P@H. I did not see any new style packaging or new recipe NM boxes - perhaps this was due to P@H wanting to first of all get rid of all their current stock before introducing the new stuff. Perhaps some branches of P@H just put everything on the shelf when it comes in, whereas others wait until old stocks have been sold - don't know?

What they did have though was on a special price. Some of the boxes were in bad condition and there wasn't lots to choose from either.

What do you think is best to do. Is it best to stock up on the existing NM which is at a special price or is it best to just to buy what you need, so that when the new stuff gets on the shelves, you are ready to replensih your stocks with this.

There is always the risk that your cat might not be as keen on the new stuff and then you would wish that you had bought more of the 'old' NM.

What would you do?

2. kathyj

kathyj PetForums Member

I buy the Beef and Chicken NM (red pack), but haven't heard about new menus or packaging. But I bought in bulk by mail order from P@H the other week - 6 boxes (max I could buy).. What I have noticed is that in some packets the meat is light than in others, and the cats seem to notice the difference and it takes them a bit of encouragement to eat, but they do eventually. It is so annoying when they chance something in a particular flavour, because the cats really notice it.

The beef and chicken is the only wet food one of my cats will eat. Previously she would only eat Felix pate tray (foils), and those were discontinued and it has been months and months until suddenly she decided she liked the NM beef and chicken - I just happened to have bought it for our new cat, so she obviously liked the smell of it and decided to try it and hasn't looked back since. I don't want to have to go through the same again if they change the ingredients.

3. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

As far as I'm aware the new recipe has been in the old packaging for months now anyway, they've only just got around to the package change. If you visit their website and check their faqs about them using 'various sugars' you should find that info there.

4. Scarlett20

:confused:

I think I am understanding what it is about now ( I could be wrong though ) :confused:

You are absolutely right Dante when you say that the new recipe has been in the old packaging for months. I have been giving my 2 kittens the pink kitten pouches and, for months, it has said 'new recipe' on the box.

Someone did post that they had seen some new NM in silver packaging appearing on the shelves

What about yourself, did you get stocked up on NM? Do your cats like all the NM flavours or just certain ones?

5. Scarlett20

It's alright, it is only the packaging which is going to change. I went on the NM website and it says ' New packaging coming early 2012 '

6. ShelybellyandTeamC

ShelybellyandTeamC Bad Joke Generator

hey were do you order your boxes of single flavors of NM as my boy hates the fish flavor he will eat it but it takes a lot of encouragement and I would prefer just to buy the packets of single flavors and introduce a dif food to replace the fish one thanks :)

7. ellsbells0123

ellsbells0123 PetForums VIP

8. ShelybellyandTeamC

ShelybellyandTeamC Bad Joke Generator

9. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

Well I've just got back from my local P@H and I was told that they have discontinued the 48 pouch multipack :(

The kitten boxes were reduced to clear, but the normal boxes were not.

Definitely seems like they're just doing it to get rid of the old stock - whether or not they're going to make a multipack out of the new stock remains to be seen.

10. kathyj

kathyj PetForums Member

Sometimes I just buy the boxes from a couple of locat petstores, or just recently, I ordered online from Pet Planet.

11. Golgotha_tramp

Golgotha_tramp PetForums Senior

our multipack (picked up 2 weeks ago) is in the new silver packages but Mitzi is really not happy with it. She eats about half a pack now (where as she could easily polish off two pouches).

With all the "off" packs cropping up and the new recipe I am using it as a back up only (although I just bought Smila and then saw the recipe is changed on that too :mad2:)

Do these people not understand our pampered Puss' are too smart for recipe changes - let's hope the Smila goes down ok.

12. Scarlett20

Was that from P@H?

Does the food look or smell any different from before?

13. kathyj

kathyj PetForums Member

My cat had been fine eating the Beef and chicken for some time now, but then a couple of weeks ago, I bought new boxes in preparation for her finishing the current box. When I fed her from the new boxes, she totally refused the food, day after day.

I emailed Natures menu and I have been told that in the newer boxes, they have reduced the amount of sugar. Basically anything with a Best Before date of March 2013 is the old recipe. I am not happy, as my chances of stocking up on old recipes are not that great, which means I am again faced with not being able to feed wet food to her. Luckily she is still ok to eat james welbeloved Duck and Rice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice