Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Nature Diet feeders: is the chicken version supposed to smell this bad?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Felix, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Felix

Felix PetForums Member

I've just done a big order from Berriewood and bought a box of chicken flavour ND for the first time. She's usually on Lamb or Turkey and Rabbit (even loves the fish, but it's too smelly!)

Saying that, the fish is smelly but in a normal fish-y way.

The chicken, however, really offends me. It's got a really chemically sourness to it.. :/

It's still within it's sell by date (about a year), but Olivia doesn't even like it and hasn't touched it this morning when i tried to feed it to her.

Have I got a dodgy box?

It really doesn't smell natural.

2. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

I think they all smell a little funny anyway lol

3. Liteskye

Liteskye PetForums Member

Have you ever thought of going to Landywoods (find them on internet) for their food. The list is endless with the frozen food, and they really gear for anyone wishing to feed their dogs on the RAW/BATH diet.

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Do the packets look bloated at all?

They shouldnt smell funny, i actually find the chicken one the least smelly of all.

It could be that they havent been sealed properly and have spoiled. Ive had this happen before.

5. Aly12

Aly12 PetForums Member

I haven't noticed any funny smell from the chicken natures diet. If you are unsure of it I would phone them and let them know. They will probably tell you to return it to them. Why not buy a single packet from Pets at Home and see if that has the same smell.

6. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Sounds like you have a dodgy pack there, ND chicken shouldnt smell badly and I actually think it smells ok for a dog food. :D

7. trabonita

trabonita PetForums Member

I've not noticed the chicken one smell any worse than other flavours. Does anyone else have problems opening the packaging? everytime i've ordered in bulk I receive dodgy packets that need to be cut open rather than just peeling back? really irritating!!!

8. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

i found the chicken the less smelly one, its smell pretty ok to be honest. I'd give them a ring if i was you

we have the smelly fish one it stinks!!! i didnt realise it would smeel quite so hard lol

9. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

I also found that the chicken to be less smelly and the worse is the fish eww LOL..
    When we popped into p@h to get some yesterday the chicken had been taken off the shelf for the time being but they didnt say why..or how long for...so we couldnt get any.

I also agree that landywoods is excellent we get all our raw from there monthly...But we need extra ND for the new boy..Hence we popped in to get some ND yesterday!

10. Liteskye

Liteskye PetForums Member

Landy delivers every two weeks now, which is a blessing for the way my lot put away food :D

11. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Yes they do to some area's...its a shame they only deliver every month to our area..Trying to find freezer space for it all is a night mare..A whole months worth of food we have to squeeze it in lmfao

12. Felix

Felix PetForums Member

Well, I've just opened a second packet and.. still the same, truly vile and horrendous smell. I can deal with "smelly" pet foods - we have cats and a dog, I don't expect gourmet whiffs.

But this stuff is really, really bad. It hits you in the back of the throat when you sniff it. A really "off" smell.

I'm going to call Berriewood on Monday and see what they say. The packaging didn't seem to have anything wrong with it. No tears etc.

I've bought ND before and opened it to find it was moulding inside. In fact, the first EVER packed I opened was like that. I wasn't sure if it was even mould, or just how it was supposed to look like! But I opened another and it certainly didn't look like that!

13. Felix

Felix PetForums Member

I can count on one hand the amount of times the "Peel Here" has actually worked. It just doesn't peel! And if it does, sometimes it peels the picture off but there is still a second layer to the plastic there.

So I've given up trying really. I generally just run a sharp knife along the edges :)

14. madmare

madmare PetForums Newbie

Hi I am new here but would like to say that I have found the chicken one is now smelling disgusting and it never has before.
    I am going to ring them Monday as this is the only food my dog can tolerate, so i can't feed him anything else.
    I wonder if its got anything to do with a processing fault in the heat of this summer.
    I have also had some problems with the lamb variety as well that i give my other dog.

15. I'm using the chicken at the moment, its the least smelly of the lot - it sounds like they have a dodgy batch to me (i'm sure ive read about it happening before - so it wont be the first time).

16. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I've not tried my two with the chicken but my god the fish one stinks :laugh:

17. Felix

Felix PetForums Member

Ha, yeah the fish one does stink. But I got used to it quick enough and don't mind it so much now.

I couldn't tolerate the chicken and when I opened the second packet to find the same smell, I just threw it all away. I've got a whole box of this stuff.. calling Berriewood tomorrow, hopefully they sort me out. Another box of Lamb would do me fine.

I'll probably pick up a single packet of the chicken from the pet shop the next time I'm in, just out of curiosity.

18. madmare

madmare PetForums Newbie

Perhaps all of that have had or are having problems should phone Naturediet themselves. After all how can they rectify a problem if nobody tells them there is one.

19. madmare

madmare PetForums Newbie

I have just phoned Nature Diet and they were extremely concerned and are going to be checking the batch numbers they hold made at the same time. They said nobody else has rung them and they wish they would if they have a problem as they cannot find out what went wrong if people don't let them know these things.
    They are delivering me 20 packs of thier food tomorrow to compensate me and for taking the time to ring them and let them know.
    Please if you have had a problem with the chicken or any other smelling lately give them a ring on 01362822320 and let them know.

20. Colsy

Colsy Banned

Nature's Diet we have had a few problems with them of late.
    Lots of packets blown.
    So we rang them up and they replaced them no problems.
    We buy the sensitive packets but the smell from them ,has not been nice the packets are not damaged.
    So we now have bought a small firidge in the garage for them seems a bit better,but i am sure i can still smell them in there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice