Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

natural instinct venison order.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by we love bsh's, Oct 30, 2012.

1. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

Has anyone else had any problems with the new batch of venison?

I ordered 10 lots of venison the other week and when i opened it the texture is different its like wet clay,very sticky and pale pink colour.

None of these 12 will touch it as where before they would wolf it down.

There doesnt seem to be no blood in it before there was.

Well i thought i would call NI's up to ask them,i didnt expect them to be all that bothered as people on here in the past have had no luck when they have had problems with them...well they offered me a full refund or to replace the order with a different flavour so fair play to them for that:thumbup:

My replacment tubs will be here tomorrow.:thumbup1:

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Yes, mine are the same - very sticky and lacking in moisture. Sometimes they eat it sometimes they don't, but if they do they really have to chow down on it.

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I do wonder why their batches are so very variable.

4. we love bsh's

Well my lot will not eat it ...unless i put it into mixing bowl add water and tinned cat food and mash it up with potato masher,they just will not eat it plain not even the kitten and hes not fussy.

They said im the only person to complain :confused:

I also noticed more larger bits of ground up bone in them maybe they are adding more bone to it than b4 although they said thats not the case and they said they have just done a massive new batch of it so i hope for them its not the same.

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I only recently tried my lot on some of their rabbit minces and that was a total disaster; personally, I wouldn't have eaten it myself. But having had a chance to look at their packaging, the new flavours don't appear to either mention taurine or have it listed as part of their nutritional composition bit. Do you guys know more?

6. Nicki85

Nicki85 PetForums VIP

Mine have just had venison and I thought similar. It was too much work for Snow and she gave up. However, Cas, being the greedy pig he is ate it all.

I'm going into the shop today so will mention it... they also didn't like the wild game bird flavour. They were OK with rabbit.

Do you want me to ask if they all contain taurine while i'm in there?

7. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

If you are going to their factory outlet shop anyhow then yes, if you remember then please ask. The food will contain taurine but the query is how much (did they do an analysis like they did for the very first cat mince they brought out)? And I guess the follow-on questions from that would be? If they did test it, what is the level of taurine and do they need to add more? And if they did test it, why don't they put the info on the packaging like they do with some other stuff (unless it is on there but I didn't see it). If they didn't test it, why not?

Thank you!!

8. we love bsh's

I guess with out customer feedback they wont know they need to change something about it,its just too dry and sticky,you can add your own water but it just seems slimey then and tasteless (not that iv tasted it) :D.

I liked the previous batch better it was like a mince texture and when defrosted there was enough blood in there something is different for sure.

9. Nicki85

Nicki85 PetForums VIP

right, I visited the shop on my way home from work our conversation went something like this...

Do all your cat minces contain taurine?
    Yes
    Do they all contain the same levels of taurine? Have you done analyses on the taurine levels?
    Yes, they all contain different amounts as it is a naturally occurring substance.
    Do you add any extra taurine?
    No, it is naturally occurring.
    Do you have the quantities to hand of the amount of taurine in each type of mince?
    Yes....
    Chicken and beef is 450mg per kilo
    can you email for the rest as it is upstairs and in a pile of stuff ;-)

So... I'm no expert but bit confused- is that enough taurine? I'll email them and ask for the rest of the quantities... I thought you had to add extra? Or maybe they compensate by adding more heart?

And lastly, I had no defrosted mince for the kittens so gave them some of Rusty's (dog) DAF mince which was chicken and tripe. Guess what, they loved it... wolfed it down and then asked for more! Strange kitty kats. The texture I think is alot easier for them as it is not so coarsely minced. there were some big bits of bone in there as well. And it stank stank stank. But they loved it...

hobbs2004 likes this.
  10. we love bsh's

Interesting... thanx for asking.

11. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Thanks for asking! Really appreciated - will rep you once I have typed out this response.

Well, they are perfectly right; meat contains taurine but the question is how much. Once you know this you can either make a judgement call and say "no, that is enough" or you can add some more. But the key really is knowing how much is in it to start off with (or rather, after processing).

The original cat mince - the chicken and beef - has a really good taurine content but I imagine that is because nearly 50% of their meat content consists of beef heart. So, not really much of a surprise.

What is perhaps curious is that if they did an analysis of taurine for each of the flavours (which their response suggests) is why they don't include that on their labels, considering that they include things like ca and p.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice