UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
For me it works out at about the same as feeding a premium dry such as fish4dogs :)
For a small dog it's more viable.

But I don't like pre made raw for a start, and i sure couldn't afford to feed the boys f4d, 'whole raw' costs me pennies a day to feed, i just couldn't afford it with pre made or high quality kibble

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
For a small dog it's more viable.

But I don't like pre made raw for a start, and i sure couldn't afford to feed the boys f4d, 'whole raw' costs me pennies a day to feed, i just couldn't afford it with pre made or high quality kibble
I wouldn't feed pre made raw even if I could afford it ;)

Just my personal opinion but it seems a bit pointless (and a bit lazy :eek:)... if you want to feed raw then feed 'proper' raw.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I wouldn't feed pre made raw even if I could afford it ;)

Just my personal opinion but it seems a bit pointless (and a bit lazy :eek:)... if you want to feed raw then feed 'proper' raw.
Yeah, I was just wondering because the family are moaning proper raw is disgusting :rolleyes:

Don`t think I can do raw anyway now premade or otherwise cos my parents have just got rid of the spare freezer and we have no storage :(
On the search for some good completes

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I discovered this in a pet shop a few weeks ago, and have been feeding it, I and the dogs love it! I hadn't noticed a huge increase infood bills, but I get a discount at the pet shop because of all the clients I send their way.

So handy having it in tubs!

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have no long been feeding this to Cleo who at the moment can only have chicken and fish - she is having the working dog chicken from Natural Instinct most days and fish Naturediet wet a couple of days. We are now buying from our local training school as we are loosing our big freezer we only have space for 4-5 tubs in ours to leave us room. They are £2.55 each or £1.79 if you order 80+ (wish I knew someone local to chip in for a few!) it's a good food for Cleo and suits her well. Molly is on Arden Grange as we get discount for being a working dog (15 kg at around £32) however, we are looking to change her onto Millie's Wolfheart and replacing Cleos fish meals with Millie's salmon dry as its a good food being grain/cereal free with salmon as their only protein source (not like other companies using plant protein) and has veg, fruit and herbs in :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
My reasons for looking at it are

1) I am not a canine nutritionist and don't have an in depth knowledge of the subject so i don't feel comfortable 'making it up as I go along' I know there are websites etc with advice but there are differing views on all of it - whether to feed veg, how much tripe to feed, how often to give eggs, whether to give egg shells etc (and I'm a real worrier so I would be constanly worrying that I'm not doing it right!)

2) I tried raw before and my bitch would not touch any offal/hearts/turkey necks etc and didn't eat any bones, just guarded them and wouldn't let my other dogs in the garden!

3) I have a phobia of sick, so for me to handle and prepare raw meat on a daily basis (which in my head would pose a risk to me or my family of food poisoning) would turn me into a nervous wreck! :eek:

So for me, a pre prepared 'meal' that has been devised specifically for dogs seemed the obvious option if I wanted to pursue the raw diet.

·
Registered
8,415 Posts

1) I am not a canine nutritionist and don't have an in depth knowledge of the subject so i don't feel comfortable 'making it up as I go along' I know there are websites etc with advice but there are differing views on all of it - whether to feed veg, how much tripe to feed, how often to give eggs, whether to give egg shells etc (and I'm a real worrier so I would be constanly worrying that I'm not doing it right!)

2) I tried raw before and my bitch would not touch any offal/hearts/turkey necks etc and didn't eat any bones, just guarded them and wouldn't let my other dogs in the garden!

3) I have a phobia of sick, so for me to handle and prepare raw meat on a daily basis (which in my head would pose a risk to me or my family of food poisoning) would turn me into a nervous wreck! :eek:

So for me, a pre prepared 'meal' that has been devised specifically for dogs seemed the obvious option if I wanted to pursue the raw diet.
It's not about making it up as you go along, there is a tried and tested 'diet' the 80:10:10 ratio isn't just a wim, you research massively before doing any home made diet raw or cooked. People massively over think a raw diet and constantly worry if they are getting it right.

Alot of people 'try' it say the dog won't eat x,y,z and give up. Not alot of people give it enough time and are too easy on there dogs.

I won't go on my little rant, but i never understand the whole 'raw food will make people sick' has noone ever cleaned up after cooking food for the peeps of the family? If my stomach can handle raw meat on a daily basis, then is there really much need to overly worry about people who are not going to come in contact with it at all? Just basic hygiene and your fine.

I still don't like pre made raw personally, and you get no dental benefits from feeding it which is one of the biggest benefits.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts

It's not about making it up as you go along, there is a tried and tested 'diet' the 80:10:10 ratio isn't just a wim, you research massively before doing any home made diet raw or cooked. People massively over think a raw diet and constantly worry if they are getting it right.

Alot of people 'try' it say the dog won't eat x,y,z and give up. Not alot of people give it enough time and are too easy on there dogs.

I won't go on my little rant, but i never understand the whole 'raw food will make people sick' has noone ever cleaned up after cooking food for the peeps of the family? If my stomach can handle raw meat on a daily basis, then is there really much need to overly worry about people who are not going to come in contact with it at all? Just basic hygiene and your fine.

I still don't like pre made raw personally, and you get no dental benefits from feeding it which is one of the biggest benefits.
As Pogo said, there is a definite method to it, you don't need to worry about making it up as you go along, honestly. There is a LOT of information out there, possibly too much... it's hard to know what to listen to and what not to.

I'm the world's biggest worrier ;) (I have the medication to prove it lol) so I just research everything until I am satisfied I know everything there is to know. Then I can tackle anything new with the knowledge that I'm as clued up as I can be :D

I agree with Pogo too about how people give up too easily on raw sometimes and it's such a shame. A bit of tough love is often all that's needed with most dogs. I don't think any dog would starve itself, they'll all eat when hungry eventually.

I too have never really understood the hygene argument as a reason to not feed raw. Surely everyone (bar vegeterians of course) at some point handles / prepares raw meat for themselves and their families. Follow the same rules you would doing that; ie. cleaning work-surfaces and your own hands afterwards and all will be fine. You don't actually need to handle raw meat every day anyway. I bag Alfie's meat in meal sized portions once every couple of months when I stock up so it's only a matter of cutting the bag, tipping the contents into a bowl and away you go, no touching involved ;)

Hope you don't see this post as 'having a go' at you... just wanted to show you how easy feeding regular raw can be if you wanted to :)

·
Registered
655 Posts

:lol: Bless!

·
Registered
195 Posts
possibly too much... it's hard to know what to listen to and what not to.

I agree with Pogo too about how people give up too easily on raw sometimes and it's such a shame. A bit of tough love is often all that's needed with most dogs. I don't think any dog would starve itself, they'll all eat when hungry eventually.

I too have never really understood the hygene argument as a reason to not feed raw. Surely everyone (bar vegeterians of course) at some point handles / prepares raw meat for themselves and their families. Follow the same rules you would doing that; ie. cleaning work-surfaces and your own hands afterwards and all will be fine. You don't actually need to handle raw meat every day anyway. I bag Alfie's meat in meal sized portions once every couple of months when I stock up so it's only a matter of cutting the bag, tipping the contents into a bowl and away you go, no touching involved ;)

Hope you don't see this post as 'having a go' at you... just wanted to show you how easy feeding regular raw can be if you wanted to :)
Not at all, its good to get peoples' opinions, thats what forums are for!

Thats the problem I think, too many people/groups with too many differing opinions on whats best

I wasn't worried about her starving, I'm definitely of the thought that if they're hungry they'll eat, but she just messed about with it moving it from one place to another and guarding it from the boys wherever she went. The final straw was when I went out in the garden and heard a 'humming' noise coming from the dogs' shed (they don't live outside I just have a shed with an opening so they've got a den out there) turned out the humming was hundreds of flies in there because she'd been secreting all sorts in there for days (this was in the summer), I'd assumed she was eating them but really she was just hiding them!!

If I wasn't completely paranoid/phobic about sick the hygiene thing wouldn't be an issue. Its not an OCD thing, its a recognised phobia, I've had hypnotherapy for it, I get cold sweats, palpitations etc when one of my kids even says they've got tummy ache!

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Ooh think I might have nightmares about the flies in the shed, reminds me of the gory EastEnders episode :eek:

Never tried natural instinct myself, a little too pricey for me but I have fed various brands of raw minces, though I wouldn't use them all the time, one of the reasons I like raw feeding is the dental hygiene aspect of it, plus I like to know exactly what's going in my dog's gob :rolleyes:

ETA. I know what y'all mean about overthinking, I was reading another forum about the nutritional content of various meats and the pros and cons of different brands of supplements and nearly turned my brain inside out. I don't think you can realistically provide a perfect diet 100% of the time IMHO.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Work right next to where they make this- staff and process are fab (they are more than happy to give factory tours if you like watching meat being processed...). Rusty has had it for the past 9 months or so, looks well on it, loves it, easy to feed :tongue_smilie:

I'm lazy, I don't have much time in the morning and it's chaos with the various animals to feed so it is easy for me. He also gets it stuffed in kongs for lunch sometimes. I also feed bigger chunks such as lamb heads, rack of ribs, oxtail, lamb neck... usually for a lunchtime meal when I have time to separate him from the others.

I feed for convenience, it's better than dry or "wet" food but just as easy to feed. It works for me :p;) :cool:

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Not at all, its good to get peoples' opinions, thats what forums are for!

Thats the problem I think, too many people/groups with too many differing opinions on whats best

I wasn't worried about her starving, I'm definitely of the thought that if they're hungry they'll eat, but she just messed about with it moving it from one place to another and guarding it from the boys wherever she went. The final straw was when I went out in the garden and heard a 'humming' noise coming from the dogs' shed (they don't live outside I just have a shed with an opening so they've got a den out there) turned out the humming was hundreds of flies in there because she'd been secreting all sorts in there for days (this was in the summer), I'd assumed she was eating them but really she was just hiding them!!

If I wasn't completely paranoid/phobic about sick the hygiene thing wouldn't be an issue. Its not an OCD thing, its a recognised phobia, I've had hypnotherapy for it, I get cold sweats, palpitations etc when one of my kids even says they've got tummy ache!
Oh my :eek: the flies thing would have seriously freaked me out too, how disgusting is that! :cryin:

I guess, when all's said and done, you have to do what's best for you and your dogs... whatever works for you :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.