Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Natural Instinct - Raw cat mince now available on their site

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by hobbs2004, Apr 7, 2011.

1. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hey guys, you probably got the email too but the cat mince that some peeps on here tested for NI is now available to buy from their site: Cat Food - Natural Instinct. They came down in price too :) but still only one flavour (chicken and beef)

2. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

I'd really like to buy some, Loki really liked it, but being 10 months old and weighing nearly 5kg he still hasn't quite grasped that he doesn't need to eat one whole pack a day!!

3. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

I was just coming to make a thread about this :p
    I am certainly going to be ordering some at that price, i worked out for roughly £12 i can feed my 2 boys for 2 weeks. Which i don't think is too bad really, I am going to rotate fortnightly between mince and grau/smilla/animonda carny :)
    Nellie unfortunately won't touch the raw but she eats mostly dry anyway much to my disgust :eek:
    They said their sending 8 free trays aswell which is very helpful isn't it! :D

4. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

Oh hang about, shipping kind of changes those prices :eek:

5. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

Ok so £26.00 for 3 1/2 weeks, still isn't too bad actually. ahh sorry i should have edited, it's before midday which is still morning which is too early for sums :p lol

6. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

What's the shipping costs?

7. thelioncub

thelioncub PetForums Senior

Cost of shipping:
    5-10 kilos =£6.00
    11-20 kilos =£8.00
    21-30 kilos =£10.00
    31-39 kilos = £12.00
    40 kilos plus FREE SHIPPING

8. kerfuffle

kerfuffle PetForums Senior

I thought the price of £1.70/400g is pretty good actually, it's equivalent to feeding high quality raw mince for the price of Whiskas pouches (non promo prices are around £4.50ish for 12x85g). The S&H prices is a bit of a turn off, but seeing it's frozen food, it does need to be couriered.

If the cat likes it that much though, I may stock up well and proper.

Consistency (based on the website photos) still look very mushy though, I was expecting perhaps they would make it slightly chunkier to encourage chewing and cleaning of teeth with the feedback received from the trial.

9. BSH

BSH PetForums Senior

I have received an email from them regarding this too. I was waiting patiently for this announcement :) My 3 loved the free samples NI sent for the trial. They are kindly sending us another free sample to try :D

I think the price is great. The ingredients list and nutritional analysis look good too. The consistency is more mushy than some would maybe like, but my cats ain't complaining. They do get some other raw bits to have a good knaw on, so it is no biggy.

Overall this looks perfect for my needs, so I am delighted to see it available now for purchase. I do hope their brave venture pays off for them, they seem to have done their homework.

I am not fussed about there being just one flavour tbh, and doubt the cats will be either.

10. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

That is actually a good price I think. Also they have put lids on the trays so it can be kept fresh in the fridge. I am sure they will do well.

11. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

Going on their feeding recommendations, that's a fantastic price and would cost exactly the same for 24 days worth of food as I currently pay for Bozita.. Shipping throws it out, but still not bad at all.

Therefore I'm sure I will be placing an order shortly!

12. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

do those feeding recs really work. If i feed mine dog mince as a treat they would eat at least 200g a day each easy plus other food.

13. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

My cats did seem much fuller on mince than they do with normal wet food, they probably had about 120g a day

14. peecee

peecee PetForums Senior

Feedong recomendations 3e a different for dogs especially ones larger than cats.

I agree the pricing is reasonable on this. I was offered 8 packs. I will take up the offer as my cat did seem to enjoy it.

15. BSH

BSH PetForums Senior

I found a pack (400 g) was enough to last 2 meals for my 3 cats, so that equates to 130 g a day per cat. Mine do eat a few dry Applaws biscuits in addition though.

Shipping does add to the cost but being able to feed a balanced raw diet with minimal fuss (I would never be organised enough to prepare my own raw food for them I confess!) is most definately worth it I feel. For our needs, this product is the perfect solution for my cats dietary needs.

Edit: the order, placed yesterday afternoon online, arrived this morning at 07.55. Now that is good service!

#15 BSH, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  16. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Hobbs....what is your opinion on the balance of the final mix they have come up with? Would it still be advisable to add some extra B vitamins for example? And is the bone:meat:eek:ffal ratio spot on?

17. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I didn't get an email, even after asking them a couple of weeks ago about what was happening :mad:
    Will have a look now

18. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

No, they already include brewer's yeast for B-vitamins. I don't think I would add anything - essentially they only provide the macroanalysis (protein, fibre, ash, moisture), which is pretty useless. However, a more detailed analysis of the macromineral content and the micronutrient content costs money.

So, no, don't add anything, apart from still a little more taurine.

No idea what their final formulation looks like (i.e. how much liver they are using) and whether they are using more offal (e.g. kidney) and that is part of the meat or whether they have just decided to leave that out.

I don't have much time today - would someone be a sleuth and phone them up to see what they put in (meat %, bone%, liver %)?

#18 hobbs2004, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  19. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Mobile Pet Foods Ltd
    This company currently sells the dog food, and have just told me they will look in to getting the new cat food. They deliver to various areas of London on a named day and charge £2.95 for delivery.:p

20. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

:eek: Looks like I'll have to set an alarm for delivery haha.. I'd never wake up otherwise!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice