Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Natural Instinct - day one :)

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Buttons1, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

I've decided to start Dylan with Natural Instinct and I'm very excited :)

We are starting with Lamb and Chicken (just a teaspoon) and it looks amazing. My husband managed to hack up the big frozen block in to small bits so I can introduce it slowly, over 10 days. It looks amazing!

My local pet supplier said they can get all the different flavours so we may try another one next time. They can even get Wild Rabbit, which doesn't seem to be on the NI website.

I will let you know how it goes down.

2. Joy84

Joy84 PetForums VIP

Good luck!
    Phoebe likes chicken and beef NI.
    I tried them all, she was very reluctant towards wild game bird <can't blame her, smells awful> and venison <but lots of other cats like it>, she did eat chicken and lamb for a bit then went off it :rolleyes:
    As for the rabbit ... I wouldn't bother if I was you!
    Most cats hate it, I thought they stopped making it hence it not being on their website ...
    And I have to say Phoebe LOVES rabbit, just not the NI rabbit :nonod:

3. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

We just have the chicken and beef and lamb

The venison is horrible ... Very tough and sticky

The wild bird is far to rich for my lots ... It was a day of poorly tummies ,

4. gentoo1980

gentoo1980 PetForums Member

Please let me know how much it cost to feed him when he's eating just the NI. My lot haven't gone raw yet but have bought the grinder, supplemtns, scales ect...

I'd love to be able to buy local in tin but thought it would cost to much. I read yesterday that they eat far less compared to tinned meat so I might have been better trying Natural Instincts first.

#4 gentoo1980, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  5. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

Well Dylan absolutely adored the Chicken and Lamb, I've never seen him eat so quickly! I was tempted to give him more but I'm trying really hard to be good and do it slowly.

I'm a bit worried about the other flavours now I've read your comments. Beef makes Dylan have a poorly tummy so I was going to avoid that one. The person in the shop did seem to say Rabbit as a bit of an after thought so I'm guessing they don't sell much of it. I think he said Chicken and beef, chicken and lamb and Game were the main ones that they sell, but they could order them all in. I will probably try the Game or Venison next. Dylan wasn't a huge fan of the Ropocat versions of those but I'm going to keep trying them.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on the Game and Venison flavours? It would be good to get a sense of which are the most popular on here.

gentoo1980 - i will keep an eye on how much Dylan gets through. He is a very active 8 month old who is still growing (currently just over 4kg) so he may not be a good benchmark, but I guess it depends if your cat is similar. He eats around 350g of Natures Menu (pouches) and Hi-Life at the moment if that helps. I think he should be eating just over 200g of raw based on his weight.

6. Citrineblue

Citrineblue PetForums VIP

When I fed NI the game and venison flavours were their favourite and not the lamb!! It is rich but they loved it.

I find making my own that again their favourite are the wild game meats ie venison, pigeon, partridge. It is that season!!. Luckily the butcher puts aside any that don't look perfect for me!! Pigeon breast is the absolute favourite now.

7. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

That's VERY good to hear, I was worried that we would be stuck with Chicken and Lamb. I know venison is supposed to be good for a sensitive tummy so I was hoping that one would work out.

8. alixtaylor

alixtaylor PetForums VIP

Don't worry about introducing it slowly, it won't cause him any problems, it's not like introducing new wet foods. We tried Luna with a small amount of NI at first to see if she liked it and then the next day we fed her only raw (and continue to do so!).

Also I would recommend trying all the flavours, Luna will only eat the Venison flavour (she's very fussy!), but I know plenty of cats who won't touch this one. All depends on your cat's taste, what sort of texture/smell they like etc. The more flavours he likes the better, as you'll get plenty of rotation in his diet then. A lot of beef wet food used to give Luna a very bad stomach, to the point that we avoided it completely, however she can eat raw beef and is absolutely fine.

Best of luck with the raw change over! :)

9. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

So you think it would be ok to give a him a proper meal of it tomorrow? The consistency looks amazing. It will be interesting to see what the others look like.

That's re-assuring to know about the beef, it would be great to have all the flavours in rotation. I'm just so glad I can get it locally and try them one by one. I've got so many tins under my bed from foods that haven't worked out.

10. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

You can't compare buying NI and making your own, if you have bought the grinder etc you have already committed to providing the best for your kitty which will cost more than buying any of the commercially products available.

11. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

If NI costs £2.25 per 500g tub, and you feed a 5kg cat 3% of it's body weight (advised to be 2-3% ) then it would work out at 65p per day.
    the cost of home made depends a lot on the kind of meat you buy. I get mine from a butcher, so not the cheapest supermarket chicken....and I think it averages about £1.50 per 500g. Obviously if I were to buy pricier meats this cost would rise, and you have to consider the overhead of the grinder which you have bought.

12. alixtaylor

alixtaylor PetForums VIP

It'll be fine, raw food usually causes mild constipation and much more solid poo (sorry for the graphic image!) so there is no chance of any runny poo problems during the change over.

The venison is much tougher, this is the sort of texture Luna prefers and she's won't go near the wetter/softer ones like Chicken & Beef. Rabbit and Wild Game are also a bit tougher and require a bit more chewing!

Tell me about it, I have so much food that Luna has turned her nose up at or upset her IBD. She used to be on a rotation of all the NI foods as a kitten, but around 1 year old she decided she had very select taste! :rolleyes:

13. anotheruser

anotheruser PetForums Senior

While I have't worked out the cost exactly (yet), I did estimate NI and home-made to be about the 50p-80p per day, tins is about £1 per day. However I haven't factored into it the cost of a grinder and supplements, nor did I factor in the cost of delivery for NI.

Very true.
    My kitties are two days raw, two days tinned now. Plus with raw, I am improving how I make it each time - you can't do that with NI or tins.

14. ArchieandMolly

ArchieandMolly PetForums Member

Our 11 month old cat Molly loves all the NI flavours except for rabbit. Originally she wasn't keen on venison or wild game but now they are definitely her favourites. I intend to try her on rabbit again in a month or so to see if she's changed her mind - this is what I did with venison & wild game previously. Molly really likes the chewiness of the venison and game versions :D

15. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

Brilliant, I will definitely try those two next then :)

I'm not sure if Dylan is a fan of chewy food or not as all of his food so far has been quite mushy, but I guess I'll soon find out

16. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

Dylan is definitely a raw convert. He has spent most of the day sat by his food mat waiting for more yummy chicken and lamb! He has had plenty of his normal food but he just keeps going back and sitting there waiting. I gave in and gave him another portion and it was demolished in seconds.

I think I'm going to have to take alixtaylor's advice and move him over fairly quickly, he's addicted already :)

I'd better call Muddy Paws tomorrow and ask them to stock up!

17. gentoo1980

gentoo1980 PetForums Member

That's really cheap. I do prefer the idea of making my own as I can decide what goes into it. I don't mind spending a little more on anti-biotic free chickens and hoping to buy free range to but only if I can afford it.

I want to give them wild caught rabbit to but can only find a few online suppliers, am worried about bacteria. It will be delivered frozen, I'll be defrosting it, mincing it up and then re-freezing it. Does that sound ok?

I was hoping my cats would also still eat wet cat food a few days a week as if I end up in hosptial my mum wouldn't be up to making raw. I guess I should give them NI a few days a week incase I end up in again.

Hope my local pet shop sells it. She can't buy online and I wouldn't be in a fit state to order it for her.

18. anotheruser

anotheruser PetForums Senior

So long as you don't let it defrost, then hang around for a few days, then re-freeze it.
    Many people let it partially defrost until they can cut it.

19. sashski

sashski PetForums Senior

My girls were on rotation of the whole range, then at the beginning of the heat a couple of months ago -around their 1 year birthday actually?- they decided they weren't keen on chicken and lamb or chicken and beef. They only like the wild game bird and venison! You can mix a splash of water in and mix it up a bit to soften it.

You won't regret the change!

20. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

Dylan is still loving the NI chicken and lamb :)

He pretty much turns his nose up at the RopoCat now but I'm keen to keep it on the menu to add variety and to make sure he doesn't get constipated. I never thought I'd be worrying about that!

I wasn't feeling great this morning so was in bed when my husband and the kids got up. I got a text from my husband just now saying Dylan had done a 'beautiful' poo this morning :D The things you get excited about after having a cat with an ongoing dodgy tummy! I didn't even know he had done one and normally I can smell them from the bedroom (the tray is in the utility room).

Enough poo chat, just wanted to say its all going brilliantly. My local shop gets their next shipment of NI on Friday so I'm going to be there grabbing whatever I can!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice