Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Natural Chews - how often to give to a small dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Kokoni Owner, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Kokoni Owner

Kokoni Owner PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

We rescued a small dog during the summer and she’s settled into the house brilliantly. She’s under 7kg, but is very active and does like a good chew/crunch, so I’ve been looking into more natural treats for her - bully sticks, duck/chicken necks, biltong, venison ears etc.

What I’m not clear on is how often I should be giving her these in order for her to get enjoyment from them but so not to risk her putting on weight: she’s a lovely condition at present. Are some more high calorie than the others so that I would need to consider reducing her meals in order to balance it out? I was thinking a chew once or twice a week max- does that sound reasonable?

Many thanks in anticipation of any guidance :)

Torin. likes this.
  2. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

As a small dog you are right to be concerned about weight. I'd just reduce her meals slightly on the days you give the treats. My dogs are all around 20kg give or take, and they get a natural treat every day at lunchtime.
    I'd just get a variety and cut them up into smaller pieces. You can probably fine their nutritional info on the internet somewhere if it's not provided on the packaging. Then reduce her meals accordingly. It's not something I worry about much with my dogs as I feed by eye anyway, adding more or taking away depending on their condition, but if I had a small dog I'd certainly be more aware of what I was feeding treat wise.

Torin. likes this.
  3. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

My Cad is just under 5.6Kg, he gets chews a couple of times a week? I only feed gross animal bits chews (and occasionally Yakkers) rather than more highly processed carbohydrate commercial chews, but I separate them out in my head into high fat and low fat categories, and won't give a high fat one twice in one week.

Cad gets most of his food as part of training, and the situation where he gets chews are thing where I'm busy and need him to occupy himself quietly, which also results in less training time. So effectively he gets that instead of say 1/3 of his daily food allowance? But I just roughly balance it up in my head. It does help though that I have scales I can weigh him on at home, so I can tell very quickly if I've messed up somewhere.

p.s. welcome to PF @Kokoni Owner - please can we see a photo? :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice