Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Nasty nasty ticks !

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by jenna107, Sep 3, 2013.

1. jenna107

jenna107 PetForums Junior

Hello, can anyone advise of a good flea and tick combo treatment or would I have to treat for each individually? I have heard advantage is good for fleas but not sure if this fights against the nasty little ticks! Any advice appreciated :)

2. cat burglar

cat burglar PetForums Member

Hi, my ginger ninga is the only one of my 4 cats to pick up these unwanted hitch hikers! Although Frontline spot-on isn't as effective on killing fleas as it used to be, it still works beautifully on killing ticks ;) I now alternate between using Advocate and Frontline. In between I use an O'Tom tick remover to manually remove the ticks....

The O'TOM / TICK TWISTER® to remove ticks: Official Website

3. jenna107

jenna107 PetForums Junior

What a nifty tool! I am going to purchase one off ebay :D i have previously been using tweezers to get them out (making sure i get them right at the base). Would you recommend the frontline for the tick problem? sounds like it has worked for you:)

4. cat burglar

cat burglar PetForums Member

Indeed it is a nifty tool! :D

Yes, I highly recommend Frontline to kill ticks effectively. When I use Frontline on my cat, the ticks I find on him are dead (black & shrivelled), then when I alternate with Advocate to kill fleas and worms, I have to manually remove the blighters. My cat who regularly picks up these hitch hikers is a huge, semi-long haired boy so checking for tiny ticks on him is like looking for a needle in a haystack (I can feel the larger ticks with my hands when I check him over, but the tiny ones escape my scrutiny until they're engorged and thus larger! :eek:

Shame that there isn't one product that kills all 3 parasites (unless there is one that I don't know about).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice