Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Nasty Estate Agent!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by clg86, May 14, 2010.

1. clg86

clg86 PetForums Member

Hi Guys,

Sorry to bother you with a rant but I'm a little worried...

We are in the process of buying a cottage that was built in the 1800's and if it isn't stressful enough buying a house, the estate agent that it's up with is being a complete !!!!!

The mortgage lender did their own valuation survey, which came back fine and they were still lending us the money, but because of the age of the house and how much we are paying for it we were told by our financial advisor that he would recommend us to have a home buyers survey as the valuation survey doesn't look in as much detail.

We got this organised asap but when the estate agent found out, he called me up and was telling me it is a waste of money and there's no point because the lenders weren't going to drop the price anymore! He was really blunt with me and I didn't know whether i was more angry or upset with him. I explained that we were doing it for piece of mind given the circumstances and he basically said if we didn't get it sorted by the end of the week, the house was going back on the market!

Anyway, the report has come back and there is nothing major on it, just the "usual" problems, so i e-mailed the estate agent out of courtesy telling him it was back and i have sent it to my solicitor, but she is unfortunatley out of the office until Monday. He then called me again and left yet another arsey voicemail saying the vendors need an answer of yes or no whether we are buying the house! I was too upset to call him back so i've just sent him an e-mail explaining that we really do want this house but surely our solicitor needs to go through the report first???

I don't know what to do, I can't express anymore to him how much we want this house and we are only going off advise from the people we are paying to make this a "stress free" move, but he keeps threatening us that if we don't hurry up, the house will go back on the market!

2. noogsy

noogsy PetForums VIP

hi how does the other estate agent have your number?
    when we were buying our house everything went through our solicitor.
    if he phones you again ask him nicely to contact your solicitor:)
    tell him the solicitor is in charge:)
    and has your details.
    i think he is getting pressure from the vendors
    but at the end of the day the lawyers sort everything out.
    the vendors lawyer and your lawyer should be talking.
    well thats what i think:eek:,
    we do have a better system in scotland where gazumping dosent happen in the same way.
    love noogsy

3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Sounds like the estate agent hasn't hit his target for the month :rolleyes:

I'd phone and speak to the boss and say you're not happy with how you've been treated and that you are acting under advice from your solicitor etc and that you still want to 100% buy the house but it has to go through the proper channels.

4. clg86

clg86 PetForums Member

Thanks for your replies!:)

Unfortunately, this guy owns and runs this estate agents, hence why he has my number...

I think he may be getting a little pressure from the vendors because they are waiting to move into a house also, but I have told the EA that he can tell the vendors we are still very interested!

He keeps saying they will not budge on the price whatever these surveys say, but I explained that we were only getting them done for piece of mind as the house was built in the 1800's, not to get money off. We already managed to knock them down a massive amount so it was purely so we knew how much we'd need to budget for in the future.

It's frustrating! We want to move in as quick as we can, but we surely have to follow advice from the people we are paying???:confused::

5. cherry

cherry PetForums Member

I think the estate agent wants this deal done and dusted as soon as cos he can see a great big fat cheque for himself at the end of it! He is worried that a full survey may well have shown up major problems causing you to pull out of the deal. Dont let them intimidate you.
    xx:p

6. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

Is the house detached or terraced? - as an ex agent i used to get very frustrated when poeple got a home buyers done on a old terraced property, it's a waste of money because if there was an issue it would have already been brought up from a previous sale.

Remember the agent is acting in the best interests of a seller - has the property been on the market long ? Has a sale previously fallen though, all of these things make sellers wary of new buyers and they'll have wasted enough time the first tiem a sale goes though

Old school agents are pushy. They don't really work like real human beings, they try to stamp their feet and threaten their whole way through a deal - trust me, when it comes to exchanging contracts he'll probably have empty threats like 'the buyer is going to pull out if this doesn't echange by 5pm today' They are very simmilar to spoilt childen

Don't worry about it too much. At the end of the day if your offer has been accepted and the deal is progressing you should be fine. Would be alot more effort to find a new buyer, get a new survey, wait for a mortgage offer yadda yadda yadda

Also - ofcourse the agent will contact you - thats how offers and sales go through, I always tried to have a good relationship with buyers because it makes the sale goes through smoother.

Anyway don't worry good luck and if you have any queries i am happy to help if i can!!

#6 lifeizsweet, May 14, 2010
    Last edited: May 15, 2010
  7. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I would have thought they were acting for the seller, seeing as that's who pays them!

8. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

hhaha typo! yeah they are acting in the interest of the seller!!

9. clg86

clg86 PetForums Member

It's an end terraced and the original valuation survey had a couple of issues on it, but never went into any detail with it. This survey came free from the lenders but we said from the start that we would be paying for a seperate homebuyers as soon as that report came back. The property has been on the market for 2 years and as far as we know, nobody had put an offer in and no sale had fallen through.

We have always wanted to move in asap and it was never us that had the issues, it was the solicitors. I understand how frustrating it must be for the sellers as they are wanting to move into a house too, but it is the attitude of this EA that makes me so mad! All along we have have said yes, we want to move in, but threatening me is surely wrong??? Should it not be the solicitors dealing with how quickly things happen? If it was down to us, we would have moved in last month and saved ourselves a months rent on the place we live in at the minute!

However... Unusually, the sellers asked us to go round last night which I thought was a little weird at first, but we went and it was good to let them know that we are not, and never have wanted to, back out. I think it put their mind at ease and ours talking to them. Hopefully everything will go as quickly as possible but if this EA doesn't stop talking to me the way is is doing, i will not be held responsible for my actions!:mad:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice