Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

Nasal discharge

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by LouiseWR, Aug 20, 2019.

  1. LouiseWR

    LouiseWR PetForums Newbie

    Aug 20, 2019
    Likes Received:
    My 15 week old puppy has had a nasal discharge since yesterday. The discharge is greenish in color and slightly thick and mucous-like. I really only see it when he's sleeping and it's enough that I need to wipe his nose. There is minimal discharge when he is awake. He doesn't seem to have any other symptoms. No diarrhea or vomiting and his energy levels and food intake are normal.

    I do want to take him to the vet, however we purchased pet insurance and have two more days left in our waiting period. Any health problems brought to the vet during this time period won't be covered and could be listed as pre-existing conditions and not covered in the future. If this is a serious problem I'd take him to the vet now regardless of the cost and future consequences, but if it isn't serious I'd rather wait two days.

    I just don't know what to do.....any advice?
    #1 LouiseWR, Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  2. lullabydream

    lullabydream PetForums VIP

    Jun 25, 2013
    Likes Received:
    Tough call.. But there is no point lying to the vet about when symptoms as this could effect treatment which in a young puppy I wouldn't want to delay. The discharge could indicate infection so knowing how long the puppy has been like this is vital... But I don't know am not a vet. So it's a wild stab in the dark.

    All insurance forms ask for onset of the ailment anyway.. Which officially would put your puppy in the exclusion zone if taken that far.

    See what other people suggest might help too.. What breed is your puppy too? This can help decide whether it's something to be worried about, although nasal discharge isn't normal by a long shot in dogs.
    Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Blitz

    Blitz PetForums VIP

    Feb 12, 2009
    Likes Received:
    Unfortunately it will be counted as a pre existing condition. You cant really tell your vet it has only just started when you take him in 2 days time. Well, you could, but now you have put it on here it might get traced.
    Lurcherlad and lullabydream like this.
  4. Lurcherlad

    Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

    Jan 5, 2013
    Likes Received:
    I couldn’t lie on a claim and I think you might have to to qualify with this, as you can’t honestly declare it started after the qualifying date. I would just take the pup to the vet ASAP and pay the bill tbh.

    Chances are it’s nothing serious/expensive anyway but will need treatment and the sooner the better imo.

    A consultation fee plus antibiotics cost me about £80 in the past and was less than my Excess anyway, which I set at £150 I think, to reduce the premium.
    Blitz and lullabydream like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice