UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He has had it for at least the past two weeks, leading to a couple of whoops incidents on the carpet before he could make it to the litter tray. His poo has been consistently runny, sometimes lighter in colour sometimes darker, but definitely no blood.

He seems OK in himself, if a bit less lively than usual. The vet saw him a week ago, and he had no temperature, no abdominal discomfort, or any other obvious signs, coat in normal condition, eyes are fine. He has been licking his bottom a lot and it has been getting quite raw, and he has licked a bald patch up his tail next to his bottom as well. I got the results back from the stool sample today, and it was negative for the usual things they test for, Giardia, etc.

I'm at a loss! I have been reading the IBD thread, and I'm wondering whether this might be the problem? However, it seems that an IBD diagnosis tends to be made once everything else has been discounted, so I don't know what other tests would be useful or appropriate at this stage... his diet hasn't changed at all, but it might well be that he has eaten something while out and about that has disagreed with him. He has been eating some of the Hills i/d (wet) that the vet gave me, along with Pro-Kolin.

What's a bit worrying is that Sinbad seems to be coming down with the same thing, or something similar. I haven't noticed him passing diarrhoea, but he has had a rumbly stomach and has also been licking his bottom raw, with a similar bald patch to Napoleon's. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas about what I can do next?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I will ask the vet. However, he was given an antibiotic injection when he was there last week, would that have dealt with Tri-foetus or not?

·
Riley
8,255 Posts
Hi, how old is he and has there been any weight loss? Riley had full blood works and his poo was tested for practically everything, and he had a body image scan and then biopsies were taken. You can ask for copy of what they have so far tested on your cat. With rileys stool sample I had to do a pool sample which meant had to be collected over several days to give greater chance of finding any parasites. Has your vet suggested any next steps?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they are both four and a half - Napoleon has lost a little bit of weight, but Sinbad hasn't. I did call the vets last night, and they did not test for TF, so I need to collect a new set of samples (three separate ones in case any parasites aren't excreted in one or two of them).

The vet has suggested continuing with the Hills i/d and Pro-Kolin for now, but it doesn't seem to be having any effect - I saw Napoleon do a very runny poo in the garden this morning...

·
Riley
8,255 Posts
If possible keep them inside for few days so you can be sure they are not eating anything over than what is in their bowls. Is it the id dry or wet as need to make sure they are getting plenty of fluid with them having the runs!

Also try giving them boiled chicken to soothe their tummies (riley will not eat chicken but yours may) though the id should work but if they are going out you don't know what else they are eating!

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
You need to ask for the QPCR test for TF as it's the most reliable. I tend to use Langford Labs when testing my animals. They are a research lab, not just a commercial one, so tend to be very, very thorough in their testing. Giardia can also show false negatives in tests. Did you collect the sample over 3 days and did you make sure it wasn't contaminated with litter? It might be an idea to treat them on the Giardia protocol with Panacur for 7 days. It won't harm them and may well sort the problem.

·
Registered
500 Posts
My three went through similar and the thought was Giardia. Vets were crap and with the help of this forum and other sites the treatment that worked was three day course of Panacur - which is what is recommended for kittens but just increase the dose to match bodyweight.

Vets originally prescribed antibiotic which, according to all the research I read is only 60-70% effective. The active ingredient in Panacur was seen to be 100% effective. Bonus is no prescription required.

This may of course not be the issue, but try it as Panacur is considered safe.

Good luck.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, all - it looks like Panacur is going to be a good option in the short term. I will ask where the vets send their samples for testing as well - it cost £70 for the last set of tests, so if there's a more thorough and cheaper option, then I would be a fool not to use it.

The samples I have been collecting are a bit contaminated with litter, unfortunately - it's just impossible to collect them from anywhere other than there, unfortunately! Does that affect the diagnosis?

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
I was told that to be sure, you need to use innert litter. You can get this from your vet. It's a plasticky nonabsorbent stuff. It's horrendous for them and you to use, needs washing every time they have a wee, sticks to everything, but for sampling purposes, it's the only thing I'd trust.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.