Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Naming conventions for kittens

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by missye87, Apr 5, 2011.

1. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

I'm going to get a maine coon, as we have previously had one as companion for my old boy.
    If I want to get a kitten, do they always have to be named by the breeder? I don't mean the prefix, but the actual name.
    I'm very keen to name the little boy after our previous MC, whose name was Franklin. I've known for a long timethat I want to name a new kitten Benjamin Franklin (Benji for short).
    It's just that when I look around on breeders websites, the kittens seem to already be named!

Many thanks,

Emily

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

most breeders name their kittens so that they can be registered without having to wait for their new owners to choose a name. Lots of breeders - myself included - like to choose themes for their kitten names. If you choose a kitten before it has been registered the breeder may be happy for you to choose its name. Names have to be no more 26 letters including the prefix and any spaces.
    I know 'my' kittens haven't ended up with anything like the names I gave them on their pedigrees :D

3. HannahKate

HannahKate PetForums Senior

My new boy has gone from Flaming Bon Voyage (home name Felix) to Rueben. Flaming just didn't seem like a real name and Felix is just not my thing. :)

4. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Good old Sooty (who is a moggy!!) was originally Turbo.
    Thanks for the tips on the length of the names :)
    If they have named them however, would it be possible going about changing it? I'm fairly adamant I want him to have that name, I know my mum would really appreciate it as she was Franklin's.
    :D

5. HannahKate

HannahKate PetForums Senior

You can call him whatever you want regardless of whether it's on his papers or not. He won't know the difference! :)

6. lymorelynn

Staff Member

Just checked up on name changing - it can only be done with the permission of the GCCF

7. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Thanks for looking it up for me :) Do you have the link os I could have a look around? Obviously if it's more hag than it's worth I'll just call him something else, but I know my mum would love it if his actual name was Benjamin Franklin :001_smile:

8. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

one of our much missed colourpoints we chose her name. The breeder prefix was Moonmariner and she chose flowers for the names of her kittens. The breeder asked if we would like to choose the rest of her name. Being a colourpoint she had lovely blue eyes so we chose Morning Glory for her. Her pet name then became Glory

9. lymorelynn

Staff Member

Link to GCCF Welcome to the Governing Council of the Cat Fancy
    The bit that tells you about registering is under breeders, registration notes, right at the end there's a form to download for registering kittens and notes on registering.
    I think the best way forward is to find a breeder with the kitten you want and ask them if you can name the kitten :)
    You know you kept me awake half the night thinking of new kitten name themes - inventors :D and then I went on to physicists - atomic kittens :cool:

10. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

You breed as well? You could do things like South American cities (RiO De Janeiro, Salvador, Caracas, Brasilia, Santiago, Lima :)
    I've seen people using alcholic themes too, like Bailey's, Tia Maria, WKD blue....:D

11. lymorelynn

Staff Member

My first litter was Christmas song titles and the last litter was Halloween. (that's the Halloween litter in my avatar)I really want to do a cocktail theme because of my girl's name - Mai Tai - and also because we are also in the alcohol business :D You have to be careful using brand names like Bailey etc because of the trade-mark. They're okay for pet names but shouldn't be used as pedigree names.

12. Cooniemum

Cooniemum PetForums Junior

I always choose the registered name for my kittens as you have to be careful about calling the kitten an individual name when registered ie if 2 kitten owners wanted to call their kittens Alfie then I wouldn't be able to register 2 'Alfies' under my prefix.

Apart from 2 kittens that kept a shortened version of their pedigree name, all of my new owners call their kittens a pet name and I would never expect any different. All of my breeding cats have been given pedigree names by the breeders and I have given them all their own individual pet names.

Just because a kitten has a pedigree name on a website, doesn't mean that you can't call it whatever you want to.

13. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

....and then of course there is the long list of 'silly' names that a cat attracts in it's new home!

14. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Like Sooty has you mean?!
    Sotis, tatis, potatismos (mashed potato in Swedish), muschmusch, snutt, snuttsnutt, bambino, bubbis, love, etc, etc, etc... :p

15. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Yes, something like that! Milo is relishing his new name of Mr wiggly waggly tail....:eek:

16. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Love it! :D
    I used to love Sooty's tail, he used it much like a sharkfin, you could always see where he was and which direction he was going in, as the tip was always pointing forward! He had to have it amputated though after a fight with a local unspayed cat, it got infected and gradually died :(

17. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

i was waiting for a seal birman kitten once, and when she was born and her colour came through the breeder let me pick her name when she was registering them,:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice