Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Name tags.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nonnie, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Why oh why do people insist on not using them?

I found a shitzu this evening. Typically it had a collar but no tag. I had a good ring around, contacted all the vets, and took it for a wander around the roads incase its owner was looking for it.

All this hassle could have been prevented if it was wearing a name tag like the states it should be. One phone call would have been all it took. I was just about to take it to the vets to be scanned when another dog walker spotted us and recognised it. They then were able to track down its owner.

It = Dave, and he's just been picked up (after i spent a few minutes chasing a huge flea through his fur). It wasnt his owner who collected him, but i told them about getting a tag, and suggested he was treated for fleas.

These things would be so much simpler if people just used common sense.

2. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

I have a tag for Bess :D
    Similar occurence happened to me. We found a JRT cross but luckily it had an ID tag, but it is fustrating when they don't. We have had to hand a few over to the vets or dog warden before :(

3. Baby Bordie

Baby Bordie PetForums VIP

When i get my dog, i will definately have a name tag.... Rather be safe, Than sorry!

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I used to regularily find a JRT. He used to play with Oscar, then follow us home. Even when i found out who his owner was, i would take him to my vets. Then he was picked up by the dog warden, and the man had to pay £70 to get him back.

He now wears a name tag :)

5. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

I see it ALL the time here, i give up telling people and have actually talked to the dog warden about trying to come down and sort it out.

6. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

I was under the impression that an identifcation tag on a dog was required by law.

She always has a tag that gives his name, my home and mobile numbers, his registerd vets number and the fact that he is microchipped. I even replace his tags when they become worn or dented.

Even my cats have tags with the same information.

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

It IS law. Yet some people dont adhere to it.

Plus no one enforces it. In one day the dog warden could make a fortune through fines if they had an amnesty.

8. Broxi_jim

Broxi_jim PetForums Senior

I was also lead to believe that it was LAW to have an ID tag on your dog ! :confused:

But who is gonna enforce it ??? :rolleyes:

People seem to occupied with the DDA to care about dogs roaming the streets from early morning to night time when the owners get home from work !

IF, this is enforced maybe it will lead to reduced dog attacks. As people won't let their dogs out to do as it pleases because they will get fined !!

And if a dog warden or RSPCA inspector sees' a dog roaming with ID tag or collar LIFT it and fine the owners !!

Then maybe one day people can take their dogs on a walk without the risk of a strange dog roaming that might attack their dog !

9. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

As nonnie said, it is law. We have a poster up in the shop telling people. It can be up to a £5000 fine! Yet people still dont do it because it is not enforced.
    Sabre has a microchip and a collar and tag. The cat(tiger) has a collar and tag.

*Heidi*

10. rona

rona Guest

We have found so many dogs, so few have name tags :(

11. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

It just makes life so difficult.

We used to get loads of strays in at the vets, and very few were chipped. The poor dog would then have to sit in a cage until the dog warden came, then would be shipped off to spend god knows how long in a kennel. A tag would have meant a quick phone call, the dog and owner being reunited.

12. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

There is no way I'd take mine out without a dog tag.

We were at a car boot sale once with our old dog. My brother wanted to go back to the car so he took Sam (the dog) with him so we could carry on browsing. When my brother got back to the car, he took Sam's lead off as you do. Sam had other ideas, turned around and went running back to all the stalls to find me and my mum. Panic set in. How the hell were we going to find a small dog (shih tzu) in such a big crowd?? We all (3 of us) split up. My mum soon got a phone call on her mobile from one of the stall owners who'd grabbed him and found the number on his collar and we were soon reunited.

I dread to think what would have happened if he hadn't got a tag :(

13. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Neither of mine wear a collar, they are chipped, not all owners are so irresponsible as the ones you describe ;)

There are exceptions to the law as regards wearing a collar and tag, although in this instance I'd suggest most definitely not applicable.

14. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Really? For working dogs perhaps?

15. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

Exceptions

•Dogs used on official duties by the armed forces, HM Customs & Excise or the police
    •Dogs used for sporting purposes and packs of hounds
    •Dogs used for the capture or destruction of vermin
    •Dogs used for driving or tending cattle or sheep
    •Guide Dogs for the Blind
    •Dogs used for emergency rescue work

:D

16. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

Something I've never been sure about is Cheeko can't wear a collar to use. He wears one but only because I think it looks nice but with his neck he can't have a lead attached to it incase it does more damage so instead he had his name tags on his harness. Should he also have one on his collar just incase? Going to be ordering one soon anyway for puppys collar so I'd rather order it at the same time.

17. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

My dog doesn't have a tag, but her details are embroidered into her collar. The jingling of the old tag was annoying at night.
    I once met a dog tied outside the supermarket. It was wearing a tag with the address on it and a spare door key attached! Come on all you burglars....

18. Gobaith

Gobaith PetForums VIP

It would prevent so much hassle if an owner who had an animal who goes walk-a-bouts has a name tag with just a contact number atleast!

19. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I never leave my dogs with out id.
    Even if I bath them, the collar goes straight back on.

I lost my lab x goldie because I stupidly took her new collar off to let her swim. She had perfect recall so I thought I would not like to have to buy another collar. She chased after a rabbit and I still feel guilty for saving the price of a collar I lost my beautiful dog and Dixie's best friend. I never want to lose another dog through stupidity.

I have bought my oh friend a tag for his jrt because his had the wrong number on (the ex's) and smudge is very small he can escape easily and they have just moved.

x

20. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Yes I would definitely have one on his collar if it was me because you never know if he gets out when he hasn't got his harness on. Is he microchipped?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice