Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Nail

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Wonhosangel, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Wonhosangel

Wonhosangel PetForums Newbie

Hey everyone! This morning I found a piece of a cats nail in my cats head. It wasn’t in too deep but when I took it out (I thought it was just stuck on his fur) there was a little blood at the end of it and one of his eyes had tears coming from it :(. Should I be worried? I’m thinking if I should book an emergency appointment at the vet but he’s still running around like normal. Thank you in advance for any help!

2. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum. :) I am guessing your cat is an outdoor cat and could have got into a fight. I would wash your cats head with cooled boiled salty water. To clean the area. I think unless he has an injury he would be ok to wait until tomorrow and you could phone your vet for advice. Check him over in case he has bites on him as these can turn very quickly into abscesses. If he has bites I would wash him with the boiled salt water and get an appointment with your vet tomorrow. I hope I have helped a little.
    Viv xx

Wonhosangel and chillminx like this.
  3. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Just remembered I would also wash your cats eyes too using separate cotton wool for each eye. Keep a close eye on his eyes as long as they are bright and clear, with no pus coming out he will be fine.
    Viv xx

Wonhosangel likes this.
  4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I wouldn't necessarily say any wound from where the claw was is an emergency but I would be concerned that his eye may have been scratched.
    Whether or not it needs emergency treatment is something you will need to decide but I would definitely get it checked out in the morning if it is still weeping.

Wonhosangel and vivien like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice