Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Nail trimming game on position

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by tabelmabel, Mar 5, 2021.

1. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

I have started training at last! This is part of my susan garratt course and, if i ever get near Tilly's foot, it will be progress.

So i got started last week and got a dremmel and nail clippers. Then i realised i needed a target stick to teach the game on position. Susan uses a game on position so the dog can signal when he is up for nail clipping. And when he has had enough.

Murph already has a game on position for grooming and i thought he is pretty stoic so i havent gone through susan's programme for him.

Basically, i did the exact thing susan says not to do. Got hold of his foot and took the end of his nail off with the clipper. Nearly lost an eye!

Game off all right! Murph does not like clippers. However, the dremmel is ok if someone holds a kong full of peanut butter at his nose.

First time i have dremelled his nails ever. I have been doing it all wrong always.

After stumbling upon an article headed "top 5 mistakes dog owners make with dog nails" or something like that, i realised i make every mistake going.

Including leaving it to the groomer twice a year:Bag

Anyway, we got round his nails over a couple of nights and now he doesnt tip tap on the kitchen floor at all.

Holding a distractor at nose level is not advised by susan either but it seemed to work ok for murph.

Tills will be a whole different ball game.

However we have started with promise today. Good thing is i have never tried to clip her nails so no negative bad experience. Bad thing i only now realise i should have started as a puppy getting her used to this. Oh well.

So she isnt scared of the sight of the dremmel switched off or on low speed. High speed she doesnt like. But she doesnt like the hoover either so no surprise there.

Game on position. Yes she can do that easily. But as soon as i hold a paw it is game off!!

Still, only day one so i will go very slowly and see if i can get her comfortable with it.

And, as with all training, it has fried both dogs' brains and they are now fast asleep.

Though next door has started drilling the wall. Maybe the dogs will dream of dremmels . . .

kimthecat, Arny, JoanneF and 2 others like this.
  2. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

At the moment we can get one nail trimmed a day before she’s had enough which is at least progress on no nails a day

tabelmabel likes this.
  3. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

One nail a day will be massive for Till. In fact one nail in a life time will be an achievement.

She has only had them clipped once in her whole life. A woman in the pdsa mobile van did them without tilly even noticing. Just bent down whilst till stood and clipped the whole lot.

They arent really, really long as she is well exercised every day. But they do tap on the kitchen floor. Which i never even realised was such a problem til susan educated me. This is how i have left it so long. Complete ignorance! Was bliss!

I think it will be weeks before i try the dremmel near tilly's paw. There is a lot of work to be done on handling her feet yet. She is very different from murphy. He is cool as a cucumber. She is so touch sensitive. She likes a good shoulder massage and belly rub but not her feet touched.

4. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums VIP

It takes 2 people to just clip afew nails for Whisp, 1 to clip and 1 to shove treats in her face. She has enough very quickly and gives us a growl.

Walks are usually in sticky mud at the moment so don't wear her claws down.

We are still desensitizing her to the nail grinder but it's a very slow wal to clip long nails.

Will look in to Susan Garratt.

5. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I'm still trying to get Penny to let me dremel her nails. I'm banned from using clippers in the house. I tried to un-do my ban and poor Bates bled for a good 30 minutes on a nail I quicked. Talk about horrible dog owner @Boxer123 I totally have you beat - I have never owned a dog I haven't quicked :rolleyes:

Anyway, I am pretty handy with a dremel and I can get nails a lot shorter that way. Penny is fine having her nails clipped now, she's definitely not fine with the dremel and she really needs her nails shorter than we've been able to clip them.
    So far I can touch her gently with the dremel but that's it. It's a LONG process. I'm glad she will let me clip her nails in the meantime!

It's so worth doing it right though. The danes were all fine being dremeled and it makes life SO much easier. Little dogs not that big of a deal to clip them, but clipping big dog nails sucks and you just can't get them short enough for the dog to be comfortable IME. Particularly oldies, it breaks my heart to see old dogs on too long nails :(

6. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

That's what murph did. Omg i nearly had heart failure. I wear glasses for distance but can see perfectly well close up with no glasses. So i practically had my face pressed against his foot (i am very short sighted) Got the clippers in position. Back foot. He is lying down calmly.

I squeezed the clipper handles together. I think he let out a growl and bark simultaneously. And his head came flying up with teeth bared:eek:

I hadnt even drawn blood! Anyway i wont be trying that again:D

7. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

8. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums VIP

I've never drawn blood, unfortunately the vet did one fateful night and ever since she sees clippers and hides like a beaten waif.

tabelmabel likes this.
  9. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I don't know if Susan Garrett includes this in her course, but one thing I recommend is having a nail grooming "place" and make it a very comfortable and rewarding place for the dog to be.
    I find it also helps to wear a headlamp for light (particularly with black nails) and I wear my reading glasses.

A good desensitization program is the way to go for sure, but honestly if your dog has really long nails, it might be worth a quick restrain (and sedation if needed) and get them knocked down. Nails that are constantly touching the ground make the feet themselves painful which in turn makes handling painful, which makes regular clipping painful, and it becomes a vicious cycle. Once the nails are a good length, a lot of dogs become less fussy about having their paws handled.

And a quick restrain and clip won't scar your dog for life either. If you can be quick and matter of fact, the dog won't even know what happened. With Penny, I picked her up, OH clipped one nail, we jollied her up, woo hoo party party, put her down, gave her treats, done.
    Did that about 5 times, now she lets me hold her while he does all 4 feet. She gets squirmy towards the end, but not because she's upset, just because she doesn't like to be still for that long :rolleyes:

With the dremel I'm being much more methodical, but she doesn't hold the restrained nail clips against me either.

10. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Im a whizz with guinea pig nails. Super simple. Ive drawn blood on some of my pigs past with black nails but a bit of flour is enough for a pig's nail. The pigs i have just now have clear nails so it is really easy to see the blood line.

Same as in dogs, it recedes with regular clipping. I bet murphs' bloodline was right close to the end and that is why he saw fit to rearrange my features.

Beth78 likes this.
  11. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums VIP

So you think cutting the quick is the way to go?, I'd think that's the way to get bitten with an already nervous dog.

Whisp winces when her foot is pulled up, any pain and she would have her teeth bared.

12. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

No, that's not at all what I said.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  13. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums VIP

Sorry I must have read it wrong. :oops:

14. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums VIP

I though quick restrain meant cutting the quick, totally not what you typed.

15. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums VIP

Given your expertise of cutting the quick :oops:

16. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums VIP

Lost in translation

17. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Oh I see!
    No, I meant restrain the dog quickly LOL!

Whisp's nails are pretty long. I imagine her feet hurt just being touched because those nails are hitting the ground every time she walks and her toes are just sore, much like your feet would be sore if your nails were too long inside a tight shoe.
    So just touching her feet is sore, which makes it hard to desensitize her to having her feet touched.
    If she were mine, I'd get the vet to sedate her and knock the nails back. That will give her feet a chance to not be so sore, from there you can work on desensitizing her. But if you get them back first it will give you a real leg up because they won't be so sore being touched.

LinznMilly likes this.
  18. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Well I've quicked Bates more times than I can count and he still falls asleep while I'm dremeling him.
    I quicked Breez twice, she still had no issues letting me dremel her or clip her nails.
    I've never quicked Penny, but I am the one who grabs her, holds her still while OH clips her nails, and she is getting better and better about having her nails done.
    If you don't freak out about it, they won't.

19. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

What I understand @O2.0 is saying is what I do. Isla is always giving a paw, it’s a default with her, so we hold the paw and snip her nail quickly as possible certainly not too the quick, just a small amount. A vet once said to me that regularly snipping off the tips was a useful thing to do

O2.0 likes this.
  20. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums VIP

Ashamedly bowed head.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice