Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Nail clipping

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Cazz enigma, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Cazz enigma

Cazz enigma PetForums Member

The boys are booked in to be groomed on the 8th February, but their nails seem really long to me. We do a fair bit of concrete walking, but it isn't enough.
    I would love to be able to do their nails myself, but am terrified of going to far and hurting them. With black nails too, it scares me.

Has any one any tips on nail cutting safely?

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I managed to cut a nail once....

No tips from me I'm afraid, I'm not confident enough to do it myself and decided after that 1 nail to leave it to the pros!

3. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

My dogs have their nails cut every week, I have a bit of a fetish about long nails, I like them very short and they run on concrete several times a week alongside the bike.

Have a bar of soap handy in case you cut the quick, the simiplest and cheapest way to stem the bleeding. The dog will not die if this happens it has happened on the odd occasion to me over the years, no probs.

Use a guillotine clipper made by Resco, high quality rather than pliers type as the latter can squeeze the quick and hurt some dogs.

ClickerSolutions Training Articles -- Nail Trimming for Sensitive Dogs

Take just the tip off at first.

Or alternatively use a Dremel

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Just take the tip off and then if they really are too long gradually work back. If you are doing a lot of pavement walking they probably are not really needing clipping. It is not something that most dogs need doing if they are walked on hard surfaces. Even my farm dogs go a lifetime without needing them done, apart from dew claws.

5. Cazz enigma

Thank you for your replies. I wonder if I could ask the groomer to show me and maybe have a go with her watching me.
    I am surprised at how much they haven't worn down of the pavement!! Finnley's look like polar bear paws.
    As for dew claws, what do they need them for, I have read somewhere they can be removed?

6. Cazz enigma

Thanks for the link, that is helpful

7. cazbah

cazbah PetForums Member

my groomers will cut nails for £5, we just call in without an appointment, takes minutes.

8. beris

beris PetForums Senior

Doesn't the groomer cut their nails as part of the service?

I always cut Heidi's nails myself but they are easy white nails.
    I took my daughters black lab to have her nails cut at the groomers last Friday and it cost £4,00. I wouldn't risk cutting her nails as they are black.

9. Cazz enigma

Yes she does and also charges £5, but their nails seem to grow between appointments, and our new groomer is quite a distance from us.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice