Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

n00b alert - everybody hide!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by catbasket, Jul 3, 2009.

1. catbasket

catbasket PetForums Member

:D

My name is catbasket and I am a cataholic.

It all started years ago when I was around 12yo. A local black and white stray adopted the family home as his own. Just one cat, no problem, we could handle it. Then a neighbour's cat had kittens and suddenly we seemed to be a three cat family as my sisters and Socks decided to adopt two of the cutest little black brothers ...

Years passed, I got a place of my own and lived the batchelor life thinking I'd had a lucky escape from cataholism. One day on the way home from the pub a life-changing experience - we stopped at some friends' house for coffee and I met their very friendly grey cat named Howard. He just loved being tickled behind the ears.

Sadly, a few months later Howie's mum and dad split up and for various reasons neither could keep Howie even though they both wanted to. Remembering the one and only time he'd met me he had seemed to like me they asked if I would adopt him. Foolishly I said yes. I didn't realise it at the time but this decision was the first step on a slippery slope that was to send me crashing down to become the dishevelled wreck I am today ...

Just one cat, no problem, I could handle it.

In March 2000 a girl at work was fostering brother and sister feral kittens for an animal charity. They were such cute little fluff balls and they reminded me of the two brothers Socks and my sisters adopted when I was young ... suddenly I'm a three cat family.

Again, I thought I could handle it ... errrr, nope. I had to take drastic measures to draft in extra help. I got married.

The now doomed Mrs CB had never spent much time with cats before. She wasn't that keen, what with the fur everywhere and the cat grit that gets into places where there aren't even any places ... and anyway hamsters are so much cuter.

They ganged up on her. It was three onto one. She never stood a chance, poor lass. With Howie and Musky on her lap and Twigs draped around her neck they purred her into submission. Brainwashing, that's what it is!

One year Mrs CB announced that for her birthday she would like ... two kittens. So as we became a five cat family, and we still are, I guess I should correct the introduction I made months ago at the start of this post -

My name is catbasket, and not only am I a cataholic - I turned my wife into one.

purrlover likes this.
  2. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome:)

3. ~Tete

~Tete PetForums Member

Pah only 5 cats?! try up to 13 at a time!!!
    anyway hello and welcome :)

4. borderer

borderer Guest

hi i am bordie and i am a witch and i turned her indoors to stone:rolleyes::)

5. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

6. purrlover

purrlover PetForums Senior

hi ya :p your post made me laugh !!
    welcome to pf , hope to hear more about your 5 kitties soon...:D
    julie

7. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum, sorry about your addiction. You do know there is no cure don't you?

8. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome :D

9. animallover111

Hi and welcome,have fun :)

10. catbasket

Thanks for the welcome folks!

@ ~Tete - 13 cats? Please don't go giving Mrs CB ideas ... a few minutes ago she was moaning our lack of a ginger cat :D

@ borderer - a witch, eh? I shall don my cloak of invisibility and escape your witchy ways ... [cackles]

@ purrlover - just sorting through the thousands of photos and will be introducing everyone properly soon.

@ thedogsmother - we've been to some of the best anti-cat-brainwashing experts in the country and it seems you're right - no cure, there never has been and there never will be. Just got to grin and bear it.

11. ~Tete

~Tete PetForums Member

Ahh well we dont own them all, only 5 are ours!! but we do foster and allot of kitties at a time!!

12. catbasket

How do your 5 cope with having foster kittens around? Not sure I'd be able to foster - I'd get too attached to them to be able to let them go to a new home :eek:

13. animallover111

We have just started fostering dogs letting the first two go was really hard but now we see them settled in their new home its fab.I would recommend fostering any animals to everyone is very rewarding,we have two new fosters plus our own three dogs so it a bit mad here at the mo :) :)

14. catbasket

Thanks for that, I'll have to think about it ...

15. ~Tete

~Tete PetForums Member

our cats got used to others coming and going, its a wonderful feeling when your cats go to a forever home, it makes me smile, im like a halfway house - they arent complete here - their new forever homes complete them :)

16. catbasket

Hey! Stop ganging up on me, I'm very weak-willed and easily persuaded :D

17. ~Tete

~Tete PetForums Member

lol then be a fosterer - join us - we have kittens :)

18. animallover111

go on you know you want to.......:D :D :D :D :D

19. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

Hiya and welcome :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice