Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Myxomatosis

Discussion in 'Wildlife Chat' started by Dally Banjo, May 25, 2010.

1. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Is there any organisation that would do anything for some poor bunnys I pased today on a grass verge that were so obviously suffering would the rspca do anything :(

2. rona

rona Guest

Don't think there is :(
    Just hope some kind soul comes along and puts them out of their misery

3. Dally Banjo

I know :( when I was a kid the farmer up the road just went round shooting them so they would'nt suffer any longer it was terrible & Im sure an old fella we see on the splash & dash walk said the council or some powers that be have done it deliberately to get rid :mad: why cant they just do it quickly if thats the case sorry for the rant just so annoying seeing baby bunnies in such a state & if anyone did go out to pop them off they would probably end up in court for cruelty :rolleyes: :frown: think I'l nip & see the local rspca lady tomorrow just in case they can help.

4. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

That's early. It's more often an issue in late summer/autumn.
    I guess the unseasonal hot weather has encouraged the rabbit fleas and biting insects to breed... I would have hoped the bad winter might have killed them off :(
    It's not going to be a good year for buns if it's taking a toll this early.... usually by the time it strikes the babies of the year are much older - some die, some don't get it, and the rest get immunity.

5. Dally Banjo

I did'nt realise that thanks feel a bit better thinking its not the local council trying to protect there litter infested flower beds :rolleyes:

At least the baby buns at our alotments are healthy :rolleyes: :D

6. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

No less heartbreaking to see though. I saw a wild bun yesterday at a distance looking a bit 'off' and I wondered about myxy, but thought not, as it seemed too early. I guess it could have been. The unusually hard winter has delayed all the plant growth by 2+ weeks, which may well have meant the wild buns struggled to find food for a while, and some have under-par immune systems as a result.

When there are no flying biting insects around, myxy is carried mainly by rabbit fleas, but the female flea can't reproduce until she bites a pregnant rabbit. The female rabbits would have started mating when the days got longer, but if it was colder than normal and there was less food, they may have spent longer underground, giving the fleas more chance to spread.

The foxes and buzzards will do well out of it though; they will have had a hard winter too.

7. Dally Banjo

Just so sad such little babys & right next to a busy road I think if they are there tomorro I'l go back with a cat carrier & pop them to the vets they should be easy to catch as eyes very swolen & just sitting there even with me huffing & puffing behind Banjo :rolleyes: I know the rest of the food chain have to eat to but........... :sad:

8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

9. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I don't know why but I (so far) haven't seen any with obvious signs around where I live & there are hundreds.
    The ones on my allotment are the lucky ones - they've had all my spring cabbges & are trying to start on the lettuces!!! My own fault really as I didn't cover some of them properly.

10. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

The bunnies in our part of Devon seem healthy, but myxi does rear up occassionally. We see more dead from cars, usually the babies, in fact Daughter ran over one recently, she did swerve to avoid it, but the stupid bunny ran the wrong way.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice