Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Myxomatosis & VHD Vaccinations

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by SammyJo, Oct 23, 2012.

1. SammyJo

SammyJo PetForums VIP

Hi All,

I have two rabbits (rescued from my local animal shelter).

1 is a 3 month old male lionhead.

The other is a dwarf lop female but has no background information but they said she looks approx 2 years old.

I would like to get them both vaccinated.

The vets receptionist told me there is a choice of just the Myxomatosis vaccination or both Myxomatosis and VHD combined.

I would love to hear your thoughts on which one I should go for?

Thanks in advance

:)

2. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

Have you made sure the shelter havnt vaccinated already, they usually do?

They need vaccinating against both myxi and vhd. They both come singley or as you say, the new combi. If you have them singley you will need to have the vhd 2 weeks after the myxi and vhd once a year and myxi every 6 months. The combi is one trip, once a year.
    There is still a debate on the effectiveness of the vhd part of the combi although my vet assures me the company have sorted that, the myxi part is supposed to be more effective as its a live vaccine.
    All of mine have just had the combi, as are alot now.

3. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

I'm still on the singles because I am yet to be convinced of the effectiveness and as I have immune compromised rabbits here I'm not one to use them as test subjects :eek:

It is down to personal choice really :)

If you go for the single VHD vaccine tho make sure you use Lapinject because Cylap can cause severe reactions in some rabbits.

4. SammyJo

SammyJo PetForums VIP

Fantastic, thanks both, I will pop them along to the vets after work one night this week :001_wub:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice