Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Mystery snail?!

Discussion in 'Coldwater Aquarium Advice' started by Freckles007, May 16, 2019.

1. Freckles007

Freckles007 PetForums Newbie

so I got a 2 fish a few weeks ago and bought some pondweed (I think it’s pondweed). About a week later I discovered a little snail on the side of my tank which I think came from the pondweed. 2 days ago I discovered another one and it’s bigger but the same shell pattern. Anyway can anyone recognise this snail? As they might not even be cold water snails

Attached Files:

2. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

They're bladder snails. They're the most common "hitchhikers" on a plant. They do just fine in coldwater, won't harm the fish or plants in any way, will help eat algae, and are a good indication of whether you're overfeeding (a population explosion means you're feeding too much!)

3. Freckles007

Freckles007 PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much, I have also been seeing eggs around my tank, do you know if these snails will multiply?

4. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Yes they will multiply very quickly in the right conditions, i.e. if there's lots of uneaten food fragments lying around for them to feed on. If they're breeding like crazy, you're feeding too much, so reduce the frequency and/or amount of feeds.

If you have an abundance of snails and need to get rid of some, there are a couple of methods. One is to put in a piece of cucumber weighted down with a teaspoon etc, leave it overnight, and in the morning it will be covered in snails, which you can then remove. Another is to purchase an "assassin snail" - these will hunt and eat bladder snails, and they won't breed themselves if you only have one (unlike bladder snails which only need one to breed!).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice