Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Mysterious vomiting in older cat

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by stevend, Nov 20, 2012.

1. stevend

stevend PetForums Newbie

Hello,

My 15-year-old cat has always been very robust and healthy. About 4 months ago she virtually stopped eating the dry food that was her sole diet for many years, only licking at the liquid after we started added some warm water to try and get her to eat, although she was clearly hungry all the time. She also began vomiting every 24-48 hours and stopped washing herself (causing mats in her fur). When we tried switching her gradually to a "chunks & gravy" style soft food, she was not interested. After her weight dropped from 10 to 7 lbs., we took her to the vet about 3 weeks ago. Her blood profile revealed an extraordinarily high white blood cell count, which the vet told us usually indicated infection. A physical exam was otherwise entirely normal. He switched her to a watery, high-nutrient soft food for recuperating cats and prescribed an antibiotic (amoxil) -- usually he prescribes 1 bottle but he told us to go through 2 full bottles in her case to be safe. Her appetite returned immediately after switching to the soft food, but she continues to vomit every 24-48 hours. The vomit is always clear or watery with food but now recently often also has 1 or 2 specks of what looks like bloody phlegm. I called the vet today about the continued vomiting and he said to stop the antibiotic (after getting through about 1.5 bottles of the 2) in case it is causing problems. Could the bloody specks in the vomit just be from all the stress the vomiting is causing her gastrointestinal system? Why is she still vomiting now that she has been eating normally for several weeks? Through all of this she still goes up and down the stairs 8-10 times a day for food, cat box, etc. without problem but this must be getting to be a burden on her. Thanks very much for any suggestions. - Steven

2. Tao2

Tao2 PetForums VIP

Just a thought, did vet check teeth? When my elderly cat lost appetite for dry food it was because of dental disease. Later he start to vomit as well, becuase he wasn't chewing his food properly (having had most of his teeth taken out)

3. stevend

stevend PetForums Newbie

Hi there. Yes, the vet thought she had a little bit of bad breath (which I do not notice) but said her teeth were in excellent condition even for a younger cat. :) Thanks very much for replying all the same. - SD

4. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Steve-it's not entirely clear from your post but are you saying she ate little or nothing for about three months? The only way to be sure about the vomit is to show it to the vet ( it may well be nothing to worry about, though I would ask why he thinks there's a connection with the antibiotics in any case ) but I'm wondering if she's developed some stomach ulcers owing to former inappetence as this would cause increased stomach acid - to empty stomach.

5. stevend

stevend PetForums Newbie

Hello - thank you very much for this, I will ask the vet about ulcers. Usually the specks of "phlegm" are small but one of them was almost as large as a small coin and I saved it just in case.

6. NexivRed

NexivRed Guest

Can cats get any type of acid reflux?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice