Mysterious Possible Corpse Found in my Garden!!!

Discussion in 'Lizards' started by LapisOre, May 6, 2017.

1. LapisOre

LapisOre Invertebrate Enthusiast, Mantis Master

Well, as the title says my mom found a small mysterious corpse (might not be a dead animal, maybe it's just a ball of slug slime, maybe from slugs mating or something) in our garden. It's either a ball of slug slime, a dead slug, or the remains of my pet lizard named Lizzy I lost last summer. Here's the full story about Lizzy: 5 or 6 years ago we were camping and we found this northern alligator lizard that we caught. Back then, we didn't know much about lizards so when winter came we stuck him outside thinking he would hibernated and survive outside in his tank. We were wrong, because we almost killed him putting him outside and he used to be REALLY fast, and once we did that to him, he slowed down and never was that fast again. Sad story :(. Ok, well over the years he got a tiny bit faster every year because I was gaining more knowledge on his care. But that wasn't all, he lost most of his toes and he got metabolic bone disease (MBD). Once I learned how to prevent this disease, and maybe reverse it, I lost him in our yard and we never saw him again. He was still slower than normal and still had problems, he couldn't survive in the wild and he probably didn't know how to hibernate. After winter passed and spring came, he probably died. Well, my mom either found some remains or slime of a slug or remains of Lizzy. I included pictures of the stuff and there is what might be a bone leading me to think it's Lizzy. Please answer and tell me if this is slug or my beloved lizard. It smells like a dead slug so maybe it's slug but idk what the bone-like thing is. The "bone" is very flat. Please help me and tell me what this is, if you have seen a dead lizard or reptile recently, maybe you know what their innards look like. Btw it's quite decomposed that's why I can't tell what it is. It also what might be some skin attached, but idk if it's slug or lizard skin and it would be too rotten to have any scales and I didn't see any bones or other parts nearby, but mom found it by a hole in a small dead tree trunk. Thanks anyways! :D

Attached Files:

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I can't tell from the photos. It looks like a pile of cat sick to be honest.

You could try washing away the slimey stuff and look for bones. Bones will take much longer to decay.

Here is a picture which shows a typical lizard skeleton. Whilst the limb bones are very fragile and easily broken, the pelvis (ileum) and skull may survive longer.

843132659.jpg

3. LapisOre

The white thing might be a tail vertebra or a piece of the pelvis, but I used some sticks to examine it, no more bones and no scales. To me it looks like a dead slug or slug slime but idk. It also smells like dead molluscs so maybe it's just a slug. And thanks for the picture of the lizard skeleton :)

4. LapisOre

And another reason maybe it's not Lizzy is because I don't think lizard meat looks and smells like that.

5. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I suspect it is dead mollusc then :)

6. Sarah Middleton

Sarah Middleton PetForums Newbie

Hiya can anyone help me with a similar problem... me and my partner have just found the remains of an animal our loft, the bone structure looks like a lizard as it has a tail and 4 legs but it's surrounded by feathers leaving us both confused!?
    Anyone have any ideas of what it could be!?
    I've attached an image which may help!?

Thanks

Attached Files:

7. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Looks mammalian. Are you sure those are feathers not clumps of fur ?

Which country are you in ?
    Have you got a side view of the skull and what is the approx. length of the animal ?

The skull and teeth will be diagnostic.

PS I used to collect skeletons as a kid so I would be very happy with this find :)

8. LapisOre

Looks like a mammal. If you show us the side of the skull we could tell whether it's a mammal or reptile

9. LapisOre

And are those worms around the corpse?

10. LapisOre

The "feathers", even if they were fur, look like too much fur for something that small.

11. LapisOre

It looks like a mammal but that tail if very long so idk.

12. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I reckon that's a squirrel skeleton.

kittih likes this.
  13. LapisOre

MilleD is right! I looked at images of squirrel skeletons, and it looks just like it. Idk why there is no meat on it, it must be old. The "feathers" are the tail fluffs

14. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

15. LapisOre

I knew what the larvae were doing I'm just curious what kind they are. They almost look like superworms.

16. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

They are beetle larvae, possibly burying beetle larvae order silphidae though can't quite tell as picture quality is fuzzy when zoomed in.

As I don't know what country the poster is from they may be another order of beetles but they will likely be whatever her country has as carrion beetles.

17. Sarah Middleton

Sarah Middleton PetForums Newbie

Hi all thanks for all your help! We have now disposed of the remains. But after looking up squirrel remains I'm convinced this is what it is and thinking about it now that could very well have been cut not feathers lol

Thanks again!!

kittih likes this.