Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Mylo seems to want an outdoor life.. what to do?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Sour_puss, May 1, 2011.

1. Sour_puss

Sour_puss PetForums Junior

Hi everyone...

I havent posted for a while as Mylo has been getting along fine and I havent needed any advice, but now I have a small issue so I thought I would pick your brains.:D

Mylo is 10 months old now. His jabs are up to date and he has been neutered. Some of you may know that I bought a cat jacket harness thing for him to use in the garden during the summer. He loves being outside and has no problems wearing the jacket. However he cries to go outside so much that I had to put a washing line along the width of the garden, from fence to fence, and attach the lead to it he can wander round the garden as much as he wants. The garden leads to double doors wear all his stuff is and he's not shut out or left alone outside. Now he tries to climb the walls and fences while wearing the jacket, which is a suicide mission!
    Just now he was cry-meowing to go out again and pawing at the garden doors. I really wanted to keep him as an indoor cat because I live in London and the roads here are busy and also we have foxes around but if he is so desperate to be outside, should I let him?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.:)

2. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Personally, no.

Cats tend to not like closed doors. Mine moan at the door to one of my rooms that I keep shut.

I dont believe that he is thinking 'outside is past this door I want to go outside and run about' He is probably thinking ;how dare they shut a door on me, i want through!'

Are you able to cat proof your garden?

3. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

It's a decision that you'll need to make yourself? I presume he's neutered?

Tigger is 13 years old this year and has full access to the neighbourhood. He doesn't wander very far as he's a bit of a scaredy cat (pardon the pun).

His nephews, Grecian and Sox, also had full access to the neighbourhood. Both were lost to the roads. Grecian at 2 and Sox at 10.

I wouldn't go back in time and keep them in though. The lives they led were happy lives.

Be aware though that I am in an area with relatively low traffic congestion. I'd imagine that being in an area such as yours, I'd probably be reporting that Tigger had died too.

Just being honest.

4. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

I would build a cat run or catproof the garden

your reasons for wanting in him to stay indoors have not changed, there are still foxes, other cats, cars etc etc

5. Sour_puss

Sour_puss PetForums Junior

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think I agree with all of you. I check out cat proofing ideas on the web now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice