Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My Youngster .... HELP

Discussion in 'Horse Riding and Training' started by Gert_89, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Gert_89

Gert_89 PetForums Junior

Hi i currently own a 1yr4month trational cob.
    Hes good as gold i can mess with him as much as i want (brushing, picking out feet etc)
    He goes out on the road once a week and is fine with cars, bikes, motor cycles, other horses, sheep, trucks horse boxes, buses etc.
    He is fine to load/travel, with farrier, to catch, in a stable.
    I now really need to know if i am doing enough with him?
    Does anyone know when i need to try a bit ?
    Or what i should be doing/ should have been done at this age?
    He is my first youngster and dont want to ruin him, he will be profesionally broke when he is ready (3/4 i think?) but in the mean time WHAT DO I DO?

The pic was a month or so ago but he has grown LOADS :) !!!!
    Thanks Kirsty xxx

Attached Files:

2. chrissylee

chrissylee PetForums Newbie

Hi, my name is Christine. I've only broken a few horses but ride everyday and have worked for a few olympic eventers and showjumpers. i have found they are easiest to break in when the owner has done EVERYTHING with them.

So my suggestion would be teach him to lunge, only gently because you don't want him straining himself at this young age. get him used to voice commands and getting him used to a whip. obviously you don't want him so used to voice and whip that he ignores it but let him see that it's there and it has a purpose but that its not a nasty purpose. i would also put a saddle just on him and do the girth up. Walk him with it on. Thats all though, you don't want to be getting on him and you dont want to be doing to much to early. You'll be able to tell if he can cope with it.

I would also put him out with friends for a little while let him be a horse if you've got him in a stable. Make sure you can rug him up and that will be easier on the breaker when the time comes. Try to teach him to come to you in the field as well. The less time he needs to spend at the breaker the better.

It sounds like you've done a fine job with him already! Keep up the good job!
    The Horse Stables - Home

3. Gert_89

Gert_89 PetForums Junior

My friend breaks in youngsters, eventhough i want a proffesional to break him in, i think im going to ask her to help me to teach him to lunge. Is once a week too much?
    Hes out in the field with a 18hh lol!! The love each other. First he was in with a mare, then two geldings and a stallion and now with 'The Gaffa' the 18hh.
    He comes to call (most of the time) and he has worn a rug in the winter. Hes fine in the stable overnight once a week. Thanks for replying :) Kirsty x

4. Cascara

Cascara PetForums Member

I personally woudn't suggest lunging at all, it is far to damaging to young tendons. If you have to then use the largest possible circle very very gradual or lunge with double reins in walk on straight edges then turn so that no pressure is put on the young legs, they shouldn't be bandaged either so the risk of injury is very great. Infact I would instead long rein from behind with someone leading him.

5. Gert_89

Gert_89 PetForums Junior

Ok so when do you reckon it is ok to start lunging? Also apart from long reining what should i be doing with him at this age? (1yr 4m) Thanks.

6. Cascara

Cascara PetForums Member

With mine I do lots of things, we go for walks and we play with sacks and cones and coats and blankets, rubbing them down with them, laying them over their back. All very gradual and gently so that they do not get scared, in fact just everything so that they get used to life round the yard. Water and streams too, we have a lovely shallow stream that we walk them through in the summer and splash their legs. Make it firm but fun :) Best to do in short bursts then let them chill out for a while then repeat, We also bring the farm tractors and large machinery in so that they can sniff it and watch it work, same with the horsebox and trailors. Noises too, we tape wierd noises and play them gradually getting louder. I don't start any real work with mne till they are at least 2 depending on their attitude, build and maturity.
    You are the best judge :)

7. kelseye

kelseye Banned

ive broke untold amount of horse in and i would start by getting you horse used to the bridle but only use the bit take all other straps of .nose band brow band ect.put a head collar over the top and walk round or leave in a stable for about 20 mins a day just so he gets used to the bit.also when you brushed your horse stand there and practice putting numnah on and off back walking round afew hours a day the work will pay of.
    have you got a playfull bit ?
    hope this helps:)

8. Gert_89

Gert_89 PetForums Junior

No. My friend suggested this to me today so what is the best bit/s to be used? thanks x

9. kelseye

kelseye Banned

its called a Loose Ring Mouthing Bit you should find them in an horse shop...£13.55 around that price they cost..

10. Cascara

Cascara PetForums Member

One thing to remember is the young age of this horse. His teeth are still growing, and changing constantly so any bit will need to be measured very carefully and changed frequently as his mouth changes. Personally I think he is far too young for a bit, but it's up to you, just keep checking the size, width and height etc, make sure his tongue has enough room and no pinches as it won't sit properly on the bars just yet if you do get one, or you may damage his mouth and put him off bits for life.

11. Gert_89

Gert_89 PetForums Junior

hi again. my friend suggsted just putting his lead rope in his mouth occasionally, what do u reackon to that? thanks.

12. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

Not ideal !!

13. Cascara

Cascara PetForums Member

No, using a lead rope isn't ideal and can confuse him and may even may him chew lead ropes in the future. Think of you horse like a child, a young baby that is exploring the world. He is facing a future of being ridden and having bits in his mouth so why not start him off the best way possible, gently, kindly and very slowly. No over large bits, no cold metal, softness is key and he will learn to accept the bit as if it was a normal part of everyday life.

Putting a lead rope through the mouth is harsh and should never be used except in an emergency to prevent danger or an accident. It is a very old method used on stallions and wild horses etc and many have had their jaws broken and lips cut and torn.

Don't rush, you have ages yet, enjoy the baby years. Mouthing doesn't need to start for years.

Do you have a friendly instructor or person that is BHS trained and that can help you in person?

14. Gert_89

Gert_89 PetForums Junior

Thanks for the detailed reply.

15. Gert_89

Gert_89 PetForums Junior

Thank you very much for explaining all this to me, youve been very helpful. I know just the person to ask. x

16. Cascara

Cascara PetForums Member

Hiyas, We are all still here for you too :) But sometimes seeing you and the horse is needed. I am sure you will do a fantastic job. Keep us posted please :)

Take Care

Cassie x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice