Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

my young rex is drinking alot of water

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by amber bamber, Aug 12, 2009.

1. amber bamber

amber bamber PetForums Newbie

my 3 month old standard rex buck appears to be drinking rather alot of water just lately. today he nearly drank a whole bottle of water. i know its been very humid today but none of my other rabbits are drinking as much. also he seems to be doing alot of sleeping aswell. does anyone have any ideas. should a vet see him. or do you think i'm worrying about nothing.:(

2. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

I would keep an eye on him tomorrow, see if he does the same, then decide on vets or not. Is he ok in himself? Eating ok, running about (when he is not sleeping :p) poo's normal? Is he eating alot of pellets or hay the last couple of days, that could be making him thirsty? I think vets can stress them up so before taking him I would keep an eye on him, if he drinks alot overnight or early tomorrow, I would proberly take him to be checked over. How old is he? And have you got pictures? :p

*Heidi*

3. BeatrixPotter

BeatrixPotter PetForums Member

I havent posted here for ages but I have to comment on this.

My bun Mopsy had this problem. She would drink loads and wee loads. Eventually her bum was soaking wet with urine all the time.:( I took her to the vets loads of times about it and she had alsorts of tests to see what was going on. Eventually she was diagnosed with diabetes insipidus and we were given medicine for her in the form of eye drops.

She got increasingly poorly and eventually she went to the bridge in her sleep about a month ago.:(:(

Please, please get your bun checked out, especially if he is weeing a lot too.
    Diabetes insipidus means that the bun cannot concentrate its urine and looses water all the time meaning that they have to drink more to make up for it. Towards the end of her life Mopsy was drinking 2 litres a day and she was only 6 months old.

Please let me know how you get on.

4. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

diabeties in people can make them drink like this too, are u sure his bottles not leaking at all?

5. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

I'd get him checked out just in case but I've notice my rabbits are drinking a lot recently but I put that down to me changing Lotties diet to mainly hay and not giving her much veg

6. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

yea Miffy defiantly drinks more if she has to go without veggies

7. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

amber, just wondered if u'd had any luck with this one?

8. xpalaboyx

xpalaboyx PetForums VIP

your rabbits? maybe it's just the heat of the weather... but just to be sure have them checked up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice