Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My young cat's disappeared :-((

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by SallyJ, May 9, 2010.

1. SallyJ

SallyJ PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone - I registered as I really need to share... my young female cat disappeared last night. I'm so worried, as she is such a needy home cat - very friendly, but also timid, and doesn't venture far from the back door!

I'm really distressed about it..... I've done posters, which I'll drop and stick up tomorrow, and will call the vets... can anyone offer any other advice? She's less than a year old. Her brother has always been the more adventurous - and he's showing signs of trying to find her indoors, and is acting out of character... She's not squished on the road - she is microchipped, but no collar

Any words of advice would be gratefully received

Sally

2. jen24

jen24 Banned

i probably cant help too mjc but my cat vanished a few days ago and came back on the 3rd day, i was really worried but she came back, cats are clever things. im sure she'll be fine. and i hope she comes back soon.

3. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Is she spayed?
    What other cats live around your area/garden?

4. SallyJ

SallyJ PetForums Newbie

yes she's spayed - and yes there are a couple of other big scary toms that come into the garden. Also foxes, which I'm a big worried about... Am in London too, so it's pretty built up (although don't live inner city...)

Jen, I'm glad your cat returned. I don't feel very positive about mine reappearing, as it's so out of character.. :-(

5. jen24

jen24 Banned

putting posters up is a good idea and phoning your vet.

i hope she comes back. even if it is out of character, im sure she'll be street wise enough to get home safe.

6. SallyJ

SallyJ PetForums Newbie

I hope so Jen - I'm so upset, I was very attached to her... My 10 year old daughter is coping better..!

7. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

youve probably already done it but go round to all your neighbours and ask them to check gardens, sheds bins and garages. My cousins cat was missing for days and it turned out she had been in the next door neighbours shed, I think she had found a way in and couldn't get out again. She was fine though!
    Really hope you find your girl safe and sound xx

8. SallyJ

SallyJ PetForums Newbie

Thanks Zayna. I'll knock on some doors tomorrow - and post some leaflets too. Fingers crossed x

9. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

Good luck and keep us posted :) x

10. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

Spread some of her used litter in your garden. if none of that then contents of dustbag from your hoover. Cats have much better sense of smell than we do.

Go looking and calling late at night when quiet around your neighbourhood. Gently call her.

look on your microchip's website; do what they advise - they will have hints and also a lost and found database - they may alert vets and readers of chips within a 30 mile radius of your postcode.

Go on other forums and post that she is missing.

My female (neutered) went missing for 2 days. I postered extensively and had sightings in a local wooded area. Son and I wandred around that wooded area. No evidence but because we left scent marks I reckon that helped her home. People have advocated leaving a trail of hoover dust as well.

#10 Janee, May 10, 2010
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
  11. SallyJ

SallyJ PetForums Newbie

Thanks Janee - that all sounds like good advice, and will remember for next time! The good news is we were reunited this evening. Apparently she's been camping out, frightened in a garden down the road - am not sure what happened, but she seems ok. The owner took the trouble of borrowing a cat carrier, and got on the bus with daughter, baby and Beans to take her to a vet. (I will be visiting her tomorrow with suitable gift - what a great person). Vet gave her a scan - and bingo, reunited! Micro chips are ace! I'm very happy. Thanks to everyone who replied to post with heart felt words and advice. I'll definitely keep checking on. Thanks everyone! Sally x

12. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

Phew, that's a relief that she's returned. That was very kind of the person to go to that trouble to find the owner :)

Let's hope she's more careful and confident next time ;) x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice