Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My word, Grau stinks!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by lucylocket35, Mar 29, 2011.

1. lucylocket35

lucylocket35 PetForums Member

I had my first zooplus delivery yesterday, which included some Grau. i gave Artie some this morning. My god, its a smelly food! I had to deal with it at arms length, so my nose was as far from it as possible! He seemed to like it though. He is currently licking his lips, more than I have ever seen him on other foods!

2. kunzy

kunzy Guest

it contians by-products.

just like BOZITA.

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

What exactly is your point Kunzy? Yes it contains by-products but only 25%, not 50% or 70% like Bozita.

I am beginning to wonder whether they have changed their formulation. From when we fed it years ago I remember it smelling nice - even to a vegetarian like me!

4. Sparkles87

Sparkles87 PetForums Senior

I don't think it smells any worse than other cat foods, but I've heard people other than yourself say they think it stinks. Maybe my sense of smell is sorely lacking!!

Kunzy, seeing as you've simply stated something, I was wondering if you could be a bit more constructive and suggest what would be better to feed instead?

5. honeysmummy

honeysmummy PetForums VIP

It smells ok to me...a little raw smelling at 6.30 in the morning ;)
    it doesnt have that sweet smell of crap cat food i have to admit...but thats no bad thing :)

6. Sparkles87

Sparkles87 PetForums Senior

I agree Honeysmummy :)

Scrap what I said to Kunzy, just seen on another thread that he recommends Applaws and Almo nature. Seeing as these are both complimentary foods (thanks for the education Hobbs :)) I shall stick to my Grau :)

7. honeysmummy

honeysmummy PetForums VIP

me too ;) xx

8. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

It smells fine to me i have to say, quite appealing even! cats approve also lol :) xx

9. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

I feed Grau [and some Bozita] as well. Grau smells fine to me [and I'm another veggie] and I certainly wouldn't feed almo nature or applaws as anything other than treat food

10. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

I feed Grau almost exclusively and must say some of the flavours do smell much stronger than others, and some flavours do get stronger when have spent a few hours in the fridge (in an airtight tupperware box). Most of the time, it smells like meat to me, which I see as a good thing :)

I can see how some can be a bit repulsed by the smell, but I think I've gotten used to it, to be honest :p I'm just happy in the knowledge that I am feeding my can something very good and that he loves his Grau.

Yes, and some by-product is GOOD! By-products are, I believe, are made out of "other" bits of the animal, like organs/offal. This provides the food with extra nutrients that a cat needs. At a guess, this may reduce the extra suppliments added to cat food to make it "complete". This is just a guess though.

Granted, no cat food should contain nothing but by-products, but Grau seems to have a good ratio between meat and by-product. Also, Grau (and I think Bozita too) fully declare what is in their food.

As others have said, Applaws and Almo Nature are complimentary foods. They are there to be fed as a treat or part of a complete diet. They should never be fed instead of a complete food.

Y'know, I once thought by-product is bad, but this forum has taught me a lot :D I guess "moderation is key" rings true in this context!

11. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

I agree Gem16, not that it's appealing to me (!!), Grau smells just fine and is well received by my cats. A great food in my humble opinion, and it smells far, far better than some others I could mention :)

12. kunzy

kunzy Guest

Nature's Harvest, Porta 21 etc

13. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

They would be better to feed? Why?

14. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

What does the 'etc' stand for?

15. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

I fail to see how, thanks for all the info you gave supporting your point :rolleyes::

hobbs2004 likes this.
  16. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

I don't think grau smells bad at all. Too bad it isn't too well received by my kitties! :(

17. Ren

Ren PetForums Senior

Haven't tried Grau yet. The best smelling food so far is Smilla tuna, it just smells like tuna it's great! :D

18. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

I very much agree with this!! :D

19. Jansheff

Jansheff PetForums VIP

Grau doesn't smell too bad to me. In fact my husband commented when he was feeding it the other night that he thought it smelt like M&S pate!

I don't get what's wrong with "by-products". If they're offal, heart, lungs, etc then if a cat was catching and eating its "natural diet", ie birds, mice, etc, it wouldn't exactly be spitting out the organs and only eating the fillets, would it?

20. gobubbles

gobubbles PetForums Junior

I agree Grau has a strong smell, but to me it smells good. I tried Applaws chicken for kittens and not only did I find the smell revolting, but Buffy wouldn't get anywhere near it either. Did anybody else find that too?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice