Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

my wife getting Monthed, but not by me....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by harmeetjohal, Jun 26, 2009.

1. harmeetjohal

harmeetjohal PetForums Senior

My 9 month old Leonberger has started to mouth my wife. He is not an aggressive dog at all (he surrends to jack russels in the park!) he does not bite or close his jaw but mouths my hand, legs and arms... He'll do this at home, while we're out on walks etc... I've read that this is dominant behaviour. I'm taking him to puppy training classes already but is there anything else i can do to stop this kind of behaviour?

2. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

My dog has a very large mouth and did this all the time... not phased out 100% but she's getting there with age i think... I'm suprised it's only started for you at 9 months though!! I was also subject to the mouting more than my other half, but he soon came foul to the mouthing too!

Tried many a method to get her to stop behaviours like this, but the only one i've found that always works without fail, it's a little mean, but i filled up an old washing up liquid bottle with water, and just give her a squirt when she starts playing up. I don't even need to squirt now, i just hold the bottle and she's off.

3. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

Totally agree with the water trick. My mums Leonberger did this too and now he has completely stopped doing it.

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Sometimes if someone is inconsistent with setting boundaries, dogs realise this and will exploit (for want of a better word) the situation.

To your dog this is a fun thing to do, he gets to play and gets attention for his behaviour. Its nothing to do with dominance, just his misunderstanding over what is and isnt acceptable.

What does your wife do when he mouths her? Does he mouth you aswell?

You could try giving a loud and sharp scream/yell everytime he does it. Worked well for both my dogs.

5. harmeetjohal

harmeetjohal PetForums Senior

he did start that with me but got a slap (tap on the nose)... and it stopped... may happen if he over excited, but not as big an issue....my wife just tells him no.... then 10-30sec later he starts again....
    one more thing for some reason he is scared of football/basketballs bouncing.... think its the sound... whats the best thing to do for that???

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Sounds like he needs to learn bite inhibition. This link can be useful..The Bite Stops Here

You need to choose a method, and have both of you use it. I wouldnt recommend tapping/hitting a dog, as it can make them hand shy, or even make them snap.

As for the balls, get one, and desensitise him. Get him used to being around the ball and the sounds it makes, he needs to learn its nothing to be scared of, and perhaps associate it with more positives things like treats or a fuss.

7. Summer1098

Summer1098 PetForums Senior

Also try yapping everytime he bites, the way another pup would.

8. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I think i scared the living daylights out of Alfie as a puppy. We never tried this method with Oscar, as it wasnt soemthing we had heard of, or had suggested to us. We were told to pin him etc, which just doesnt work, and actually made him worse.

When Alfie went to bite on my arm, i literally screamed at the top of my voice, he shot across the room and didnt try to mouth again until he was teething. Scared myself a bit as well, and felt slightly guilty.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice