Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My weekend... Emergency trip to the vets! (Dog is fine/happy ending)

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by MGarland, Feb 6, 2012.

1. MGarland

MGarland PetForums Member

DISCLAIMER: Long read with somewhat dry humour that some readers my find confusing. (This is not to be confused with illiterateness)

So I have a 4 and a bit month old SBT... She rocks :)

Anyway *imagine a flash back type movie thing here*

Friday morning I noticed she was not inhaling her food in the normal classless manner in which she is famous for. So I assumed she had eaten something daft and got a belly ache. So I take her for her lead walk, pop her in her crate and dash off to work...
    I get home from work later on that day and instantly pop Nova in the boot and dash off to my mums to say hi to my auntie who was visiting, I take enough food for her dinner with me and the usual dog paraphernalia. I put her dinner down for her but she does not touch it at all, I assume this is because I am feeding her in a strange environment for the first time. We hang out for a few hours and then I set off to my friends house for our fortnightly boardgames night (So rock and roll!)
    On arriving at my friends house, she goes mental in the garden with his Collie and good fun is had by all! She has a little nap around 10pm and then we head off to a house party (slightly more rock and roll)
    On arriving at the aforementioned house party I grab myself a ginger ale, I am designated driver on account of me not drinking. Nova mooches about says hello to everyone and has a generally amazing time getting lots of attention. So I take her into the garden and give her to command "go toilet" and she pees, but nothing more... I think this a little strange but assume she must have gone when she was rough-houseing with my mates Collie and that she simply does not need to poop.
    At about 1:30 we head home and go to bed.

Saturday We get up at a sensible time and I let Nova out into the garden to relieve herself after a night of well earned rest. She comes back in and I put her food down, which she does not touch. This is when I realised something must be up with her. I took a look at her gums and her nose was wet, she was as bouncy and mental as ever so I assumed she had eaten something stupid (she hunts snails) and that she had gut ache... Nothing to worry about really, I have had dogs when I was living with my parents and they did this to themselves all the time!
    We proceed with our daily routine, I take her out for her lead walk and then return home to do domestic tasks, Nova assists! (So she thinks)
    After all the cleaning is done we go to the fields and she has a jolly old time doing dog stuff. I get home and she lays straight down by the gas fine as usual as starts to snore! Mission accomplished, dog is now tired and I can watch a movie on netflix...
    Upon awakening Nova eats up her left breakfast kibbles and has a play with her toys, I think she is on the mend and let out a dramatic sigh of relief. My house mate walks in from Hockey and they have a little play etc. Nova and I then retire to my home office to play some computer games, she is more of a spectator to be honest. 11pm comes around fast and it is time for bed.

Sunday morning and Nova once again leaves her breakfast, I take one look at her and call her a wally for eating daft stuff! Now Nova and I both know that Sunday morning is stables time! So I go and pick up my cousin and we head off to tend to her horse. After said horse has been put out to play, or what ever it is horses do, we go for our post livestock desensitisation training walk. We are going along playing in the the fields when Nova squats to take a poo, I ready myself with bag in hand... Poo is too lose for me to even attempt to pick up, so I get moving again. She squats again and I think oh here comes the actual poop then, I once again ready my bag. Then comes the BLOOD I totally lost it... I instantly called my vet and drove her straight down there to get her checked out!
    Upon inspection and questioning the vet says "She is fine, just make sure to keep an eye on her and give her something light to eat" I was sent on my way with some medication and a priceless sense of reassurance everything would be OK.
    I go from the Vets to my Nans and had myself a nice roast while Nova had a nap in front of the fire.

EDITED IN: We went to the pub to watch the Rugby, she loves to be a pain in the bum! She did settle eventually though... Pub patrons don't like me telling them not to fuss her if she is excited.

We then return home to an evening of NetFlix and hugs...

And they all lived happily ever after!

The END!
    Staring (in order of appearance)
    Matt Garland
    Nova
    Auntie Claire
    James' Collie Milly
    House mate Matt
    Cousin Sian
    Unnamed Vet
    My Nan

A special thanks to
    Board games friends
    Party guests
    Sians Horse

This was meant for entertainment value and a bit of venting!

If there are any spelling or grammatical errors I am sorry, I wrote it in one hit on the fly.

#1 MGarland, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I enjoyed reading that. Very well written.

Glad she was ok. Dogs can pass blood if they are straining, and if she had not been eating and had a bit of a sore tummy it is not necessarily a problem.
    I had one that periodically passed a huuuuuge blood stained pile of liquid poo, looked really unwell for a few hours then recovered totally. Never went to the vet with it so no idea what the problem was.

3. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

Very entertaining post and glad to read Nova is okay. :D

4. rottiemum

rottiemum PetForums VIP

:D Well written! Glad she's ok! :D

As a side note, you mention she hunts snails - just be sure she doesn't eat them (or slugs - ewww...) - they can give dogs lungworm. (sorry if you knew that already, just thought it might be worth mentioning!) ;)

5. MGarland

I was not aware of this... Maybe that could be the issue? :S

6. rottiemum

rottiemum PetForums VIP

Oh, I'm glad I mentioned it then. Make sure you watch her - don't let her eat the little buggers! Lungworm can be a very bad thing - maybe something to mention to the vet if you suspect she's had one. I hope she's not a good hunter! ;)

7. MGarland

She is a SBT... They are useless!

AngelEyes92 likes this.
  8. Kc Mac

Kc Mac PetForums Senior

I must have missed your collecting Nova thread as knew you were getting an SBT but didn't realise you had her already :eek: :p

I think you have missed something from Nova's lovely weekend diary :hand: photos :confused: Where are they?!

I have to say her social life sounds like Kc's all them years ago :D Kc is almost 9yrs old now so prefers the quieter life :p

Also I think most of us with our first 'own' dog has the oh sh!t moment with a rush to emergency out of hours surgery ;) Kc particularly liked to see her vet on a bank holiday :eek: :rolleyes:

9. MGarland

I did do an Introducing Nova thread... I don't really take photos because I am with her all day, when I am not with her she is the last thing I want to look at!!

10. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

Very well writen, i'm glad she's ok :D
    If she is a slug/snail eater make sure you use the spot on Advantage multi i think it is as it covers for lungworm which they can get from eating them. Ask at the vet's as i don't think you can buy in online without a prescription.

11. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

Great post :D enjoyed reading that and I so love your rock and roll board game nights... because I now know Im not the only one!

Really glad to hear Nova is OK and just keeping you on your toes :p

12. MGarland

Thanks... I enjoy keeping it real! I am 21 though... Should be out nearly killing myself with drugs and alcohol... But that stuff is lame! Risk on the other hand, that is a party :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP9pnSXhibw

#12 MGarland, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice