Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My vet suggested Lilli be pts...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by wiley80, May 3, 2011.

1. wiley80

wiley80 Guest

Well i had our vet come out today to see Lilli as i couldnt get her to the surgery with the agression she has.
    After biting us both several times she was sedated so that the vet could check her over and give her a mismate jab...he said this is the worst agression case he has come across in years and suggested it might be fairer to put her to sleep,she is obviously distressed and a very unhappy little girl but i can just bring myself to put a otherwise healthy dog to sleep :eek:
    She is extremely bad and scares us all,but what are the chances of Lilli becoming less agressive with time???
    Any advice would be welcome :(

2. JayLib

JayLib PetForums Member

Hi, can't offer any advice I'm afraid but didn't want to read and run!

So sorry you are facing this dilemma - can't begin to imagine how difficult it would be to have to think about such a decision.... Thoughts are with you!

3. trixiemixy

trixiemixy Guest

How long have you had her??

Trixie went through a bout last year of trying to bite EVERYONE!! Now she love's people, I think it's a case of desensitization. I have worked really hard with Trixie in the last year and she is improving slowly.

It has taken me a while to realize that it's going to take a lot of time and patience.

Me personally would work a little harder and see how things go :D

Lots of luck :)
    I'm here if you want to chat :)

(Good luck to lilli)

4. paşa's mummy

paşa's mummy PetForums Member

oh hun. i cant offer any advice but i hope someone can...

5. wiley80

wiley80 Guest

I've only had her 5 days..we rescued her last week in a right state and weren't ment to be keeping her but we are having problems finding her a place in rescue at the moment as she is so agressive...i've ended up with 3 stitches in my face and bites allover me,everyone that dare go near her gets attacked.
    At the moment she is stuck in the laundry room on her own and it breaks my heart :(

6. trixiemixy

trixiemixy Guest

Thats not good :(.

Where abouts do you live??

I would get her fitted for a muzzle and take it from there. I'm sure she is just stressed and scared and unsure, but I understand that you can't risk getting bitten.

Coax her with treats (cheese etc....) and don't introduce her to other people till she is fine with you!! I'm sure things will improve with time :).

PM me if you want to :)

7. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

I wonder if this is the real reason why they wanted rid of her :(

Did you speak more to the boy like I suggested on your other thread to get some more info on her?

8. wiley80

wiley80 Guest

I live in Derbyshire...and yes i've tried to coax her with treats but evertime i go anywhere near the baby gate she goes off like a tasmanian devil so i end up throwing them into her and leaving her to it (because im a scardy cat)...i'm really concerned that being on her own so much in the laundry room will make the problem even worse :(

9. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

i was going to suggest a muzzle too. Also try throwing her bits of food so she starts seeing you more as the food bin than a threat(don't have any food down when doing this, just throw bits in for her). You could always keep a light lead on her so she's easier to move as well which would make taking her out for the loo much easier.

Apart from that i would just keep her in the laundry room with the babygate, make sure nobody goes near her and sets her off so she can see that nobody is interested in stressing her. Does she have a covered crate? If she had somewhere to retreat when she felt really stressed and no-one went in there after her it might help. then once she's calmer and not so upset about things happening around her you could clear the room and open the baby gate, just for short periods of time so she can progress to being calm in other places.

1 person likes this.
  10. trixiemixy

trixiemixy Guest

It probably is going to make her worse poor thing :(.

Also she will be picking up on your nerves!! Why not go to the stairgate and sit by it with a treat (have a leather glove on use a grabby thing :lol:) and just wait till she calms down and comes over to you to investigate, I'm sure she would eventually :)

11. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

awww what an awful predicament for you :(

Did the original owners not mention how aggressive she was ?

Tbh if she didnt seem aggressive at the handover (and I dont remember you saying she was) id say she's just extremely scared / confused and disorientated right now
    she was pregnant so her hormones are likely to be all over the place , she is surrounded by strangers and strange smells , nowhere seems familiar to her , so no-where is safe ... im not surprised she is acting out

Its all too easy for me to say dont give up on her , which is what my heart is saying ... but in all honesty if I were in your shoes I wouldnt be able to cope and if I couldnt find a new home or rescue place , then sadly id have to take the vets advice :(

12. wiley80

wiley80 Guest

Yes i spoke to him again and he admitted she wasnt the friendliest of dogs but denies that she has ever bitten anyone,i somehow find that hard to believe :confused:
    I must admit,i have wondered whether they had sedated her when they broght her to me as she was so calm for the first 3 or 4 hours yet now she is impossible :confused:

13. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

I think her being in the laundry room is a good idea, she's been flung into a whole host of new situations so having somewhere thats unchanging will be good for her, it's her space. Just make sure she can see out into the house as being stuck in a room with nothing happening all day can't be good.

As for running away, thats possibly teaching her to snarl, therefore not only does she get treats but she's also left alone. Sit beside the babygate(maybe read a book so she's easier to ignore), ignore her and once she's quiet(will probably take a while so be prepared to wait) throw in a treat then go back to what you were doing. Try it a few times a day so she learns that being quiet gets yummy treats and then possibly try speaking to her, even if it's just saying her name.

14. PembrokeMadhouse

PembrokeMadhouse PetForums VIP

The throwing of treats, careful towards her will gradually help you to win her trust and enable you to get closer to her ... this won't be a quick fix ... and I think a muzzle is an essential requirement plus a visit to a behaviourist.

Have you tried sitting with your back to her, with the gate between you and just sitting there ...until she calms, then move a little close - always with your back to her ... until she calms ... might take hours, or even days ... and always with a treat ...

She is one scared doggy ... but you must always, always thing about your safety, that is the number one ...

Is she aggressive when she sees someone or once they get close ... does she calm down at all at any time ... (that's her line you mustn't cross) ...

C x

PS: Just saw bally bee suggesting the same thing .... it is worth a try, but it is not an overnight fix ... you have got to be in for the long haul ... perhaps also might be worth getting a large crate (so you can get into the laundry room eventually ... cover her over with a blanket at some points so that she will feel safe .... Oh so many ways to handle her, I hope it works ...

#14 PembrokeMadhouse, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011
  15. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

aww bless i rember you taking her last week what an awfull situation cant give advice i wouldnt have a clue what to suggest the bloody owners have a lot to answer for :mad:

16. trixiemixy

trixiemixy Guest

That's what I was trying to explain lol

17. how old is lilli?
    How long have you had her?
    And is this fear agression?

18. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

lol i thought so, i read the thread after i posted :D

19. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Ultimately it depends on your level of experience and circumstances. What type of dog is she and how ol?. Such behavior will be more dangerous if she is a large powerful breed than a Chihuahua obviously. Not more acceptable before anyone says anything!

Can you afford to have her assessed by a behaviourist?

20. the flintstones

the flintstones PetForums Member

Im so sorry for your troubles and it s so sad that you have to pick up the pieces of this poor dogs life.
    This is as you are aware is not going to be a 5 minute thing, she must be so damaged in her mind.
    Can you get a good dog behavourist in to have a look and give you advice.
    I think and its my opinion only, putting a muzzle on her at the mo would stress her even more.
    I wish you all the best and good luck
    Fiona

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice