Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

my unwell lil girl...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by becks01, Jul 6, 2009.

1. becks01

becks01 PetForums Member

we brought our 2nd English Bull Terrier puppy saturday and she isnt very well...saturday evening she started getting diaroherra, and now we have noticed bit of blood in it aswell now, shes 7 weeks old so she has her 1st injection this week...i have the vets tonight...she eats and drinks well but dont no wot the problem is...before she went from the breeder saturday they gave her a liquid form of worming, that was a bright pink colour...so i thought that couldnt of agreed with her...she also gets abit crusty in both of her eyes in the corners...any ideas before i go tonight???

2. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

The wormer sounds too me like it was puppy drontal..We have had a dog have an reaction to this wormer as well as another, and both times he has been alot worse than just the funny poo, he was stumblie all over the place..And he needed to go straight to the vets :)...
    But thats not to say that your dog hasnt had a reaction too it..Just maybe not as bad as i have witnessed
    Runny poo can be a number of things in pups, like change of food, stress even down to the change of water..
    Having crusty eyes can also be a number of things..
    None of us can really tell you what is up with your pup all we can do is give you a few idea to as what is up with your pup, when at the vets this evening i would ask him about it and see what he suggest!
    Good Luck

3. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

how old is your pup, should be at lest 8 weeks before leaving the breeder

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Can you not get to the vets any sooner?

I dont think id wait until this evening if it were my puppy. They go downhill so quickly.

5. becks01

becks01 PetForums Member

she is 8 weeks old this friday...

6. becks01

becks01 PetForums Member

waiting for the OH to get home...appointments at 5.10pm...

7. becks01

becks01 PetForums Member

i have heard alot about this wormer, alot of people say that their dogs have had a reaction to it...i will speak to my vet later and will let you know how i get on...

8. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

Hope it all gos well at the vets

9. lauren001

lauren001 PetForums VIP

You need to make sure your pup isn't dehydrated, if she is, then it is important you get her to the vet Asap. I know it is only now only three hours from the vet appointment but if she is very dehydrated she may not last that long.
    See
    How to Detect Dehydration In Your Puppy (or other pets) | eHow.com
    shows you how to check for dehydration.

7 weeks isn't very old and they can do downhill really fast if they are dehydrated and it is difficult sometimes to get them back

10. becks01

becks01 PetForums Member

no she isnt dehydrated, she drinks very well...she always has her bowl of water in her cage with her...

11. Luvdogs

Luvdogs PetForums VIP

I thought 7 to 8 weeks was optimal for leaving the breeder.

I hope he gets on ok at the vets, poor wee thing.

12. lauren001

lauren001 PetForums VIP

Have you done the test?
    The fact she is drinking means nothing as she may still be in a negative balance in that she may not be able to drink enough to make up for peeing and the diarrhoea, which can mean she could be dehydrated.

13. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

8 weeks is better and have had there 1st injection

14. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I hope your girl is ok.

x

15. becks01

becks01 PetForums Member

thought id let u know how we got on at the vets...the vet looked at her and done her temperture and said that was fine...he felt her tummy and couldnt see a problem with her...he did give her 'Pro-Kolin'...ive got to see how she gets on and take her back to see him when she has her 1st injection on friday...she still has the runs though and there is still blood in it...but he didnt say anything regarding this so if she still has it by friday ill ask him again...she did have a better night last night with no crying through the night...but i did have to bath her this morning cause of her poo all over her backend!:(

16. becks01

becks01 PetForums Member

bump........................

17. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Is pro-kolin all they gave? No antibiotics or anything?

Phone your vet and inform them of the blood in the feces.

Are you feeding her a bland diet? Maybe some chicken and rice until she is better, then slowly reintroduce her normal food.

Id be tempted to take her back today. Did the vet take her temp? Was it normal?

18. becks01

becks01 PetForums Member

yeah thats all they gave her...all she has is dry food at the moment untill her belly gets better, she was on tripe aswell but we have left this out untill her bellys alot better...yeah the vet took her temperature and said it was fine...yeah im gonna phone the vet again and tell them AGAIN of the blood as im not happy...

19. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Definately give your vets a ring.

Id be tempted to take her off of her dry food, this wont help with dehydration as she already has the runs, and dry food offers little in the way of moisture.

Get some chicken, either precooked, or raw and cook it yourself. And offer her small but frequent meals. Also encourage her to drink as much as she can, as she needs to replace the fluids shes losing.

20. becks01

becks01 PetForums Member

rung the vets and they said that it is nothing to worry about but if the tummy upset continues within the next 24 hrs then give them a call bk...i asked them what i should feed her and they said to continue with what im doing...they said the pro-kolin they gave me will help bind the stomach up so she should improve.

yes i was thinking about the chicken idea...might give it a go and see what happens then.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice