Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My unhappy cat peeing on the carpet.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by PennieandPerdieMummy, Mar 6, 2017.

1. PennieandPerdieMummy

PennieandPerdieMummy PetForums Junior

Urgent help needed. My 3.5 year old girl Penny has been peeing on the carpet upstairs. It's been going on for a few months now and my husband is at the end of his tether and talking about rehoming her which is breaking my heart.

I think she has got scared of my 1 year old son who has just learnt to walk. We have a cat flap and they have always happily done their business outside.

This is what I have done so far;

Taken bath panel off and put a blanket under there for her as she likes to hide under there.
    Put cat beds and cushions in a room in the house that my son is not allowed in.
    Put a litter tray in the bathroom for her ( near where she is peeing)
    Feliway
    Taken the stair gate off the top of the stairs so she has an easy escape route (I can't take it off the bottom for the safety of my son. But we have open stairs and they are small cats so just walk between the stairs and onto the sofa easily. When I get paid I've also found a stair gate that has a cat flap built in it.)
    Taken her to the vet to make sure she does not have an infection
    Ordered Zyklene
    Looking into a cat behaviorist but this is £180 - I can't really afford this but will do if it gets to that

Do you think she is genuinely unhappy? Am I being selfish by not rehousing her if she's that unhappy here? But she's my baby and I don't want her to go.

Please help xxx

2. PennieandPerdieMummy

This is my little penny xx

Attached Files:

vivien, Gwen9244, huckybuck and 2 others like this.
  3. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Ah shes sweet .:)
    It sounds like you are doing all he right things.

Is it the only place where she wees outside the litter box? Is it possible for you to take up the carpet?

4. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

She's lovely. Its such a shame for everyone when these things happen. You've really done all the things I would have suggested. One or two other tips. Make sure that you clean where she wees thoroughly with a good biological or enzyme solution, I used to use Simple Solutions when our old one used to do this. Anywhere that still smells will encourage her to go back to that place. Also, get more than one litter tray, its recommended that you should have at least one more tray that you have cats so if you have two cats, have three trays or perhaps four in this situation. Place them where its quietest and she doesn't feel threatened. Hope you can resolve this as it would be awful for you to have to rehome her.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Simple-Sol...8&qid=1488797225&sr=8-9&keywords=pet+solution

5. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I think you should be commended for all the efforts you have made so far, and are prepared to carry on making!
    My thoughts.......
    1. You can buy 450mg capsules of Zylkene labelled for dogs which work out far cheaper than the 75mg 'cat' size. I found that a higher dose of around 150mg was most effective and the larger capsules made this more affordable.
    2. Products like Cystease or Cystophan contain another calming supplement so that would be another option to try, maybe even combined with the Zylkene but please check with your vet.
    3. You can also buy calming spot on from Beaphar, or treats from the same brand. Some people recommend Pet Remedy plug in while others prefer Feliway.
    4. If she used to toilet in the garden could it be possible that there is another local cat that has scared her outside rather than just your son inside the house?
    Good Luck, keep us all posted on how things go.

6. PennieandPerdieMummy

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Whilst I was in the bathroom this morning she did a wee in the litter tray. I will look for cystease and talk to my vet.

It could be another cat outside but she still poops outside and I've not seen any new cats about but we do have a high cat population in our area so it could be that.

Imy hubby won't let me pull up the carpet! It's nice new fluffy carpet and usually they love laying out on it!!

Do you think she sounds really unhappy? Or am I right to persevere? Xxx

huckybuck likes this.
  7. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

She IS showing you that she is unhappy in some way BUT you are listening to her and trying to do all you can to resolve the issue. I think you are absolutely right to persevere and I truly hope you can resolve this issue.

8. PennieandPerdieMummy

I don't want to jinx it - but since giving Penny the Zylkene we've not had any peeing in the house!! Woo hoo!!

Shrike and Gwen9244 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice