Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My un-neutered male is intimidated

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Amy Nicholson, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Amy Nicholson

Amy Nicholson PetForums Newbie

Hi all -

I have a 10 month old boy, un-neutured, a mutt, probably part border collie and part something bigger. I live where there are lots of other male dogs that run free (in Mexico). He loves (loved?) playing with other dogs but recently is more and more vibed/intimidated. He has been attacked a couple of times, but was not hurt. I've seen other dogs recover from being attacked, but he gets shyer and shyer with male dogs (and some females) who he doesn't know or even if he does know them but they show any sign of aggression. He sits and does not join in the frolicking.

I was waiting to neuter him until he was one year. Now I am wondering, perhaps I should neuter him now. Perhaps the other dogs sense his an coming of age and are putting out domination vibes? He's probably about 30 kilos, so not small, but there are a lot of German shepherds around here, but other dogs as well that are bigger.

Any advice. Will neutering help or make it worse?

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Neutering could make him worse as it stops the brave testosterone hormone. Dogs are often more tolerant of pups than adolescents which may explain why the other dogs showed aggression. To build his confidence, he will have an invisible radius of space around him where he feels secure . Find out what that is and keep him far enough away from other dogs that he is relaxed. Reward his calm behaviour. Gradually, over weeks and months, not days, work on reducing the distance. But - be aware that if your dog has had a stressful episode the stress hormone can stay in the body for up to 48 hours so a distance he was comfortable with the day before might be too close that day. So the safe distance can change, watch his body language.

3. Amy Nicholson

Amy Nicholson PetForums Newbie

Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice