Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My trip to Devon - wolves

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Ducky, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

Thats me back from doing my course with shaun ellis in devon.

absolutely amazing!

loved every second of it. and learnt a ridiculous amount.
    i have a new philosophy when it comes to my dogs now hehe.

highly recommend.

and i got to play with wolf cubs everyday :)

2. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Lovely bloke isn't he? :D pleased you had a great time though :)

3. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

yeah, really nice. and so passionate about his subject.

4. Tapir

Tapir PetForums VIP

ooh what course was it? sounds interesting!

5. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

glad you enjoyed it hun, heard he is a lovely guy :)

6. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

Glad you had a lovely time! :)

7. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Was wondering how you had got on, thought it was soon; glad you had such a great time :).

8. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

it was a course to learn about dog behaviours, all relating to wolf behaviour, pack structure and development. really interesting. there is info on his website.

it was all the completely different from all the "standard" type of training that im used to. but it all made perfect sense in practice and ive already started it with my own dogs and im already noticing the difference.

9. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Glad you enjoyed your course.

But were are the photos of the wolves????????????

You can't tell us you spent every day playing with wolf cubs and didn't take any photos

10. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I've seen them :p :D :lol:

11. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

haha i hadnt added them coz they arent super photos unfortunately. but il put a few on for you.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

as i say not such good pics, but i can assure you the cubs were gorgeous!!

oh they were about 10weeks old btw,

12. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

I am sooooo jealous!! I love Shaun Ellis!! I keep hinting I want his book for my birthday, so you never know......:)

Love the pics, those cubs look quite a size for 10 weeks old, or is it just the angle you've taken the pics at??

I knew you could visit but I didnt know he did courses and such -

is off to find website.........:D

13. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

OMG....just looked at the site and there are places available on the 5 day course in May.
    Went and asked OH and he won't let me go:(
    OK it would mean no kitchen in the pub for a week, we would probably lose the business, he would be left on his own with my 3 teenage boys, Mia would not get a walk or fed........... I still think he is being unreasonable :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

14. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I want one I want one do you thing they would be happy to live with the 2 iggies or would they thing they are food:D:D:D

My whippet pups are 10 weeks old tomorrow and are tiny compared with those.

15. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

haha yeah they were a fair size already. and i swear they grew considerably in the 5days i was there. haha.

hope you all get a chance to go! :)

16. Rottiefan

Rottiefan PetForums VIP

I looked at his book and saw he started talking about dominance hierarchies and Alpha males etc., so I refuse to buy it! I think it's a bit silly that after the best wolf biologist in the world (Dr David Mech) has stated that the term and definition of Alpha is actually not relevant to wolf packs, Shaun Ellis goes and re-popularises it. All the talk of dominance and pack leadership is back in swing, when, IMO, the guy has gotten the wrong idea completely of hierarchies and social relationships.

17. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

he does talk about dominance, but not in the way that a lot of dog trainers do. its a very different way, in my opinion. and when you watch a pack of wolves/dogs, you do see a natural form of pack structure and social positioning.

its not for everyone, but hes given me a whole new perspective anyway. (and it wasnt for me to be the dominant leader etc, just a new way of picking up on different behaviours)

18. Rottiefan

Rottiefan PetForums VIP

Dominance, as used in animal behaviour, is used in a very miniscule number of contexts. It means the priority access to a resource. Now, that does mean that if a dog wins a bone, it is dominant. A more realistic situation would be that a dog will win a bone 20 out of 20 times by another deferring to that individual. In this relationship, we can call one dog the dominant participant and the other a subordinate. However, as soon as this interaction is over, the dominance/subordinate relationship has gone too and it may have no bearing on other behaviours.

I'd be interested to hear how he uses it. It's just that when I hear someone talking about it so much (the dominant individual does this, does that, controls this controls that etc., etc.) it's most likely that he or she is misusing the term.

Sorry, a little rant there. I just get frustrated at people when they miss out the real interesting things about behaviour when dominance is applied to everything under the sun- every aggressive behaviour, every deference by the another dog, every time a dog wins a resource etc.

19. skyblue

skyblue PetForums VIP

now i'm jealous

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice