Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My staffie is scared to come home

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Tonipascoe11, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Tonipascoe11

Tonipascoe11 PetForums Junior

Ive recently moved house, got a lovely huge garden for maisy (my staffie) to play in though all maisy wants to do is run away for freedom. ive tried hiring a dog walker which she loved, just got her out about for longer walks but that didnt stop her from running out the garden, we have sent £300 on the dog warden to get her back several times and we all got pretty fed up with this happening (nearly everyday sometimes) my partner also tried punishment when she got home, he would smack her bum and put her in her cage, never hurt her in the way of making her cry out but just so she knew she was in trouble. although the issue now was today... he ran away again for the first time in a week and somebody called me to say they had found her, when i met them they opened the car door and maisy was sat in the footwell shaking, ive never raised a hand to her ever and never thought she would be afraid of me. she totally refused to get out of the car and then after we had managed to get her out she tried to jump back in. i have been very upset about this tonight and i don know what to do to make it better. my partner no longer raises a hand to her when she gets home and she is very happy at home. she gets lots of cuddles and attention, we do treat her well and i now she loves us, i just hate seeing her so frightened of being told off. can anyone help? thanks in advance :)

2. Debbierobb109

Debbierobb109 PetForums Member

the damage has kinda already been done....the dog seen the opportunity to go out of the garden so she did....and not to annoy you, but because it was easy to do it, the dog knows no difference...and upon returning she was being physically punished for doing so.......so hit when she returned....so its natural that she would associate coming home to punishment.
    what your boyfriend done didnt teach the dog not to run away, it released HIS frustrations and made the dog scared in the process.
    do you have a fence or anything surrounding your garden?? how was she escaping?
    you need to dog proof your garden first of all then work on gaining your dogs trust again, work on a good recall too.
    :)

Fleur likes this.
  3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Totally agree with this - the dog escaping once is an accident, after that it's your fault for not securing your house and garden.
    Make sure the house is secure and then do some rewards based training to build trust again - lots of yummy treats and a favourite toy along with patience and calm attitude.

4. ouesi

ouesi Guest

How is the dog able to get out?
    If I got smacked for coming home, I sure wouldn't want to.
    Why not secure your yard and supervise the dog so that she can't escape? Seems a simple solution to me...

5. Tonipascoe11

My garden is huge! there are hedges surrounding the garden with little gaps here and there, she can also jump on the wall surrounding the front of the house as the garden goes right around the sides of the house as well. it would be absolutely impossible to fence or secure every part of the garden and even if i could get it fenced in it would cost 1000s which is money i dont have. i am also renting so i don't think the landlord would agree to me fencing around the whole property. don't judge me. i love my maisy to bits. i have looked for advice all over the internet and i am simply asking for good advice. maisy being a staffie breed makes her a difficult breed to train. shes been very destructive, attacks over dogs off the lead (now she always wears a muzzle off lead) and then she starts to run away. i feed her good food, she gets cuddles every night, plenty walks and affection. my partner has simply been fed up with her running away and even though he loves her he has tried so hard to train her, she is alot better with other dogs now and shes no longer destructive in our house, he has done a very good job training her. you would be driven mad if she escaped from you house nearly every day no matter what you did. one day she managed to push one of our windows open and escape when we were out. you tell me thats not going to annoy anyone. also i think not alot of people would not keep a dog that cost them £300 in dog warden fees.but i love her and wont give up on her like most people would. i dont see how this really is my fault at all. i have tried everything to stop her from running away, even putting her on a lead in the garden 10 metres long but she wants to escape even more. :nonod:

6. SleepyBones

SleepyBones Banned

Maybe 'he'she' is peeassssed off because you cant make your mind up if heshe is male or female.

7. Tonipascoe11

i dont see how this is my fault. my garden is absolutely massive! hedges surround the garden with a small wall at the front. the dog can go right around the sides of the house to get to the front from the back. maisy escapes over the wall or through little gaps in the hedges. we dont like to keep her in all day either, she needs fresh air and time to play outside, its really hard to have an eye on her every second especially when i have two kids to look after aswell. we are very calm with her now and my partner doesnt tell her off when she gets home for escaping. im simply asking abit of advice on how to keep her in the garden. i have tried long 10 metre lead in the garden but that makes her want to escape even more and she sulks and cries when i put her on the long lead. so that didnt work. we have tried lots of nice treats when she gets home from running away and that didnt work either.

8. Tonipascoe11

i put he once as you can see, i was typing quickly and obviously missed the s on the front. does that really matter??! dont post on here if you are not going to say anything useful.

9. Tonipascoe11

i dont see how any of this is my fault. my garden is huge. there are hedges all the way around with little gaps everywhere. if i was to fence the whole garden you are talking 1000s and i rent so i dont think the landlord would agree. she has lots of toys, she gets lots of attention and walks. the only thing i can do for her not to escape is not let her outside enless she needs a wee. thats a bit cruel dont you think?

10. Tonipascoe11

its not that easy. it may sound simple to you but it is impossible to secure the whole garden. i cant keep my eye on her all the time as i have two very young children.

11. Tonipascoe11

maisy gets lots of love and attention, my partner loves her as well. at least i haven't given up on her like most people would, she hasn't been the easiest dog to train, she has chewed up most of the house, she went through a stage of attacking other dogs and now running off and cost me £300 in dog warden fees. not alot of people would still have her. i think at least i am trying. i do look after her, she gets lots of walks and play time. shes a lucky dog compared to most. dont judge me just because we have tried to train her a different way to what some people would. we dont know what to do? what else are we supposed to do? the punishment was last resort and it hasn't worked, fair enough. thats why i am asking everyone What shall i do?

12. SleepyBones

SleepyBones Banned

I will try my best not to, it won't be easy for me but I will try!

13. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Unfortunately your only options are to either secure the garden, keep her on a leash in the garden or build a secure enclosure you can let her out into.

I've been there with an insecure garden. I also had an extremely dog aggressive dog who had a history of killing other animals. He was ONLY outside on a long line. In summer I rigged up a way of securing his line so that he could lie out and sunbathe but not go off hunting.

14. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Agree ^^^. Kilo was on lead in the garden when we had an insecure one.

Could you not build a "dog run" or fence some of the garden OP?

15. Tonipascoe11

Yes u think you are both right. I would love to be able to trust her but she not giving me much choice. She hated the lead in the garden because she kept getting tangled up around things, what would be the best thing to make a large pen with? It would need to be quite tall as she jumps really high. Thank you for the helpful responses x

16. Prowl

Prowl Guest

Won't say anything ^^:p;):D

17. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Now that I'm afraid I can't help you with as it's not something I've ever done. You can buy kennel runs but I dunno what sort of price you'd be looking at for them. Some have a wire roof on, some a proper roof, either would stop her jumping out. Perhaps have a look at what they're made out of and see if you can make one out of the same sort of stuff if you're pretty handy at DIY :)

18. Hopeattheendofthetunnel

Hopeattheendofthetunnel PetForums VIP

None of us can undo a mistake - the best thing, the most productive thing, is to learn from it, not repeat it and do better. Which is what you are trying to do.... so I don't entirely understand the tirades from others. Once we knew better, we do better.

Time as well as lots of love and patiencd from your partner can hopefully mend her shaky confidence. It would be great if he could take her on some walks, feed her
    some meals and generally has lots of positive interactions with her.

As to addressing the running off from the garden - several possibilities:

* could you fence off a section of your garden to make it escape proof?

* you could investigate invisible fencing ( not cheap, but you don't have to visually divide up the garden)

* or you could tether her to a very long line when unsupervised.

The ONLY thing I wouldn'd do is just hope that she won't run off any more. She will. YOU know where your garden boundry is, but she doesn't. If you think about it - how can she? And when she gets punished for going AWOL, all she understands that people are really cross for some reason and hit her. But she will be totally clueless as to WHY. She can't connect leaving the garden with you being furious. She truly will think you are livid for her coming home.

Good luck!

19. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I would never advise leaving a dog tethered unsupervised but for when you are in the garden with your children how about a zip line - a high line like a straight washing line with a long line clipped to it so your dog can run up and down. A friend on mine had a set up like this for her spaniel, you have to supervise and ensure the dog can't get tangled in anything or you risk strangulation however it worked well for my friend.

20. Debbierobb109

Debbierobb109 PetForums Member

not sure how big your garden is but you can make budget fences. you can get posts and galvanised wire mesh/reclaimed wood/plastic panels/aviary panels etc...maybe you could fence off a section of the garden.....its YOUR responsibility to keep your dog safe, she doesnt know that its not safe for her to go roaming so its up to you to keep her safe, if you dont enclose some of the garden then she is always going to escape. saying its not your fault is ridiculous...of course its your fault, she has escaped more thann once so you are aware of the danger, its not a one off, training a dog takes patience , if you dont make it fun for the dog to learn then she wont be interested and you will just end up going round in circles.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice