Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My Spaniel !!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Monty, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Monty

Monty PetForums Newbie

I have a four year old Springer Spaniel who when he comes up to me & I talk to him he moans with everything I say.Do dogs understand what you are saying to them ???.Sorry to put this on here but do other dog owners get the same response from their animal.If so , does anybody know what it means.

2. Fade to Grey

Fade to Grey PetForums VIP

no dogs don't understand english they understand body language and tones.

3. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

Yer as fady said..they pick up on your body language, They know when your sad and when your happy, Its strange..people say dogs have a sixsence aswell. clever things :)
    i Believe a dog knows some english to a extent, But only what they have been taught to understand tho, like when i say to my old staffy..omg look over thereeee She goes flying off across the room to look for something she don't even have a clue whats shes looking for lol, And she also knows f off and alot of other words aswell, My dogs know alot of words i say, When i tell them to move over, They move, When i tell em to get out the way when im hoovering, They go, they know alot of english Including the basic training words, Which also can be taught with signals aswell, Coz i have 2 deaf dogs and 1 can lip read beleive it or not.
    So do dogs understand what we are saying? i think not..do they understand words signals and sentances what they have been taught? yep :)

4. nici

nici PetForums Senior

my dogs talk to me , its so funny it is as if they understand every word, but if you say silly things to them in a way that sounds like fun to them they will answer you no matter what you said :D

5. bordercolliepup

bordercolliepup PetForums Senior

My dog will understand me, If I tell her to get in the kitchen she will , if I tell her its bath time she will run straight upstairs and jump straight in the bath, tell her to go peepee and she will.I've also taught her from a young age to speak , she barks thankyou please and love you mummy heehee and she always barks for her food.when asked to just like my kids bark out her manners.:)

6. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

I think dogs know words what they have been taught, Which can be loads and loads of words and little sentances.
    I speak to my dogs in a way which they do understand, If i come indoors and find my old staffy on the leather sofa, I look at her and say...ahem...And she gets of the sofa lol.
    With my deaf dog i have only got to do facial expressions and she knows..or even point to things wile pulling facial expressions and she knows what i mean :D Clever these dogs of ours :)

7. Monty

Monty PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your comments & at least I'm not going totally mad.He does understand hand signals & I think " Dogs are a mans Best Friend "

8. AJ

AJ Guest

I've found alot of dogs respond much better to commands when they are accompanied by hand signals. With my own dog he always understands he just doesnt always choose to listen.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice