Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My spaniel had a stroke

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Crosk1189, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Crosk1189

Crosk1189 PetForums Newbie

Hello all,

about a week and a half ago my 10 year old spaniel Charlie had a stroke, he was unresponsive and we had to carry him to the vet as he wouldn't walk.
    The vet told us he had gone blind which could either be a stroke or a brain tumour. We decided to wait and see how he does on fluids overnight before shelling out 2.5K for an MRI.
    It turned out it was a stroke and he regained his eyesight the following morning, and appeared to be much better.

However in the past few days we have noticed he is still not 100%, when we walked him there is a small bank in the road and as we walked down it he keeps falling over, I have noticed when he tries to get up from lying down he is on the top of his paws rather than the soles and doesn't always walk in a straight line, and just seems a bit 'drunk' is the best way I could describe it.

I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced their dog having a stroke and if they noticed any problems afterwards.

I know it's only been a few weeks so I'm not expecting him to make a full recovery, but I don't want to ignore these problems in case they are unrelated or if they lead to further problems down the line.

Any advice would be great.

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I owned a Groenendael bitch who had two strokes and recovered well from both.

She had the first when she was ten and it took her around a week to fully recover.

She was fourteen when she had the second and that was a much more serious stroke than the first. She was on her bed, unable to stand, for a week. She wouldn't eat or drink and I was syringing glucose and water into her and persuading her to eat small pieces of food.

After a week, I began taking her out onto the garden, supported by a towel around her middle, until she was able to walk unaided.

It did take her a good few weeks to fully recover, but she did, and never had another.

She was put to sleep aged 17 because of something unrelated.

3. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

My last dog had several strokes & he recovered well from them over the course of a couple of weeks, he would walk like he was drunk at times & reel about following a stroke but this improved with time. They were the cause of his death eventually but this was years later than the first one at the age of 17.

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Is there any darting of the eyes left to right or up and down? If there is then it could be something called Vestibular problems. As well as the darting eyes they may lean or fall to oneside, they may sway and have a wide based stance and the head will often tilt to one side.

The vestibular system has receptors in the inner ear and the information is processed in a part of the brain, what the vestibular system does is sense the position of the head and body in relation to gravity and movement which maintains balance and co-ordinates eye movements and movements of the head. It can be caused by a problem in the inner ear even a bad infection and/or a problem in the brain. There is also something called idiopathic vestibular syndrome which basically means unknown cause, its also known more often as Geriatric vestibular syndrome or disease because it affects older dogs, If it is the idiopathic/geriatric version then dogs do normally get better but it can take a few weeks and they can be still left with a permanent head tilt sometimes.

It can though as mentioned be caused by other underlying issues, some of which can be treated and cured some that cant.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice