Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My rescue dog won’t sleep through the night!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by LoopyLouAnd Martha, Nov 27, 2020.

1. LoopyLouAnd Martha

LoopyLouAnd Martha PetForums Newbie

Hello everybody, I was wondering if anyone had some help or advice for us? Two months ago we rescued two 2 year old female lurchers. They had come from a house with 25 dogs (and other animals), where they were neglected. They had zero training or boundaries - the hadn’t even walked on a lead! They have come on leaps and bounds and are generally doing really well, but one of the dogs refuses to sleep in her crate all the way through the night. She goes into the crate ok - she’ll even take herself there during the day to have a rest. She will settle and go to sleep and this is when we leave the living room. Usually about half an hour later the whining and crying starts. We have tried everything from ignoring her, telling her off, reassuring her. Last night the crying starting at midnight and went on until 4am. The only thing that works is one of us sleeping on a roll out bed beside the crate. We live in a small bungalow, so where ever in the house we put her crate, we can hear her cry. We did have the two dogs in one crate but they had a couple of small fights in the night (nothing serious), and I feel the crates are not big enough for two of them to be able to fully stretch out at night.

I know she doesn’t need to go to the toilet as she has ample opportunity through the day and a 15 min walk before bed time.

I don’t know if it’s a separation anxiety thing or if she is just testing us!

She is otherwise fit and well - no medical issues. We live out in the countryside, with minimal disturbances, so it’s also unlikely due to external noise.

Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom? Has any one else been in a similar situation? Help! I’m going through chronic fatigue at the moment so sleep and sleep patterns are extremely important for my health.

(NB our other rescue is a little dream and always settles in her crate)

thank you

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

It definitely sounds like anxiety, dogs just don't do things just to annoy us.

When she is crying, it is because she is alone in the dark and anxious.

Please don't ignore her, the dogs that stop crying don't do so because they suddenly realise everything is ok, they do it because they have given up hope. It is an extreme example but in trauma victims, it's the silent ones who are most damaged.

This article explains the science behind it.

http://www.simplybehaviour.com/letting-dog-cry-cause-permanent-damage/

Can you have her crate in your room? It needn't be forever. Once she is settled all night you can start moving it, just a foot at a time (and for a few nights), towards where she will eventually sleep. But don't rush that part, if she cries at all you are going too fast and need to go back a step.

3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d have her crate or bed in my room which might help her settle if it’s anxiety.

Once she’s in a good routine, you can then gradually move her to where you prefer her to sleep.

Bear in mind you might need to move both dogs temporarily if the other one stresses alone.

Or sleep near their crates and gradually move yourself away.

If shutting them behind a solid door, try a baby gate or taller dog gate as that can sometimes create anxiety and leave your door open so they can sense/hear you’re still close by.

4. LoopyLouAnd Martha

LoopyLouAnd Martha PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much for your replies, I really appreciate it! I’ve taken some of my old dog’s beds down from the attic and both our new hounds love them (must be the smell!). We’ve decided tonight that we’ll put these beds in our room and hope this helps. We can’t take their crates through to our room as we don’t have the space! We’ll keep their crates and our house doors open so they can go back to them if they wish. Fingers crossed tonight is more settled! (I have a good feeling with their reaction to the beds). Thank you

5. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Thank you and Well done for adopting these dogs .
    Good luck !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice