Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

My rabbit has pasterellla

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Lyndsay Henderson, Dec 30, 2018.


  1. Lyndsay Henderson

    Lyndsay Henderson PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2018
    Messages:
    10
    Likes Received:
    2
    Hi,

    I hope someone can give me advice since this has been a horrible past 4 months. In August I purchased a 8 week old rabbit from Jollyes pet store. A month later he started to sneeze and white discharge has appeared with aggressive sneezing, I have taken him to the vets numerous occasions anyway he's been on Baytril for 2 months and has been on nebulising treatment with F10 For 2 weeks. He has improved a little bit but I've now finished the Baytril since I just wasn't seeing any more improvement by using it, which costs £12 to buy every 2 weeks. I'm also using probiotic in his water as well as using Echinacea leafs.

    I will be seeing a rabbit vet in the new year but I'm just exhausted and hearing nothing positive about this disease.

    Can someone please tell me if anyone has experienced this?
     
  2. kimthecat

    kimthecat PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2009
    Messages:
    17,811
    Likes Received:
    22,233
    Sorry to hear this. Ive not had any experience with this.
    Its quiet in this section so Im just bumping this up in the hope someone else will see it .
     
  3. bunnygeek

    bunnygeek PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2018
    Messages:
    1,212
    Likes Received:
    813
    Poor bunbun, sadly this is really common in pet shop rabbits.

    Get a rabbit savvy vet to do a deep nasal swab and find out exactly what bacteria is causing the infection, chances are you need something different to Baytril. Non rabbit confident vets turn to Baytril as I think it’s the only one licensed for rabbits, they need to think outside the box for these infections.
     
  4. Lyndsay Henderson

    Lyndsay Henderson PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2018
    Messages:
    10
    Likes Received:
    2
    I'm waiting for an appointment to be set up since I had to get a referral from my other vet.

    I just feel like I've had no help at all. We've already done a culture swab but they just said it was infection and they had to contact another bet for advice since they have no experience in it! Which made me feel worse.

    I'm just constantly hearing bad news which is very upsetting and stressful.
     
  5. bunnygeek

    bunnygeek PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2018
    Messages:
    1,212
    Likes Received:
    813
  6. Lyndsay Henderson

    Lyndsay Henderson PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2018
    Messages:
    10
    Likes Received:
    2
    Thank you Bunnygeek.

    I have been on that website and plan to go to my local savvy vet ASAP.

    I just hope it's going to be more constructive news. He seemed like he has got a lot better but has not recovered completely.
     
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice