UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
he is still warm, so must have been in the past hour, i dont really understand. Or what to do now?
So sorry for your loss. Was he vaccinated? If so, it could have been something totally unavoidable like a heart attack. You can either take him to the vets to be cremated or bury him yourself, you don't have to make a rash decision now you will probably be in shock at the moment x

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So sorry for your loss. Was he vaccinated? If so, it could have been something totally unavoidable like a heart attack. You can either take him to the vets to be cremated or bury him yourself, you don't have to make a rash decision now you will probably be in shock at the moment x
he was fully upto date on injections.

Wondering if we should get the vet to take some tests. :(

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
I am so sorry.

We have had that happen once too.

VHD would be the first suspect, but if he had been vaccinated, it can't be that.

You could go through the autopsy process, but that is very expensive, and may not actually be conclusive (we've had that too). It is worth going through if you have other bunnies, but if I remeber, you only had the one.

Bunnies are a prey species, and because of that, they hide their illness very cleverly. He might have had a seizure, he might have choked - we had a bun choke, but were oh so lucky that we saw it happen, and were able to whizz her to the vets. She survived, but it was very touch and go. He might have had a severe fright - any foxes around?

you could look for any signs - runny nose, is the hutch as it was or disturbed, anything disturbed nearby? could bun have eaten anything odd/poisonous? Neighbour creosoting?

It may be that bun had something genetic going on. We fostered a litter of very vulnerable babies . We kept the 2 with known difficulties (hermaphrodite!, fast metabolism, mishapen head.....) and the other 3 seemed healthy and were rehomed.

One, I believe, is still healthy. One took ill, collapsed and died within a few days, and the vet had no idea what was the matter.

The other came back to us when her owner could not keep her. She was healthy one day, then the next, she just didn't seem right. The vet could not identify anything and she died within a couple of hours. An autopsy showed nothing.

Many bunnies are sadly the result of awful inbreeding, which often leaves them with hidden problems.

Your bunny was loved - hold on to that - some bunnies aren't lucky enough to have that.

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
Re what to do with the body -

- you can bury bun in the garden - that is what we usually do , and plant a rose and put a solar light as a marker.

- the vet may offer a creamation service - if not they will know who does.

- you can leave bun with vet for creamation (group cremation), or have the ashes returned to you, to put where you wish.

For now, just put bun in a box - unless I've remebered wrong, and you have a pair, in which case, let the other bun see the body - it helps them understand.

Hugs.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have just the one he had a bit of blood aroud his mouth, his head was over his food bowl and the rest was laid across the hut.

Im not sure what happened we have buried him in the garden.

Gutted is an understatement

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Have just the one he had a bit of blood aroud his mouth, his head was over his food bowl and the rest was laid across the hut.

Im not sure what happened we have buried him in the garden.

Gutted is an understatement
Did he have blood anywhere else, from his eyes or genitals? Blood on a rabbit that has died suddenly is a sign of VHD. How long ago was he vaccinated for VHD, maybe he was coming up to being due to have it done again?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did he have blood anywhere else, from his eyes or genitals? Blood on a rabbit that has died suddenly is a sign of VHD. How long ago was he vaccinated for VHD, maybe he was coming up to being due to have it done again?
8 moths ago maybe less il ask Lindsey to dig out his vaccination record when he is back, it was only around his mouth just in a corner off it

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
had he been eating plenty? could he have had teeth troubles? and cut his tongue. really sorry for your loss they are very quiet animals and hide all signs of being unwell I've recently lost my girl and its heartbreaking

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
OP you say he had blood coming out of his mouth and he died suddenly, this is a sign of VHD and I've just had a thought - would it be worth contacting the manufacturer of the vaccine to see what they say? It's a new vaccine which I'm sure has been researched for a long time but I think they should be informed of any deaths which could potentially be caused by a failure of the vaccine.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.