Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

My puppy's 1st erection!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by nataliegirl, May 12, 2015.

1. nataliegirl

nataliegirl PetForums Newbie

Hello

My baby boy has had his first erection tonight and I'm not talking about a little bit of lipstick I am talking about the full works! I have never owned a male dog before and I was hoping someone could tell me what this now means? I am looking after a friends dog next week and she has not been done. Does this now mean that he could get her pregnant? He is only 4 months old and I think it is all happening very early, is this normal? Help would be much appreciated on this sensitive issue!

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Yes it is normal - don't panic

Is your friends dog due to come into season? If they are then I wouldn't have them stay unless you are able to keep them completely separate
    Whilst I would imagine it very rare for a dog as young as yours to impregnate a female I wouldn't want to risk it.

3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

By "an erection", can you be more specific?

Was his entire penis exposed and did it take a while for him to return to normal?

This type of event doesn't necessarily mean a male is fertile. Some dogs do it from time to time, but not many.

I would have thought four months old is too young for him to father pups. If your friend's bitch isn't in season, there won't be a problem.

Wiz201 likes this.
  4. leashedForLife

It's remotely possible he could sire a litter, but it's more likely he'd tie & not be fertile - however,
    he can still pass or catch STDs, as can any M or F partner, he can still be hurt in the process -
    as can the F! - by an unco-operative or suddenly upset F, by an accident, by another dog who
    comes by & intrudes, whatever.
    U can get him desexed anytime - there is no reason to wait. He'd actually heal faster, bleed less,
    scar less, & have fewer risks for complications if he's done now, rather than wait until he's 6-MO
    or more.

He is unlikely to produce fertile sperm, at 4-MO, in sufficient numbers to fertilize eggs - altho it
    does sometimes happen, so don't assume.
    U didn't say what triggered this supposed erection - straining to urinate or expel a BM will do it, it's
    not necessarily sexual, as it's also urinary plumbing, not just arousal.
    When U say it was the "whole thing", what do U mean?
    Did the bulbous swelling at the base keep the penis exposed, unable to withdraw? NORMALLY that
    only results after masturbation or friction, not mere excitement without physical contact.
    If he wasn't humping a stuffed toy or a hassock, i'd be concerned - there can be medical reasons, too,
    & a vet might be a good next step.
    If he was straining to void, again, a vet might be a good idea.
    If it was "only" 3 to 5 inches of penis that slipped back in fairly promptly, & it stayed moist, i wouldn't
    be too concerned. DRYNESS is a bad thing - it allows the penis to pick up any bacteria it brushes
    against, & carry it into the sheathe to incubate.
    If it stayed out long-enuf to be visibly dry or tacky, i'd head for the vet; they can encourage it back in,
    safely, & prevent complications.
    So what tripped the trigger?

5. Leam1307

Leam1307 PetForums Senior

Please if you are thinking of getting him neutered, wait until he is old enough, there is every reason to wait unlike what the poster above has said. Weigh up the pro's and con's carefully, there is more evidence to suggest getting them "done" younger causes more problems. Most vets will not do it until they are at least 6 months old and most like to wait until they are 18months.

6. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I agree that 4 months old is FAR too early! I live in a country where although its not illegal to neuter a dog, the majority of vets will only do it for medical reasons. My boy is 18 months and I don't intend to have him neutered as we're both happy the way things are.

7. Muttly

Muttly Fluffy Mutts Rule!

I had no idea you could neuter so young until while I was dropping of Muttly to be neutered there was a tiny and I mean tiny pup, being held by his owner, also going in for neutering. Don't know how old, but looked very very young, like 12 weeks!

8. leashedForLife

And what country would that be? :)
    I'm in the USA; there have been many retrospective & long-term studies on desex, here & abroad.
    The AVMA's position paper on pediatric desex is very clear: it's SAFE. That's done as young as the
    pup or kitten is of age to be adopted - between 8 & 12-WO, depending upon how soon there's an
    actual adopter who's pre-approved, & wants that specific animal.
    So long as the pup / kit is HEALTHY, & weighs a minimum of 2# [a half-kilo], they're fine.
    Literally millions of such "early-age" pediatric desex surgeries have been done, beginning as early
    as 1972.
    Australia's stats are the same - the younger pups & kits actually have FEWER complications &
    LOWER risks, bleed less, scar less, heal faster, are less-likely to have infection, etc, etc.

That's fine for U & Ur dog - but we're speaking here of the OP & their dog, not Urs.
    If Ur own dog developed behavioral issues directly related to being intact, desex is an obvious choice.

Yup - i've worked with many early-desex dogs & cats, they are normal, walk / run / play, aren't
    obese lumps as just like any other pet, WE * FILL * THE * BOWL, so If Ur pet is fat, U only need
    to look in the mirror to know who's at fault.
    At least half the shelter-adoptee dogs i knew from 1990 to 2000 went to Agility, & did well -
    & solidly 1/2 to 1/3 of them were ALL puppy-desex, snipped between 8 & 10-WO.
    By "did well" i don't mean ribbons or silver cups, i mean graceful & athletic - not klutzes,
    not ill-proportioned, no more prone to injury than any other dog.

9. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I think this is the advice I would follow primarily. Dogs (like humans) vary immensely at what age they can procreate. Unfortunately many an unwanted litter is accompanied by the phrase 'I didn't know they were old enough'.

So long as the visiting female isn't in season then all should be well ... though if the Testosterone is hitting then there may be interest if she even remotely smells interesting. An entire male terrier came over to see us (with owner) and played with my all girl troupe. Someone must have been giving off flirty hormones though as he spent the afternoon teeth chattering and behaving like a love sick (aka randy) puppy lol

J

10. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

11. BlackadderUK

BlackadderUK PetForums VIP

A dogs erection isn't always sexual, general excitement can cause the "lipstick" to show (meeting people or even feed times) & some dogs are more prone to it than others. As such, castration is unlikely to be of any use in the latter scenario as it doesn't prevent it!

12. alan1971

alan1971 PetForums Junior

He'll be humping your leg soon lol

13. Jamesgoeswalkies

Showing the lipstick can come from general arousal (and is common) but I don't tend to think of that an an erection. A full erection (we had a Cavalier who used to even surprise himself it was so large) is a different matter however and does show sexual arousal imo. This can be brought on through a number of activities that may or may not include a female ...masturbation in males is common and natural.

However, my previous advice stands ...always err on the side of caution lest you accidently get to hear the patter of tiny paws.

J

leashedForLife likes this.
  14. BlackadderUK

I was using the same terms the OP used & to someone not used to male dogs, quite appropriate.

#14 BlackadderUK, May 16, 2015
    Last edited: May 16, 2015
  15. Jamesgoeswalkies

The OP said 'I'm not talking about a little bit of lipstick I am talking about the full works!' so yup ...that kinda tells me it's 'sexual' (hormonally lead).

Probably wouldn't know what to do with it but as I said err on the side of caution if a female is visiting.

My wife was called to help a young JRT whose erection got stuck (out)... poor we man.

J

leashedForLife likes this.
  16. leashedForLife

This is very painful for the dog, & often results in compulsive licking in an attempt to both

ease the pain, AND get things back to normal - i-e, sheathed & painless. Unfortunately,
    repeated bouts of nonstop licking can actually make it worse - granulated tissue can de-
    velop, & the pain becomes excruciating.
    Dr Pol, a mixed-practice vet on Natl-Geo WILD-tv, recently desexed a M Boston [Bull And]
    Terrier with what appeared to be a bright red-pink cauliflower floret on the end of his penis;
    he was bleeding into his urine, AND bleeding thinly from the "wart".
    This wasn't 'a few drops' - his owner came home from work to find him lying in a puddle of
    blood the size of a dinner plate, but that was 7 to 10 days after the 'wart' 1st sprouted.
    All of it - the granular tissue, the bleeding, the pain - was the result of his androgen levels
    [testosterone] being very high, he "felt horny" & was very excitable, & licked himself often.
    The licking became habitual, then compulsive, & his own TONGUE irritated his penis, be-
    ginning the granular tissue, which became a growth. // Castration plus a soothing ointment to
    help heal his outraged mucosa heal was a success - the 'wart' shrank & resolved,
    & his com-
    pulsive licking stopped.

17. leashedForLife

#17 leashedForLife, May 18, 2015
    Last edited: May 18, 2015
  18. BlackadderUK

Attached Files:

#18 BlackadderUK, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015
  19. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

Uggh we have been through all this in another thread where people gave you links, research papers etc to show why it was bad, very bad in fact.......

WhippetyAmey and BlackadderUK like this.
  20. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Funnily enough we were discussing this earlier on. Colt my GSP was neutered by the rescue at 12-18 mnths of age just before he came to us. He still regularly gets very large erections that take ages to go down. He has never tried to hump my bitch or us, just looks very hunched up and anxious if anyone/other dog goes near him. Today he was walking around like John Wayne and kept looking at it like "WTF is that thing following me for". I usually take the other dogs out of the room and leave him until it has gone down. Point is neutering hasn't made any difference.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice