Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My puppy won't sleep

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by natalie9f, Jul 21, 2009.

1. natalie9f

natalie9f PetForums Newbie

I have just got an 8 week old puppy, and she has to sleep in my room because if she is left alone she cries. She is waking me up and 2 o clock, then 3, then 5 with very loud whimpering. I really don't know what to do and I am only getting 2 hours sleep a night. Help!

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You need to ignore her crying, no matter how hard it is.

If you pay attention to her, she wont ever stop as she is getting what she wants by doing so.

Are you crating her at all?

3. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Are you letting her out for a wee just before you put her to bed?
    Also she may be crying because she needs the toilet at that age she will not be able to hold it much!
    So when she whines you could pick her up put her out for a wee then put her back to bed!
    Not making a fuss about it or speaking to her! I know its hard but you need to ignore her

Are you using a crate!? Thats something else i would suggest!

4. davehyde

davehyde Banned

oh my.

you should be taking her out about every 2 hours to pee. their bladders cant hold it for much longer. it's like having a new baby, they need 24hr attention for a while.

remember she is only 8 weeks old and has just left her litter and mum too.

when mine was a small pup i slept in the same room on the couch and took him out about 2 hourly all through the night for the first 3 weeks or so.

he is now a fully housetrained 6 monther and a joy to be with. (well mostly)

5. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Have you got her in a crate? I would if i was you and you havn't yet. We had Logan in his crate in our room, we took him out 3 hourly for the toilet(gradually increasing the time in between toilet breaks) and if he woke in between we just soothed him by speaking softly until he settled back down. With Matrix we had to put our hand in to soothe him but then progressed to just speaking and then when they were going through the night we gradually moved the crates into the lounge, firstly in the hall then further and further away until they sleep through in the lounge. Logan is now 20weeks old and goes in his crate at 10pm and goes out to the loo when we get up at 6am.

Good luck.

My biggest tip would be not to make the night 'interesting', so no lights on, no chatting or playing and definately no feeding or you will be giving your pup a good reason to wake you up!! ;)

6. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

I too have an 8 week old puppy. I highly recommend crate training for the night time. I won't be bringing Nelly up to the bedroom, as upstairs is out of bounds for the time being. Although Nelly has been a good girl so far at night I do keep sneaking down to spy on her as I am hearing imaginary whimpering and the same in the day when she has her nap on her cushion even though she is silent! Sleep deprivation is a terrible thing though. It won't last forever - be strong and don't give in with the whimpering.

7. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Pick a place that is out of drafts, make sure its goes out for a pee before you go to bed, then put the puppy into the chosen place (crate if chosen, my mate uses crates but I dont, preferece really).
    Put the puppy into its bed area and then walk away and dont fuss over it at all, leave the puppy cry as they are like children if you give in then it will cry every time and you wont get any sleep then. As long as it is fed and pee'd etc then it is ok, put a toy into its bed to cuddle up into and keep it warm and it will be fine, dont worry what is one or two nights of crying going to do, after that your on your way to a nice night sleep and puppy learns that crying dont get it anywhere. Good luck, and enjoy little one. GIVE IT PRAISES IN THE MORNING AFTER IT HAVE HAD ITS FIRST PEE/POO. XXXX

8. natalie9f

natalie9f PetForums Newbie

Thankyou all for the advice, tryed leaving her on her own for a few nights and it seems to be working.

9. DebsPink

DebsPink PetForums Member

My 8 week old puppy really howls when left alone at night ( 3 nights so far) , although she's fine in the day if I go upstairs to the loo or get dressed etc. It's really hard but it is just like when you had to leave your babies to cry in their cots - they will get the message eventually ( I hope!!) Looks like we are all learning together - the hard way!

Debs x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice