Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

My Puppy won't go up or down stairs

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by GLottie, Nov 13, 2012.

1. GLottie

GLottie PetForums Newbie

Hello, I have a 16 week old puppy and I live in a flat which has one flight of stairs to get up to. When we first starting taking him outside he wouldn't go downstairs, which I know is common. However, he didn't have a problem running back up.

The last week, he was been refusing to walk back up the stairs. I have no idea what has changed. I have tried tempting him with treats, even putting treats on each step. I have tried getting excited and running up the stairs to see if he follows and I've also tried putting him on one step at a time. All with no joy, he is so stubborn and just sits there!

I am all out of ideas... Can anyone help?

2. MLB

MLB Guest

What breed of dog do you have?

Some dogs can't manage stairs where others can. I wouldn't be wanting any puppy to be going up or down stairs though because of their joints and the damage that climbing and decending stairs can do.

Mabe him refusing is trying to tell you something -It hurts me.

3. GLottie

GLottie PetForums Newbie

He is a pug cross. He is quite small.
    I did read that they shouldn't be using the stairs when they are too young and initially we stopped him. But, once we get inside he used to bound up them :confused:

4. button50

button50 PetForums VIP

My pug x is the same however he bombs up but refuses to get down i carry him, to be honest id rarther do that anyway as i have steep stairs. what cross is he and how old?

5. GLottie

GLottie PetForums Newbie

I think I'll just have to carry him. He is a 3/4 pug, 1/4 chihuahua and is 16weeks old

6. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

At 16 weeks he is young and for some dogs it is the going down that causes problems to their joints.

7. PennyGC

PennyGC PetForums VIP

even if your pup 'bounds' up stairs you should carry him up and down for some months yet, it's too much of a strain for young pups... then start with a few... I usually let my pups go up a few steps and build it gradually before introducing a few 'down'....

try getting on all fours at the top of a flight of stairs and see if you fancy it! It must look like a mountain to them....

8. BabyBlu

BabyBlu PetForums Senior

Should I stop my girl?? She is very active, nearly 12 weeks old. She will run up and down the stairs just for the hell of it when she is having one of her mad half hours.I cant fit a gate there. We are in a house with 2 flights of stairs

9. BabyBlu

BabyBlu PetForums Senior

she is a staffie by the way

10. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I would if you can. Chances are it may be ok but do you want to take that risk?

11. delca1

delca1 PetForums VIP

I always thought stairs were bad for a puppy, Indie is 5 months and hasn't been up or down the stairs at all. I also stop her jumping in or out of the car for the same reason, ours is quite high and I don't want her to jar her joints.
    Better to be over cautious :)

12. GLottie

GLottie PetForums Newbie

The only thing that worries me is that my pup will become used to being carried outside and although he is small I don't want a needy handbag dog :/

13. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

TBH ID stop them going up and down stairs fro as long as possible! I have 3 'handbag' dogs and tried to keep them from too much jumping and using the stairs for as long as I could. They all investigated the stairs in their own time with no intervention from me and are now quite happy going up and down (although I still discourage them from it).:rolleyes:

14. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

I agree with the people who say that pups shouldn't be going up and down stairs. It's irresponsible to let it happen - think of the pain and suffering you could be storing up for your dog in the future. Sorry if this offends anyone but there's no excuse for it and the remedy is simple. It's easy to fit a gate -you can get one like this that does not need any screwing to the wall

Buy Lindam Easy Fit Plus Child's Safety Gate at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Safety gates.

and it's much cheaper than paying endless vet fees for damaged hips and elbows, arthritis, hip dysplasia - all of which you are risking if you let your pup go up and down stairs.

15. BabyBlu

BabyBlu PetForums Senior

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice