UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 16 week old puppy and I live in a flat which has one flight of stairs to get up to. When we first starting taking him outside he wouldn't go downstairs, which I know is common. However, he didn't have a problem running back up.

The last week, he was been refusing to walk back up the stairs. I have no idea what has changed. I have tried tempting him with treats, even putting treats on each step. I have tried getting excited and running up the stairs to see if he follows and I've also tried putting him on one step at a time. All with no joy, he is so stubborn and just sits there!

I am all out of ideas... Can anyone help?

G

·
What breed of dog do you have?

Some dogs can't manage stairs where others can. I wouldn't be wanting any puppy to be going up or down stairs though because of their joints and the damage that climbing and decending stairs can do.

Mabe him refusing is trying to tell you something -It hurts me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is a pug cross. He is quite small.
I did read that they shouldn't be using the stairs when they are too young and initially we stopped him. But, once we get inside he used to bound up them :confused:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
My pug x is the same however he bombs up but refuses to get down i carry him, to be honest id rarther do that anyway as i have steep stairs. what cross is he and how old?

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
He is a pug cross. He is quite small.
I did read that they shouldn't be using the stairs when they are too young and initially we stopped him. But, once we get inside he used to bound up them :confused:
At 16 weeks he is young and for some dogs it is the going down that causes problems to their joints.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
even if your pup 'bounds' up stairs you should carry him up and down for some months yet, it's too much of a strain for young pups... then start with a few... I usually let my pups go up a few steps and build it gradually before introducing a few 'down'....

try getting on all fours at the top of a flight of stairs and see if you fancy it! It must look like a mountain to them....

·
Registered
580 Posts
Should I stop my girl?? She is very active, nearly 12 weeks old. She will run up and down the stairs just for the hell of it when she is having one of her mad half hours.I cant fit a gate there. We are in a house with 2 flights of stairs

·
Still missing my boys
42,329 Posts
Should I stop my girl?? She is very active, nearly 12 weeks old. She will run up and down the stairs just for the hell of it when she is having one of her mad half hours.I cant fit a gate there. We are in a house with 2 flights of stairs
I would if you can. Chances are it may be ok but do you want to take that risk?

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I always thought stairs were bad for a puppy, Indie is 5 months and hasn't been up or down the stairs at all. I also stop her jumping in or out of the car for the same reason, ours is quite high and I don't want her to jar her joints.
Better to be over cautious :)

·
Registered
23,250 Posts
TBH ID stop them going up and down stairs fro as long as possible! I have 3 'handbag' dogs and tried to keep them from too much jumping and using the stairs for as long as I could. They all investigated the stairs in their own time with no intervention from me and are now quite happy going up and down (although I still discourage them from it).:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
I agree with the people who say that pups shouldn't be going up and down stairs. It's irresponsible to let it happen - think of the pain and suffering you could be storing up for your dog in the future. Sorry if this offends anyone but there's no excuse for it and the remedy is simple. It's easy to fit a gate -you can get one like this that does not need any screwing to the wall

Buy Lindam Easy Fit Plus Child's Safety Gate at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Safety gates.

and it's much cheaper than paying endless vet fees for damaged hips and elbows, arthritis, hip dysplasia - all of which you are risking if you let your pup go up and down stairs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.